Memory Map on iPhone

Ladysolly is fed up with the Mio and wants a replacement - she says it keeps crashing, and can take forever to get running again. At the last event I attended, Jeff Bones showed me his Montana 650, and I was very impressed because he showed me he can use Memory Map maps (and I have a full UK set of those). So I did some research, I'm looking at £300 for a Montana 600. More research - the Memory Map Adventurer is £250. And then I had a blinding flash of light - she's got an iPhone, which she adores.

So I looked on the Memory Map web site, and they offer memory Map for iPhone for £4.99. I seem to remember looking a while back and it was something like ten times that? Anyway, £4.99 sounds good.

Then I read the reviews. two thirds of them said "Rubbish" "Ripoff" "don't buy". One third said "Excellent", "great". That's a weird situation, so I read them more carefully, and what the "Ripoff" people were saying, is you can't put your existing Memory Map maps onto the iPhone app.

But the Memory Map web site says you can.

So I formed the hypothesis that you can, but some people couldn't work out how to, or did it wrong, or something.

So we splashed out £4.99. Call me insanely bold.

Then I followed the procedure on the Memory Map web site for installing the maps, and hey presto - maps. OS mapes, 1:50,000 which is ladysolly's favourite.

Then I looked at the procedure on the Memory Map web site for putting GPX files on, and fell about laughing. They think you have to email the GPX files to yourself. My GPX files are several megabytes, and it's insane to send them across the internet them to gmail so that I can then download them from gmail to the iPhone. And, of course, you don't have to, I found a *much* quicker and easier way.

Memory Map on the iPhone is cheap, and it works, and you can use your already-bought maps, and you can transfer GPX files from your PC (you can make them using GSAK, or just use PQs), and the app itself is easy to use, and ladysolly is a very happy bunny. Oh, and by the way, it also works on her iPad.

Here's my blog on how I did all this.

http://drsolly.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/memory-map-on-iphone.html

The reason the descriptions show the convoluted method of loading GPX files is that the app predated Apple's application data file syncing facility. When Apple introduced that facility, Memory Map (eventually) implemented it, but it sounds like they haven't updated the instructions.

It works well, except for one thing - the GPS files import the co-ordinates, but not the cache descriptions, hints, types, etc. And there is no way to link Memory Map to any offline program that does show them - another Apple restriction.

I've had Memory Map and all the maps installed for more than 2 years, and I always copy the GPX file before I go out, just in case, but in practice I've never ever used it for caching. Just using it for the maps is great, though, the display is superb except for very bright sunlight.

Rgds, Andy

It works well, except for one thing - the GPS files import the co-ordinates, but not the cache descriptions, hints, types, etc. And there is no way to link Memory Map to any offline program that does show them - another Apple restriction.

Rgds, Andy

I've partially got round that, by inserting types and hints into the "description" field. So I know what size, trad/multi/whatever and I have the hint.

I haven't done any work on how to put the cache page on, but if I can see how to run a browser on the iPhone, then I can put that info on as html and link to that; that's the way I do it on the Mio and the Loox.

Yes, the display is really pretty.

I haven't done any work on how to put the cache page on, but if I can see how to run a browser on the iPhone, then I can put that info on as html and link to that; that's the way I do it on the Mio and the Loox.

I am still running relatively old tech and so don't have personal experience of doing that (a K800i to view cache page info in html via GSAK), but my son showed me the Google Chrome app he had on his iPod yesterday. That may help you with this bit.

I've partially got round that, by inserting types and hints into the "description" field. So I know what size, trad/multi/whatever and I have the hint.

As you say, that's better than nothing, but I'd much prefer there to be a way to show the whole page. The iPhone has (a mobile version of) Safari on it, but Apple keep apps segregated and I don't think there is a way to 1) download the pages from GSAK to an offline store such that Safari can see them, and 2) link Memory Map to Safari to display the page, and 3) easily get back to Memory Map from Safari without going via the main menu.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

drsolly,

Have you tried (or do you know if it is possible) to get custom icons on Memory Map under iOS? I've had a little scouting around on Google and can find lots of references for how to do it on the PC but nothing for mobile devices.

