The HEAT!

Luckily I'm on a slow pace anyway so no. I'm working towards a few challenges, each of which get satisfied by me landing 3+ caches per day on my stats grid. Days where I've already achieved that in past years means a day off of caching.

Plus, there is nothing better than hiking up a steep hill in 113 degree weather in Phoenix! :unsure:

Valley Snow finally melted back at first of June... just finishing melting a bit higher up. It has been blocking the last unfound cache near town... but now there are some more on the other side of the valley...

So yeah! You might say the heat (lack of) has been a problem... So has the rain and high stream levels. But it's July 1st and things are looking better. Probably won't get high level snow until Mid August or September. But I'm keeping the skis and snowshoes handy.

But the fire tools are in the front, just in case.

Doug 7rxc

Yes, the heat has been keeping me home a lot lately. But sometimes I go out anyway, and sweat a lot. I don't mind it too much as long as I actually do find something. But it's annoying to go through the trouble of braving the heat only to come up empty.

I normally love warm weather, but part of me is wishing it were fall already, especially because I don't like having to deal with all the plant growth and insects.

Ugh for this last couple weeks the heat has been a monster here, I have actually had plenty of time to go caching but declined due to the heat, how is everyone else coping, and has it slowed down your caching?

Only 72 finds since you joined in November. Can't see that the heat has slowed you down a bit.

I work two jobs one full time another part live/work on a farm with over a 150 head of cattle, and take online classes for a master degree. So excuse me if I do not have the time and energy to cache as much as the next guy... I see you are mature in age but not in manners, that's a shame.

Yepper

117º and running the truck with THE HEATER ON to keep the engine from overheating does slow one down.

Been there for that delightful bit of fun.

I had to do that one summer in high school delivering food, never in triple digits but I can still feel your pain.

I work two jobs one full time another part live/work on a farm with over a 150 head of cattle, and take online classes for a master degree. So excuse me if I do not have the time and energy to cache as much as the next guy... I see you are mature in age but not in manners, that's a shame.

High of 97º with typical NJ humidity. Decided against the 4 mile hike on the rail trail. Oh, well. So we substituted cache and dashes!

But I have learnt never to insult anyone in the forum. That's against guidelines. A lesson that you should learn.

Ugh for this last couple weeks the heat has been a monster here, I have actually had plenty of time to go caching but declined due to the heat, how is everyone else coping, and has it slowed down your caching?

Only 72 finds since you joined in November. Can't see that the heat has slowed you down a bit.

The proper way in which to respond to a forum guideline violation like GeoTrekker26's post is to report it to the moderating team rather than compounding the problem by returning fire. Another option is to simply ignore the post about your find count.

So, both of you, behave yourselves.

The heat has slowed us down, but it's the yo-yoing temps and humidity that are killing me. We've been getting rainstorms every day or every other day, which changes the temperature by 30 degrees and increases the already ridiculous humidity; my arthritis and fibromyalgia are kicking my butt. I currently look like I'm trying to be a mummy, with both knees and an ankle wrapped, and that means no caching, since nobody in the house really likes park and grabs.

Mostly we're just holing up in the house or staying in the pool. I hope the heat breaks soon.

ETA: Admittedly, we're pretty slow to begin with... I can't cache every day, and even when I do, we search for maybe 3 or 4 at a time. :P

Edited by Lady Loki

Lots and lots of water and shorter distance when hiking. Going earlier in the morning too but that doesn't seem to help much this past weekend here in Ohio. Oh, something unique did help cool me off today....was looking for a cache in an old fashioned phone booth. Of course, it was 98 degrees out and probably 140 degrees inside that glass-enclosed death trap. When I stepped outside into the 98 degree air, it felt refreshing! (Oh, of course the cache was hidden outside of the booth ohmy.gif)

Edited by geoCATing

It's been in the lower to upper 90's, and I've been caching (trekked about 15 miles today) in jeans/dress pants, dress shirts, and a bow-tie. I am not a normal person but I do not try to be.

Edited by As_ter

Southeastern Norway is hovering around 16-18 degrees (that would be in the low 60's for you across the pond) with a constant drizzle and gusts of cool wind. In other words, it's a pretty normal summer for N60 E010. The caching speed is as it usually is; 2-3 per week ;)

I try to finish my 2-5 caches in a morning on the days I can go before 10:00am because of the heat. Haven't been able to go since last week and probably not for another week. Dogs got into a terrible fight and having to to do meds and baths for two of them since then for a few more days. I would love to go every day but that will never happen...

