Looking for a easy to use GPX editor

We've got an Garmin Oregon 450 a few months back and apart from other nice features, we were hoping to go 'paperless'. In reality it turns out we use less paper than before, but unfortunately not completely paperless...

The problem we're running into is different languages. We've been to Portugal and France recently and in both countries a lot of the descriptions are in Portuguese/French. As we're not fluent (...) in either language, I translate cache descriptions/hints and print that out, so we at least have some idea what we're supposed to be looking for and/or what the location is about.

(Additionally, for some caches we'd love to add our cache notes or other comments. And there's more wishes, but those all boil down to being able to edit the cache description).

I've tried using notepad++ to edit a pocket query; it works, it's just not very easy. EasyGPS doesn't seem to have an option to edit the description/hints. I tested GSAK and that would be an option, but it is quite a lot overkill for only editing descriptions/hints (and also comes with some annoying quirks, though I could get used to that I suppose).

So I'm looking for suggestions/alternatives.

TIA,

Mr. Terratin

We've got an Garmin Oregon 450 a few months back and apart from other nice features, we were hoping to go 'paperless'. In reality it turns out we use less paper than before, but unfortunately not completely paperless...

... for some caches we'd love to add our cache notes or other comments. And there's more wishes, but those all boil down to being able to edit the cache description).

.... EasyGPS doesn't seem to have an option to edit the description/hints....

Mr. Terratin

All my Garmins are from the pre-paperless era, so I can't test exactly what EasyGPS can do for you. I am also seeing that if you Create/Edit a GEOCACHE in EasyGPS you do not have access to the Description field. BUT, try creating a new WAYPOINT and then there is a Description field for me. I have no idea if this would help you at all. A recent group of WAYPOINTS that I created (temp caches for newbie training) in EasyGPS worked great on my units. I also made it available to others. Worked great on several units, but turned out to be not quite what I was expecting when it was loaded onto an Oregon. I'm still quite new to this facet of EasyGPS. Let me know if you find anything under WAYPOINTS that helps you with this problem. I am still trying to understand it better myself.

I have cached in other countries and had this issue as well. Currently I do the same as you. I do not have a paperless GPSr, but use the CacheSense app on my smartphone for the paperless. I have often wondered if any other geocaching apps have a feature to integrate with the Google translate API for this purpose. That would be a really slick feature. Maybe something you could suggest (assuming you have a smartphone) on these forums.

Thanks for the input.

I can find my way around XML files, it's more a problem of those being rather long and quite cluttered making it a nuisance editing them directly.

I also realized there's a second separate issue: I don't like the additional waypoints naming convention. Instead of AA3BCX7 I'd much more prefer GC3BCX7_WP1 or something. Thus grouping the waypoints with the caches (which mostly is an issue on our Garmin Vista). Again I could edit that other GPX file coming with the pocket query...

With that, I guess GSAK is the way to go. Or I need to build my own editor, which for sure wouldn't be finished before our next trip :)

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

The problem we're running into is different languages. We've been to Portugal and France recently and in both countries a lot of the descriptions are in Portuguese/French. As we're not fluent (...) in either language, I translate cache descriptions/hints and print that out, so we at least have some idea what we're supposed to be looking for and/or what the location is about.

(Additionally, for some caches we'd love to add our cache notes or other comments. And there's more wishes, but those all boil down to being able to edit the cache description).

I've tried using notepad++ to edit a pocket query; it works, it's just not very easy. EasyGPS doesn't seem to have an option to edit the description/hints. I tested GSAK and that would be an option, but it is quite a lot overkill for only editing descriptions/hints (and also comes with some annoying quirks, though I could get used to that I suppose).

TIA,

Mr. Terratin

Sounds to me like maybe this is exactly what you are looking for?

I agree with "Bear and Ragged ". There may be a learning curve to GSAK but it is the most complete program out there IMHO.

You can cut and paste information/data from any source and add that data to the user note and log section for any geocache.

Edited by phlatlander

TIA,

Mr. Terratin

(gsak)Well To Translate the hint into your language, you could use HintTranslationHelper or you could use HTML_Translate, both are macros and may help you though he last one only translates on the computer, it doesn't appear on your gps from what it sounds like, it may help you with gsak