Many thanks,

Alex.

When you say "mobile devices", there is no problem on MemoryMap for WinMobile (PocketPC), but I'd be surprised if you can do it on an iPhone.

Rgds, Andy

As you say, that's better than nothing, but I'd much prefer there to be a way to show the whole page. The iPhone has (a mobile version of) Safari on it, but Apple keep apps segregated and I don't think there is a way to 1) download the pages from GSAK to an offline store such that Safari can see them, and 2) link Memory Map to Safari to display the page, and 3) easily get back to Memory Map from Safari without going via the main menu.

Rgds, Andy

There might be a way to do it. There's a http server that you can run on the iPhone, and maybe if you used the address 127.0.0.1 the iPhone browser would look at the iPhone server and Bob's your uncle, because I already have the cache pages as HTML files. If that is possible, then I do know how to create a GPX such that Safari will see the HTML files.

I don't know if anyone has done it - it's entirely possible that I could go to all the trouble of setting this up, only to find that APple already thought of it and don't allow 127.0.0.1 in an URL, or something norrid like that.

drsolly,

Have you tried (or do you know if it is possible) to get custom icons on Memory Map under iOS? I've had a little scouting around on Google and can find lots of references for how to do it on the PC but nothing for mobile devices.

Many thanks,

Alex.

When you say "mobile devices", there is no problem on MemoryMap for WinMobile (PocketPC), but I'd be surprised if you can do it on an iPhone.

Rgds, Andy

I use my own scheme for icons on the PocketPC (Mio and Loox) but I can't see an easy way to do it on iOS.

Easiest way I have found to get gpx files to iPad is via DropBox. fantastic app. Install on your pc and on you iOS device(s), then it just wirelessly syncs the files you put in the shared Dropbox folder between them all. No fannying about with iTunes and all that stuff rolleyes.gif

Jon

Easiest way I have found to get gpx files to iPad is via DropBox. fantastic app. Install on your pc and on you iOS device(s), then it just wirelessly syncs the files you put in the shared Dropbox folder between them all. No fannying about with iTunes and all that stuff rolleyes.gif

Jon

Does it put the GPX files into the right locations? I want the same GPX file to be loaded by MemoryMap and GeoSphere, can it do that?

Not that it's a big deal, doing it via iTunes is extremely easy.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel
1341348244[/url]' post='5073788']
1341338181[/url]' post='5073674']

Jon

Does it put the GPX files into the right locations? I want the same GPX file to be loaded by MemoryMap and GeoSphere, can it do that?

Rgds, Andy

It makes the GPX files available to any GPX associated apps on the iOS device. Thus on my device I can load them to Memory Map, iGeoKnife, Landranger and GPS HD applications. I don't use GeoSphere, but imagine that will be the same.... Dropbox is free, so try it and see. You only have to start paying if you use squigabytes of data with it ;)

Jon

1341348482[/url]' post='5073792']

Jon

Rgds, Andy

It makes the GPX files available to any GPX associated apps on the iOS device. Thus on my device I can load them to Memory Map, iGeoKnife, Landranger and GPS HD applications. I don't use GeoSphere, but imagine that will be the same.... Dropbox is free, so try it and see. You only have to start paying if you use squigabytes of data with it ;)

Jon

Forgot to add, it works for photo's too.... Any pics you take on you iOS device can be synced to your desktop or other Dropbox device automatically.

Jon

1341348482[/url]' post='5073792']

Jon

Rgds, Andy

Jon

Forgot to add, it works for photo's too.... Any pics you take on you iOS device can be synced to your desktop or other Dropbox device automatically.

Jon

You mentioned that this app works by loading files from drop box. Would this also work using "documents to go" on the iphone/ipad as i use this app already to edit documents.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. Just went to look at it and it says "DropBox Cloud Storage". Is that the only way it works? If it's cloud, I won't use it on principle, if it syncs directly I'll look further (though I have to say that I can't at present see how it is any easier than iTunes).

Rgds, Andy

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. Just went to look at it and it says "DropBox Cloud Storage". Is that the only way it works? If it's cloud, I won't use it on principle, if it syncs directly I'll look further (though I have to say that I can't at present see how it is any easier than iTunes).

