Literally lost/found cache

I am attempting to find the original hider/owner of a cache that was given to my son by an elderly family member. Mind you this family member is 83 years old and almost completely blind in spite of several cornea transplants. He has always had a passion for metal detecting and even though he is unable to tell what the items are that he picks up, he throws them in a bag and may not even sift through them until months later. As it turns out he found something that he wanted to pass on to my son. he is unsure even of where he found it exactly and does not believe that it was in its original location anyway because it was after a hurricane in his area. He found it in 2005 and was waiting until my son was older to give it to him, well we just got it last month. So it has been years. We see inside the log book only has 1 signature (from 2004 & the original date signature - no names) and there is no other identification as to location or a code or anything except the geo cache laminated note saying it is a geocache and not to remove ..oops!. We are in a different state and brought it with us when we left our elderly family member - who wants to remain anonymous as he feels bad about the whole thing. It is in safe keeping with us here and my son loved the gift but I would like to inform the TRUE original owner as to what happened to it. If there is someone in that area of Florida, still geocaching after all of these years please contact me through this site. Thank you andand thanks for inspiring my family and son who has learning disabilities to find something he and we all can enjoy doing together. He feels like he now has something special to do that other what he calls "normal" kids don't know about. It makes him feel special because he knows something they don't and we are newbies but quickly learning. We found our # 14 today. Thanks

Without a GC number for that cache, it will be difficult for you to find the owner. Tell your relative not to feel too bad - he didn't do it with malice.

I'm glad your son is enjoying geocaching with the family - and you're already up to 14, which is great! When you have a few more caches under your belt, your son will probably want to place a cache...maybe he could name it in honour of your elderly family member!

Welcome to the forums and to geocaching.

We would recommend trying to read the one name on the log, and then using the "find another player" link

Find another player link

to look them up. You could go back in their geocaches history to see what they logged on or around the date on the log. That might give you an idea of the cache this is.

It takes a bit of effort, but it could help you get what you need.

Thank You, I went to tht link and tried each option it gave me for that name and they were all new since 2009. I appreciate that link though.

I think you and your family should re-hide the cache in your area - in honor of your son and elderly family member. Don't forget to share the story in the description page - we enjoy a good backstory!

I like this idea!

It can be hard to figure out whose cache it was. It can be tough to decipher the name(s) on the log, and the person may not have signed their full moniker, etc. If you can't find them, don't feel bad. If you'd like help in the hunt, you're welcome to include the name(s) (as best you can make out) and date(s) here and we'll do some hunting, too. Mysteries can be fun, albeit sometimes unsolvable.

Welcome to geocaching! I hope you and your family enjoy!

I think you and your family should re-hide the cache in your area - in honor of your son and elderly family member. Don't forget to share the story in the description page - we enjoy a good backstory!

I like this idea!

It can be hard to figure out whose cache it was. It can be tough to decipher the name(s) on the log, and the person may not have signed their full moniker, etc. If you can't find them, don't feel bad. If you'd like help in the hunt, you're welcome to include the name(s) (as best you can make out) and date(s) here and we'll do some hunting, too. Mysteries can be fun, albeit sometimes unsolvable.

Ok, well remember it has been years since ther was any activity.And I would have a way to be sure who the true owner is because there are unique characteristics to this that none other wold have which I will not reveal here so as to seek the true owner. But if anyone wants to help with the mystery there was only 2 other notes in the log book other than the plant date noted which is 5/29/04, the last noted finder is "The Party" on 11/14/04. In the baggie with the log book was a business card. I do not know if this is from the owner or not or if this erson would still work at this business. The business card is for American carpet store in Pensacola Florida, the guys name is Tony Lopez it states sales rep 850 484 8888. It is doubtful that he is still working there after 8 years. And it was found far east of pensacola, in Navarre.

I like this idea!

Ok, well remember it has been years since ther was any activity.And I would have a way to be sure who the true owner is because there are unique characteristics to this that none other wold have which I will not reveal here so as to seek the true owner. But if anyone wants to help with the mystery there was only 2 other notes in the log book other than the plant date noted which is 5/29/04, the last noted finder is "The Party" on 11/14/04. In the baggie with the log book was a business card. I do not know if this is from the owner or not or if this erson would still work at this business. The business card is for American carpet store in Pensacola Florida, the guys name is Tony Lopez it states sales rep 850 484 8888. It is doubtful that he is still working there after 8 years. And it was found far east of pensacola, in Navarre.

This will be a tough one. I found a user called Theparty, but he registered in 2011. I looked for FL caches published around 5/29/04, particularly one with a last log in 11/04 but there were none. Assuming that perhaps the last logger didn't log online I looked at a few other caches published in the weeks after 5/29 and found a few possibilities but most had multiple online logs. What's the approximate size?

I've struck out on trying to find them via name - tried searching for anything with "party" in the name. The results on the "find another player" only give you a list of about 20, and it's hard to construct the query to give you the next set of 20, etc. Also, it could certainly have been a group of people who just signed the log "the party" to keep from filling the log up with all their individual caching names, so the "find another player" route might be a dead-end anyway.

I wondered if there was a way to look up archived caches by date (for those who have access to the archived database). I'm glad to see Briansnat looked it up. :) Love a good puzzle.

take a few pictures on the container and the log book.

and the pages that are written something on them,

post it here so all people can see what you see too.

this way identification is alot easier.

that sound like a NICE puzzle.. but not compleetly impossible..

I like this idea!

This will be a tough one. I found a user called Theparty, but he registered in 2011. I looked for FL caches published around 5/29/04, particularly one with a last log in 11/04 but there were none. Assuming that perhaps the last logger didn't log online I looked at a few other caches published in the weeks after 5/29 and found a few possibilities but most had multiple online logs. What's the approximate size?

Thank you for your help. It is a 30 caliber ammo box, ivory in color with ducks unlimited sticker on it and a flag sticker and red and blue stripe stickers around the edges of it.