Sad Faces on the Map

Redn3ck

This comes up almost monthly.

Think of it another way... Did you find it? No! Therefore it is a yet unfound cache and is properly marked as such.

Your suggestion is not without merit. It has been posed a bunch of times before. I (almost) suspect that TPTB may be working on it.

In the meantime, it is a box icon because you still haven't found it. A blue "frowny face" wouldn't alter it's status.

The icons indicate if a cache has been found or not found. If a cache has been searched for and not found it's still not found, so there's no need to add more icons.

The need is that cachers have requested it. Would be nice.

When I log a cache, there are several possibilities: Found, DNF, Needs Maintenace, Needs archived, Note (attended. Webcam photo taken).

These are the icon for logging. No reason the icons should not show on the map as well.

any way we could get sad faces to show up on our dnf's? :ph34r:

so we know we need to go back and try it again ?

I've thought the same thing and I'd like to see that too. When we are looking on the large map we see the 'unfound cache' icon and say "why didn't we find that one when we were in the area making all the other finds". Then we click on it and remember that we looked but logged a DNF. A sad face would remind us that we had looked with no success and we could decide if it was one we would bother with again or try again. It would be a big time saver for us.

I agree with the above comments about having a DNF icon. It would be very useful. Perhaps a blue or grey frowny face would be great. Also can we not keep the smilies when you zoom out rather than the icons changing back to the unfound icons. I have a lot of smilies around me :D :D and it would be great if they did not disappear when zooming out.

I often ride my bicycle when geocaching. I review geocaches on the area map where I'm going to ride, and select the greatest number to search for on a reasonable ride, such as a 10-20 mile circuit. When I return to an area sometime later, there is nothing more aggravating than to have included a cache in my list that I've 'Not found' earlier simply because the visual indicator (a SAD face) wasn't there to clue me in. If an option was added to 'My Account' to include (or not) SAD faces where appropriate, I think it would benefit any of us that find viewing your maps and logs useful. In many previous posts there are those that have a problem with SAD icons appearing in their maps and logs. That's the reason for my suggestion for making them optional, and under the control of each cacher. I'm not in any way suggesting that your method for handling the display or reporting of 'Not found' caches be changed, but that an appropriate icon be displayed if desired. For me, having them appear in my maps and logs would clear up (and make visible) a far more accurate picture of cache status in areas where I'm going to be re-searching.

I want the option of seeing dnfs on the map but I also want the option of ONLY seeing my finds on the map, no other caches. As is, the smileys get too crowded out by all the caches I haven't searched for yet. What is the process for creating new features? How do I keep tabs on new features?

This comes up almost monthly.

Think of it another way... Did you find it? No! Therefore it is a yet unfound cache and is properly marked as such.

Your suggestion is not without merit. It has been posed a bunch of times before. I (almost) suspect that TPTB may be working on it.

In the meantime, it is a box icon because you still haven't found it. A blue "frowny face" wouldn't alter it's status.

The point is to differentiate the caches that I haven't found because I haven't gone looking for them from the caches I haven't found because I was there and just couldn't find.

It would be nice to make it optional to show up on the map so I can see the ones I couldn't find but decided were worth a repeat visit, as opposed to something like a nano I didn't bother to hunt because it was on 100 feet of metal railings somewhere.

I think it would be a great feature, but it would need to be "toggled" so that if you wanted your DNF's to show up as sad faces, that would be possible, but on the other hand, if you wanted them to show up normally, that would be available also... I would not want to have the Sad face be un-changeable.

Also along these lines, I would be really nice to be able to "toggle" the happy face too, so if you wanted to see the map, representing the cache type icons instead of just a smattering of smiles...

Suppose if they implemented the toggle for the sad faces, it wouldn't be a great leap to do the same for the happy ones too.