Rgds, Andy

What's the principle involved?

I don't like trusting anyone else with my data any more than is necessary. This is from a both a safety and security perspective. Admittedly it would be no big deal if a GPX file was either lost or compromised, but for most of my stuff it would. I just feel happier keeping it under my control.

If there was a big advantage to it, then that would be offset against the risk, but so far I haven't seen one in my environment.

Rgds, Andy

I don't like trusting anyone else with my data any more than is necessary. This is from a both a safety and security perspective. Admittedly it would be no big deal if a GPX file was either lost or compromised, but for most of my stuff it would. I just feel happier keeping it under my control.

If there was a big advantage to it, then that would be offset against the risk, but so far I haven't seen one in my environment.

Rgds, Andy

OK. I'd have thought that for a GPX file, safety and security don't matter. The info is public info, if you lose it you can easily make a replacement, for this pparticular type of file, I don't see any risk. But I do think it's pointless copying data up to the cloud in order to copy it back down again. I use iTunes and copy the GPX file from my own server to the iPhone.

I'd agree with you about many other kinds of data, though.

Back on the subject of Memory Map on iPhone. I've worked out how to make the GPX file colour-code for the type of cache, and how to use different icons for micro/non-micro/problem with cache.

On the down side - I actually tried to use it yesterday. It seems to take a *very* long time to settle on where it is, much longer than my Loox. I suspect it's taking too long over averaging (I have it set to ten seconds, which is as low as it will go). I'll have to use it some more.

Back on the subject of Memory Map on iPhone. I've worked out how to make the GPX file colour-code for the type of cache, and how to use different icons for micro/non-micro/problem with cache.

Is this something you would have time to produce some instructions for or maybe I could pick your brains at the Geolympix about it.

Jon

Rgds, Andy

Yup, uses cloud storage space.

Regarding using older MM maps on the iPhone, you need to make them not look like OS maps, this fools the MM application into treating them as generic maps and thus they work. Got all my 1:25k and 1:50k maps for the UK on the 'pad and it works a treat.

Jon.

I thought I'd try this so followed Dr S's guide. Bought the app and installed it on the phone. In iTunes I don't see the 'apps' under my phone (in the left pane). If I click on Apps under the Library link upper left I can see all the apps I've got there but can't do anything with them. So the click and drag your maps files won't work. On the phone itself it says I can only transfer maps I've bought. I have a 3GS, is this function of transferring your own PC MMap files only available on the iPhone 4??

Edit to add.. forget the above. Finally saw where you had to do it. I'm not a 'power user' of iTunes!!

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

I thought I'd try this so followed Dr S's guide. Bought the app and installed it on the phone. In iTunes I don't see the 'apps' under my phone (in the left pane). If I click on Apps under the Library link upper left I can see all the apps I've got there but can't do anything with them. So the click and drag your maps files won't work. On the phone itself it says I can only transfer maps I've bought. I have a 3GS, is this function of transferring your own PC MMap files only available on the iPhone 4??

Edit to add.. forget the above. Finally saw where you had to do it. I'm not a 'power user' of iTunes!!

Chris

Just to clarify, you have got it all working now?

Rgds, Andy

I gave the iphone a good workout today, trying to use it as a GPS. I don't think it's much good, read

my blog for details.

The 3GS had a very poor quality GPSr, the 4 and the 4S are considerably better (and, incidentaly, so is network coverage).

I know it doesn't help you at all, but any delays in updating are due to the apps rather than the GPSr itself. MM in particular uses extended averaging - this was considered desirable on the 3GS because of the poor receiver, it's not necessary on later models but the program continues to do it.

Can't comment much on the GS app - I have it, but can't get on with the user interface at all.

What I would like is an app with an interface similar to an Oregon.

Rgds, Andy

Chris

Just to clarify, you have got it all working now?

Rgds, Andy

Yes, thanks! Not sure if iTunes has changed but the layout on the screen was a bit different to Dr S's guide which of course I followed slavishly. Got the 1:50K on the phone now but not really sure why. I use an Oregon with the OS maps and it's much better and of course the battery lasts rather longer than the iPhone. I guess we try these things out for the simple reason, we can!

