Step by Step Instructions for building unique cache cotainers

The first thought that came to my mind was "Pipe bomb"....

Hmmm... I would think that any camouflaged container found by a Muggle might raise some eyebrows. I guess that's why it's important to clearly mark your cache, identifying it as such, and providing the URL so those investigating such a container might be better able to determine its innocent nature.

Yes, strange containers make muggles raise their eyes. Containers that look like pipe bombs make them call the police.

Hmmm... I would think that any camouflaged container found by a Muggle might raise some eyebrows. I guess that's why it's important to clearly mark your cache, identifying it as such, and providing the URL so those investigating such a container might be better able to determine its innocent nature.

Unfortunately That really doesn't make a difference. A while back there was a thread on someone calling in a bomb. The police still called in the bomb squad to deal with it, even though they admitted that it was labeled as a geocache, and some of the officers knew what geocaching was.

Yes, strange containers make muggles raise their eyes. Containers that look like pipe bombs make them call the police.

How is this any more of a pipe bomb than the soda preforms? Used in the right area, they seem far better then a film canister (also blown up a few times!)

Well, I'll start this one off with a Step by Step complete with photos of a recent geocaching container I built using the tops of two plastic bottles and a length of PVC tube.

customcache.jpg

Here's the link to my Indestructible tutorial:

My link

or copy and paste: http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Geocache-Waterproof-Tube-Container/

Feel free to comment or add your own creative cache creation.

Cache Slinger

Happy Caching!

So is the swag made with fertilizer or straight up gun powder?

Your Sneaker and shoe lace could be a Bomb. That's been proven.

However, on a forum for geocachers, by geocachers, promoting creativity, and asking for other to post their own creative caches, I just feel that it's a bit more than immature, to post the "Boom 10-4" comment.

I'll accept the first two as legitimate posts as they simply stated what they felt it looked like, but come on Don, start your own comedy thread if ya want a good laugh.

Taking this one off my watch list as I'm unable to delete the thread now.

Happy Caching folks.

:)

You seriously didn't think people would see that as a pipe bomb? Where did you intend on hiding your bomb err cache I mean? A federal building? No matter what you write on it, the shape and size says hey I'm a bomb....I think as a cacher people need to be more responsible....

Well now, if the swag were made from a combination of Dan2099's and Don J's wit and intelligence, I would certainly have to say Fertilizer.

Because we are explosively funny? And boom goes the dynamite! :laughing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pipe_bomb_02.jpg

But in all seriousness I applaud and thank you for actually making something in a game that's over ran with store bought crappy containers.

Edited by Dan2099

Well now, if the swag were made from a combination of Dan2099's and Don J's wit and intelligence, I would certainly have to say Fertilizer.

Please leave the personal comments out of it. I apologize to you because I failed to realize that you are new here and would not recognize the obvious reference to the final ending of too many caches that look like yours as well as those that don't. We end up discussing these caches far too often.

The issue here is not what a bomb looks like or what a bomb can be made of. The experts will tell us that it's the object that doesn't look like a bomb that they need to be the most concerned about. What my issue is, what does the average person on the street THINK a bomb looks like? It looks like some sophisticated device with a timer that we see on TV, or it looks like a short length of pipe with two end caps glued or screwed on. When the average person stumbles upon your cache will the reaction be the same as if they stumbled upon a preform? One looks like a test tube, the other looks like a bomb. One they may investigate further, the other they call 911.

Edited by Don_J

I'll give you props for building your own container rather than wrapping some random piece of trash in duct tape and calling it a cache. I'll give you even more props for taking the time to document your build and share it with the community, but I'll agree with the rest that building something that resembles a classic pipe bomb isn't very wise. That being said, I will say that there are endless possibilities for creative containers that can be made from PVC parts. I have a cache made from PVC that has acquired 50 fav points and nobody has mistaken it for a bomb. I suggest that you use the skills you have demonstrated in working with PVC, take a trip down the plumbing isle and let your imagination go wild. I bet once you look at all the parts available and think about how you can fit various fittings together, how you can cut, drill, glue & screw things together, you'll come up with something truly unique that doesn't cause suspicion or concern. Best of luck to you.

I don't think any of the comments made were personal, and if you don't hang out here on a regular basis you may not be aware of all the blown up caches.

Yes, caches should be identified like you did, however, if someone were making a real pipe bomb, they could easily write the same on the pipe bomb, that's where the question of "is it or isn't it" comes in.

Placing one like you made in the woods away from daily traffic might work.

Wow, this thread really blew up in your face. I bet you didn't expect people to have such an explosive reaction to your cache idea, did you? How much did you have to shell out to build that cache anyway? Do people's reactions to your cache torpedo your desire to put this cache out still, or can you just blow them off?

I hate to drop this grenade on you, but it does look like a bomb to me as well.

Wow, this thread really blew up in your face. I bet you didn't expect people to have such an explosive reaction to your cache idea, did you? How much did you have to shell out to build that cache anyway? Do people's reactions to your cache torpedo your desire to put this cache out still, or can you just blow them off?

When I read this I exploded with laughter

Nice job at trying to defuse the situation! :lol:

I am closing this thread because the OP has edited out their content, and because of multiple forum guideline violations. When seeing something they take issue with, everyone should take care to criticize the idea rather than the person who expressed the idea.