How many favorites do your caches have?

I was reading this thread and someone suggested contacting a forum member who has a lot of favorites to get ideas on creative hides. It got me wondering, how many favorites do people's caches have? I know it varies between caches so what is the average of all your caches? I'm sure everyone know how to figure it out, but just in case add up the total favorites of all your caches, then divide by the total number of caches.

I was reading this thread and someone suggested contacting a forum member who has a lot of favorites to get ideas on creative hides. It got me wondering, how many favorites do people's caches have? I know it varies between caches so what is the average of all your caches? I'm sure everyone know how to figure it out, but just in case add up the total favorites of all your caches, then divide by the total number of caches.

I'm going to take a guess at .25

A lot of my caches were placed and even archived before the favorite system was instituted. People around here don't go back and award them. A lot of people here don't award them at all. I had a group of people find one of my caches a week ago. Four of the logs said, "a favorite for sure". Only one of the cachers actually awarded a point.

Can the forum detectives come up with the date that favorites came about? I'd be interested in how my caches placed after that date compare to the older ones.

I own 4 caches and 3 of them have one favorite each, so 75% of my caches have been Favorited. 3 Favorites on a total of 45 finds (tried to do the math to figure the percentage of total finds but....)

I liked it last week when my newest cache was published and the FTF gave it a Favorite point :)

Edited by Chief301

There is a cache / travel bug (both) called "Stop and Go, Go, Go, 3". I think it has more than 90 favorites and has traveled around the earth two or three times. It's a fun one to watch and a challenge to find. Too bad traveling caches aren't allowed any more.

We only have one active cache now (adopted out the rest as we are moving and this one can't be adopted). It has 6 favorites, just an ammo can painted to look like a planter with an actual planter sitting on top and miscelaneous artificial flowers thrown in. Sitting behind some low shrubs in plain sight ... if you know where to look (GC1CYCN).

Cheers,

Panda Inc

Edited by Panda Inc

We've got 11 hides and a total of 43 favorite points.

Two caches don't have any favorite points.

One cache has 12 favorite points.

My husband really likes to build things. We have ideas and containers ready to go - it's hard to find those perfect spots. :laughing:

Edited by Lieblweb

We've got 11 hides and a total of 43 favorite points.

Two caches don't have any favorite points.

One cache has 12 favorite points.

My husband really likes to build things. We have ideas and containers ready to go - it's hard to find those perfect spots. :laughing:

That sounds like a horrible math problem...

173 caches, 114 Favorites for a .66 average. 39 caches have favorites. I have dozens of caches that I am very proud of that have no favorite points. I think that a lot of local cachers just don't take the time to award them.

Porpoise...I see what you did there!

No purpose really. I actually had a theory that the people who frequent the forums might have a higher Favorite ratio than non-forum visiting cachers. I could be wrong though.

I've got a cache I hid recently that has 7 finds and 5 favorite points. I got the idea from the Cool Cache Containers thread.

That's a pretty solid start for that cache! Care to share which cache in the ccc thread you used for your inspiration?

I suspect that the average number of favorites a cache owner has on their hides is going to be influenced by where one lives as much as the quality of their hides.

Consider the two scenarios of a cache dense area and a cache sparse area.

In a cache dense area, there are more caches to be found thus those living in the area are likely to have a large number of total finds. Since the number of available favorite points is a function of the number of finds, many of the cachers in that area are likely going to have a large number of favorite points to award. A cache dense area also has a large number of geocachers with a lot of favorite points to award. A cache located in a cache dense areas is going to be found a lot more frequently than a cache in a remote area, and most of it's finds are going to be from local cachers with a large number of favorite points available. As a result a cache located in a cache dense area that is a cut above many others is likely going to accrue quite a few favorite points.

Now consider a cache sparse area. Since there are a small number of caches to be found, local cachers typically don't have a really high number of finds and there are typically a lot fewer cachers in that area than in a large metro area with a large general population. With a small number of geocachers with a small number of favorite points available, even a really good cache isn't going to accrue favorite points as fast as one located in a cache dense area.