Chris

I gave the iphone a good workout today, trying to use it as a GPS. I don't think it's much good, read

my blog for details.

The 3GS had a very poor quality GPSr, the 4 and the 4S are considerably better (and, incidentaly, so is network coverage).

I know it doesn't help you at all, but any delays in updating are due to the apps rather than the GPSr itself. MM in particular uses extended averaging - this was considered desirable on the 3GS because of the poor receiver, it's not necessary on later models but the program continues to do it.

Can't comment much on the GS app - I have it, but can't get on with the user interface at all.

What I would like is an app with an interface similar to an Oregon.

Rgds, Andy

I've got the iPhone geocaching app and it's pretty good but fails miserably if you don't have a data connection. You can download your PQ for offline use of course. From a reviewers point of view the iPhone isn't much use for placing caches because of the way it calculates it's position. People use it without fully understanding this and blindly assume the position show is correct. They also use any maps they have on it to see where they are. Trouble is, an inacuracy of 100 feet on the maps may not look like anything but on the cache itself it's pretty bad. Worst I've seen is an error of 19 miles! I suppose having the phone is a useful back with both caches and maps on it in case the GPS fails.

Chris

I've got the iPhone geocaching app and it's pretty good but fails miserably if you don't have a data connection. You can download your PQ for offline use of course.

The "official" app fails to work for me at just about every level. I don't get on with the UI. The places I go it's normal not to have a data connection. Even if I have one, it's usually too slow to get maps in a reasonable time. Without maps I find the main display almost useless. The only "PQs" it can get are ones directly from GS, whereas I generate my own from GSAK, the ones I generate on GS are not appropriate to use directly.

I carry it only as a "backup" to the Oregon, but I would have to be pretty desperate to actually resort to it :laughing:

Rgds, Andy

1343032448[/url]' post='5084414']
1342940584[/url]' post='5083895']

I've got the iPhone geocaching app and it's pretty good but fails miserably if you don't have a data connection. You can download your PQ for offline use of course.

The "official" app fails to work for me at just about every level. I don't get on with the UI. The places I go it's normal not to have a data connection. Even if I have one, it's usually too slow to get maps in a reasonable time. Without maps I find the main display almost useless. The only "PQs" it can get are ones directly from GS, whereas I generate my own from GSAK, the ones I generate on GS are not appropriate to use directly.

I carry it only as a "backup" to the Oregon, but I would have to be pretty desperate to actually resort to it :laughing:

Rgds, Andy

Have you tried the iGeoKnife application on the iOS? Seems to work very well for me.

Toodles

Jon

Have you tried the iGeoKnife application on the iOS? Seems to work very well for me.

That is very interesting Jon. I do have GeoSphere, which is quite good as an offline database, and currently I load that with the same GPX that I use for the Oregon.

£2.49 is cheap enough to try iGeoKnife though. However, there is one possible issue. My GSAK database contains 140,000 caches. It's going to take a long time to transfer that and keep it up to data on the iPhone. And it wouldn't surprise me it I broke the program :lol: . But worth a try.

Rgds, Andy

That is very interesting Jon. I do have GeoSphere, which is quite good as an offline database, and currently I load that with the same GPX that I use for the Oregon.

£2.49 is cheap enough to try iGeoKnife though. However, there is one possible issue. My GSAK database contains 140,000 caches. It's going to take a long time to transfer that and keep it up to data on the iPhone. And it wouldn't surprise me it I broke the program :lol: . But worth a try.

Rgds, Andy

Well, I bought it, and my database didn't break it :lol: . But, understandably, it is a bit slow loading up. It's quite nice, but I think I'll probably carry on using GeoSphere because it loads the photos too.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Rgds, Andy

I download all the caches I need at home to use offline when out caching. It works pretty well when out in the field and I use it almost exclusively now when driving around. Battery life is poor but I have an extender which keeps it going longer.

Ms Teuchters uses the trusty GPSMap60CSx, but I like the iPhone app for the other things I can see on it - recent logs, hint, description etc.

Nick

Edited by Teuchters