I have no choice right now but to cache in the heat. I am on a five week vacation in Italy reconectoing with some cousins I have not seen on 37 years, while they are working I am gaching this week under the Tuscan sun. The temps are about 100 and the caches are well spread out (maybe a few miles appart) I just carry lots of water one liter with me when out of the car and one in the car,and keep drinking it. They will last me about 3 or 4 hours. Some of the caches here are old school, get out of the car and hike and even a little 1/2 mile is a challenge hiking up a hill in 100 degree weather an being 62 years old adds to the challege. In closing do not sit home grab a bunch of water an just do it.

Even in a city like florence you have to walk to the caches, driving is not an option, but who care it's Florence. Who cares about the heat when you are caching in Italy.

I have no choice right now but to cache in the heat. I am on a five week vacation in Italy reconectoing with some cousins I have not seen on 37 years, while they are working I am gaching this week under the Tuscan sun. The temps are about 100 and the caches are well spread out (maybe a few miles appart) I just carry lots of water one liter with me when out of the car and one in the car,and keep drinking it. They will last me about 3 or 4 hours. Some of the caches here are old school, get out of the car and hike and even a little 1/2 mile is a challenge hiking up a hill in 100 degree weather an being 62 years old adds to the challege. In closing do not sit home grab a bunch of water an just do it.

Even in a city like florence you have to walk to the caches, driving is not an option, but who care it's Florence. Who cares about the heat when you are caching in Italy.

Not good advice when the heat can cause someone with physical limitations some very serious problems. I've been in the hospital enough this year already, I'd rather not go back just yet.

Not good advice when the heat can cause someone with physical limitations some very serious problems. I've been in the hospital enough this year already, I'd rather not go back just yet.

but most geocachers are fit enough to go out and grab a few caches on a hot day, I have limitaions, there are times when I have trouble walking a long distance but most times I do not. To paraphrase Dirty Harry in Magnum Force, "A cacher has to know his limitations"

It's been hot in the MidWest for the past couple of weeks. We've slowed down a bit; the kids don't like going out when it's really hot out. Eight of the last nine days have been at least 96 and they say it's going to be another 5 or 6 days until it breaks. It's so hot out even the ticks don't like it.

We take advantage to work on some puzzles that have proven better than us, and there were some recently added Library Puzzle caches that were indoors and lots of fun. We've also done some easy park and grabs just to keep active.

We cope. It's all we know how to do.

Finally broke 70* here today (an hour north of Seattle). We found 9 caches today on a 5 mile hike. We can't wait for the warmer weather to get here and summer to finally start!

Yes, I was so glad to see the sun today! I almost didn't know what it was.

I put some shorts on,.once.I.dug them up, and sat in the sun a while.

It's been an incredibly rainy spring here.

I have slowed down caching lately though, there is so much going on here in the summer months, whether its good weather or not.

Finally broke 70* here today (an hour north of Seattle). We found 9 caches today on a 5 mile hike. We can't wait for the warmer weather to get here and summer to finally start!

wow- I'm jealous ! :) maybe I won't have to retire to Alaska, I'll just move to WA. I've been up the Washington coast, on a road trip . didn't spend time in the big cities or go N of rte 90 but loved the northwest, ESP the coast. beautiful place. it's been in the 90s out here in NE Ohio. wanna trade? ;)

Absolutely!

Always has .. we do very little caching after June, and start up again in Sept.

Caching is supposed to be fun, and I find no fun in sweating buckets while fighting bugs and poison plants!

About the only caching activities we do during the summer will be maintenance on our caches if required, and maybe hide one or two.

Of course, a new cache close to home might get me to venture out! :D

Edited by BC & MsKitty

The heat hasn't slowed me down, but it has made me even less likely to log a cache online.

Vater_Araignee,

Please explain. I fail to see the logic of why the heat would make you less likely to log caches online.

As I'm sure you can tell from the post I don't log every cache anyway, but I also wont log wile in a bad mood and the longer it takes me to log a cache, the less likely I am to log it.

This is the first time in my life I can remember the heat effecting my temperament like this, normally I love the heat and the hotter it got the better my mood would be.

It hasn't slowed me down... it's just CHANGED what I'm looking for. This past week I completed the Maryland's Best Ice Cream Geotrail. It was fun. It was a LOT (a really LOT) of driving... but it gave me a purpose! I had something I was AFTER! And once I had the ice cream caches in each area, then I just picked up a few C&D's. The ice cream caches were all VERY EASY hides also ... no hiking involved. However, I put over 1000 miles on my car! LOL! Maryland is definitely NOT used to triple digit heat... and with our humidity it IS torture! But the car has AC - and music! So it was good! This coming week is supposed to be about 20 degrees cooler! WOOT! :)