(back) logging waymarks

How do you log waymarks? Do you backlog them, and if so, also from before they were published?

I'm currently trying to figure out what works best for us. Only this year alone I've been to 5 different countries and even more places. In previous years things didn't look much better. Sure I could fill up my symbol grid quickly (I guess I really like that) but I'd spend ages trying to find photos and remembering all those places I've been to, and repeat this every once in a while. So I think I will limit things to backlogging waymarks that had been there already at that time.

Mrs. terratin

I have a lot of 'Historical' Waymarks listed.

I'm happy for them to be logged with 'Back visits' especially if you include a photo (or more!) and tell a good story about your visit.

(Use the date you visited, photos will show if/how the site has changed over time.)

eg. I have the RSC Theatre/s in Stratford upon Avon as Waymarks.

Tell me when you visited and why (usually on holiday!), did you see a play? What was it? Who was in it?

Don't just say "Visited while on holiday."

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Ha, I certainly don't log with TCTW or something similar :laughing:

Things only get somewhat repetitive when there are too many waymarks about the same feature. Just look at the Louvre museum. There must be close to a 100, and certainly more than 10 if you only count the ones outside the buildings. :yikes: Btw, there I'm also a bit concerned about what to log. Buildings featured on a stamp? I know I don't need to collect stamps in order to log, but it still feels weired. It's easier with movie locations as I only log when I actually saw that movie (and write a negative review if it wasn't all that good) :lol: Some categories are just sooo random that I don't know what to do other than ignore them (objects named after celestial bodies, can be seen on google earth...)

Extraterrestrial Locations:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM45ZH_Shakespeare_Shakespeare_quadrangle_Mercury

I tend to post Waymarks as I find them.

Mostly related to what I'm interested in. Or realize it's a Waymark!

Visits are for those category's I'm interested in, or realize it's a Waymark!

Or, I've got the information to post it as a Waymark, and someone's beaten me to it and made it a Waymark, in which case I Visit it. :D

If a Waymark is in multiple categories, I Visit for the categories I don't have filled in in the grid!

(Bit of an icon collector! But I think a lot of Waymarkers are, to a greater or lesser degree. :laughing: )

Edited by Bear and Ragged

"Retro visits" are fine. You have to have really visited the place of the coordinates. Often a picture is required, even if it is not, it is still best practice. Some meaningful narrative is always appreciated. Some categories have slightly different log requirements.

The visit instructions for a given category can be found at the bottom of the expanded description ("show additional information" link).

For the examples you mentioned above this means you need a picture you have taken yourself of the location that is on the stamp, you have to go where the scene was shot and take a picture of how it looks now, having seen the movie is not enough and not even required, and you have to go to where this specific statue of Mars is located, nobody cares if you have ever seen the planet named after him.

If you can fulfill the visit requirements then you can log a visit, the date of your visit does not matter, it can be 20 years ago. If you cannot or do not like some specific requirements then let it be. It's so simple.

Thanks for your answers. I think I'll have to find my own rules for logging, and especially when there are several categories for the same feature. I think I only backlog WM that were already present at the time I visited that location, and only if I actually looked at that feature (and of course have a photo). Otherwise I'd never be finished with logging. Seriously, duing my recent stay in Paris I could have logged so many fountains and other things just because I passed by and they happen to be on a photo. Or could have logged quite a few museum categories, while I only marvelled at the architecture of the building and never went inside. That just doesn't feel right for me.

I'm a bit miffed though that the stats show the actual logging date and not the date on the log. It looks just wrong, but I suppose people have commented about this to GS and GS replied back there's no intention of changing this?

I also published my first two waymarks now. I don't think I'll do too many as it just takes so much time (and I prefer writing Earchcaches :P). But so far I enjoy Waymarking.