IPad and Montana 650

No. There are only a couple of tablets that have host controller firmware that would allow that. In addition Apple has the absolute most restrictive controls on what you can put on. I say that as a iPad owner. I bought it knowing the restrictions and it is by far the best tablet available having had one prior and checking out many at best buy. I just had to give up interfacing with my Montana.

The 650t should appeal to people with active lifestyles, as well as those that aspire to have one, the display is terrific, 650t will tell you a lot of information about the entire world. it will make a good choice if you are looking for multifunctional GPS Device.

The 650t should appeal to people with active lifestyles, as well as those that aspire to have one, the display is terrific, 650t will tell you a lot of information about the entire world. it will make a good choice if you are looking for multifunctional GPS Device.

You should read my OP again. I already have a Montana 650T. Getting an Ipad soon for work.

Did you read the post?

You can transfer files between your iPad and your GPS (or any other USB mass-storage device) if you have a wireless router at home that supports a USB port. Examples would be Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule models, Linksys E1550-RM, D-Link DI-624S, others.

When I get home from any activity using the GPS, I plug the GPS into the USB port on my router -- and it shows up as a shared volume to every computer on my home network.

You can transfer files between your iPad and your GPS (or any other USB mass-storage device) if you have a wireless router at home that supports a USB port. Examples would be Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule models, Linksys E1550-RM, D-Link DI-624S, others.

When I get home from any activity using the GPS, I plug the GPS into the USB port on my router -- and it shows up as a shared volume to every computer on my home network.

I know this has come up before but don't know if have seen this solution. If I got it right I can plug my Montana in and move files. Two in particular. 1- the visits file so I can load it to the froggie. 2-I can download a gpx file aka PG.

Do I have that correct?

Yes, I've mentioned it before but I'll have to dig up the post ... (dig, dig, dig) ah, HERE it is. It does require file manager software on the iPhone or iPad. The one I mentioned in that old post might not be the best choice (a bit cumbersome, too many steps required to do simple things). But I haven't gotten around to trying out others.

Edited by user13371

I remember that post. Buying a router just to carry around for that is a little pricey. I am heading out for two weeks and if I didn't need my laptop for geocaching I wouldn't even take it. Keep hoping someone comes up with a way to use the various USB to iPad adapters for general info instead of just video, photos, etc.

No, I wasn't presenting that idea as a way to copy files to/from the GPS "in the field." Strictly for home use, and only helpful in a couple of scenarios:

- Folks who want to access their GPS from some Apple flavoured iThing.

- Or as I use it, I can plug my GPS into the router and access its data from any of the computers in the house without having to move anything else around.

Still, it could be a "field solution" if you had a pocket hotspot with an SD or microSD card slot. I agree it would be silly and expensive to buy "just" for geocaching - but those hotspots are useful on the road regardless.

Edited by user13371