Maps

I have had problems with maps in that it doesn't like scrolling about and sometimes clicking the bubble yields no pop-up box, and in leaflet view (when wanting OS maps for example) it never lets me click on a cache. Today, I have no caches whatsoever on my maps in either view!

It's starting to get a little irritating.

I like progress but sometimes I feel changes are done for the sake of it. "If it ain't broke......."

RANT OVER

I have had problems with maps in that it doesn't like scrolling about and sometimes clicking the bubble yields no pop-up box, and in leaflet view (when wanting OS maps for example) it never lets me click on a cache. Today, I have no caches whatsoever on my maps in either view!

I like progress but sometimes I feel changes are done for the sake of it. "If it ain't broke......."

RANT OVER

Is that on a Magellan or Garmin?

Ah - I think you mean on the "view larger map" link on a cache page. No, there doesn't seem to be any caches showing. Others seem to have the same problem.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

RANT OVER

Ah - I think you mean on the "view larger map" link on a cache page. No, there doesn't seem to be any caches showing. Others seem to have the same problem.

I think that there may be two problems with the maps. The link refers to people who cannot see caches on the maps. I have always seen the caches but cannot click on them to get the pop up box as mentioned above. People seem to be able to see the caches now but I still cannot click on them.

One other - ahem - "improvement" that GS seems to have made to the maps is that if two caches are in the same place the site decides which one you want to see, where it used to list them both so you could choose for yourself.

I'd love to know what, and indeed whether, the folks at GS are thinking when they make these changes.

One other - ahem - "improvement" that GS seems to have made to the maps is that if two caches are in the same place the site decides which one you want to see, where it used to list them both so you could choose for yourself.

I'd love to know what, and indeed whether, the folks at GS are thinking when they make these changes.

I can't check right now but usually when it pops up with only one overlapping cache, there is a link in the pop up box to go tto the next.

I have found that if the map options button is clicked and the right hand select button is hit, then the cache icon can be double clicked to get a pop up box and subsequent full information. The scrolling 'hand' does not appear but scrolling can take place by dragging the arrow instead. The situation is not quite right but is at least workable now.

RANT OVER

I think that there may be two problems with the maps. The link refers to people who cannot see caches on the maps. I have always seen the caches but cannot click on them to get the pop up box as mentioned above. People seem to be able to see the caches now but I still cannot click on them.

I have found that if the map options button is clicked and the right hand select button is hit, then the cache icon can be double clicked to get a pop up box and subsequent full information. The scrolling 'hand' does not appear but scrolling can take place by dragging the arrow instead. The situation is not quite right but is at least workable now.

Edited by C0lin

Ok, I have found another work around. Having done the map options thing I posted above, if the double click on the icon only zooms in instead of producing the pop up box, leave the cursor on the icon, right click, select properties and then select cancel and the as if by magic, the pop up box appears automatically - no clicking is required. Not sure how long this will work as this whole thing seems to have a mind of its own.

I have gone back to the satellite maps where only the 'hand' or the 'clenched hand' is available on the map. So apparently when I mouse over an icon, there is no change to the cursor. Nevertheless I have found that if you leave the mouse on the icon and click once (twice will zoom in) and then WAIT for about 5 seconds or so, the pop up box appears. If you move the mouse at all before the appearance then nothing happens. Not sure how long it has been like this but it does work after a fashion. At least I can look at cache details now without having to open up a second window and toggle between the map and a list of caches.

There are actually a whole host of independent problems here:

1. Sometimes the server is slow at serving up tiles from the map's geocache layer, so the icons either appear slowly, partially (chopped in half on the edge of tiles!) or not at all.
  2. Sometimes the server is slow at serving up the data about caches. As you move the mouse over the map, the website only asks for data about the places you move the mouse to, so if the response is slow, you don't see the icon change shape before you've moved the mouse away. If you click on the icon before the data has been received, nothing happens.
  3. There is a bug on the website that means it sometimes uses the wrong URLs for the geocache data (i.e. it asks MapQuest or OSM, rather than Geocaching.com!) This means that the cache details don't pop up at all.
  4. When zoomed in, the clickable hotspots for the icons are smaller than the icons themselves. This means you might think you clicked in the right place, but you didn't.

There's not really a lot you can do about the first two problems. The third one you can work around by either changing the zoom level or switching to a different map source. I've also got a techy fix for it that I will build into the next version of my Geocaching Map Enhancements script. I'm not sure if I can fix the last one with a script - you just have to aim your clicking in the middle of the icons.

It would be nice if it all worked out of the box though, wouldn't it?