This might all seem like speculation but it's pretty easy to verify by looking a caches in different areas.

Comparing the total or average number of favorites a cache owner might have just isn't an accurate indicator of overall cache quality.

That's a pretty solid start for that cache! Care to share which cache in the ccc thread you used for your inspiration?

It's called "Micro in the Woods". One of my pet peeves are bisons hanging from a tree in the forest. So I put this one out to make fun of that... It's a microwave ~ a full size, real microwave ~ hidden about .2 miles in on the trails in a park near my house. It's GC is GC3MXQN.

I own 6 caches, all have favorites with a combined total of 80 points. My highest has 50 and my lowest (also my oldest) has 1. So an average of 13.3 points per cache.

Please give Firehouse #5 a favorite point if you like this cache

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

We like our favorite points! :)

Our caches generally tend to be off on trails, and we've recently been working on a few clever ideas which should hopefully accrue 10+ each. Here's the specifics (I also love statistics & numbers!):

Currently, we own 127 caches (no archived caches as well!). We currently have 274 favorite points, making an average of 2.16 favs/cache. These 127 caches have had a total of 2949 finds, which gives an avg. of 10.76 finds per favorite.

Out of these 127 caches, 100 have at least a single point awarded to them.

The most favorite points awarded to a single cache of ours outright is "A-maze-ing Views" (2.gifGC2HRWE) with 13 points to 42 logs.

One of our most clever puzzles, "Invisible Worlds" (8.gifGC2WHX0) has 7 points to 10 logs. Likewise, one of our caches is hidden in the outback at one of the most beautiful places imaginable, "White Rock" (2.gifGC2P2FA) also has 7 points to 10 logs.

Our most favorited multi is shared between two caches with 7 favorites, "Round The Bays" (3.gifGC39RP7) & "Hutt River Confluence Trail" (3.gifGC2JWY9), with 16 & 20 logs respectively.

Another beautiful spot on a hike, "High Point 656" (2.gifGC32N3J) has 6 points to 9 logs.

Our one Earthcache (more to come!), in one of the remotest locations imaginable around here, "Honeycomb Rocks" (137.gifGC3A8H2) has 2 points to 3 premium logs.

In total, 18 of our caches have 5 favorite points or more.

We're pretty keen on good descriptions along with photos, so check some of ours out and see what you think! :)

Cheers,

Luke.

Edited by Hurricane Luke

107 Caches (86 active) with 490 favorite points. I'm not gonna lie, as a cache owner I like the ego stroking provided by a favorite point.

As a cache searcher I don't think the favorite points are that useful. I only know that a cache with favorite points does something right by pleasing some cachers, but not if I'm going to like it.

Using a recommender system similar to the one used by amazon.com, the favorite points might become a powerful criteria to choose new caches to seek.

Cachers A to Z have awarded favorite points to caches you like as well -> here are more caches Cachers A to Z like -> lets go search these.

Edited by gebu

I have 11 hides (5 mysteries and 4 traditionals) with a total of 49 favourites. That works out to 5.4 favourite points per cache. The favs tend to appear on hides which took some time to put together, or mysteries that spent a fair bit of time bouncing around in my head before coming to fruition.

I could tell you what my highest ranking cache did to earn it's fav points, but it would sort of ruin the fun for the next finder. My second highest ranking cache was a christmas themed (fake) nest box which lit up with some pretty cheesy christmas decoration lights once you opened the lid. It's kinda silly this time of year since the sun is below the horizon for no more than 90 minutes each day ;)

I own 6 caches, all have favorites with a combined total of 80 points. My highest has 50 and my lowest (also my oldest) has 1. So an average of 13.3 points per cache.

Please give Firehouse #5 a favorite point if you like this cache

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Oh man that's funny. That has to be the cheesiest and lamest thing I've seen on a cache page. Begging for favorite points on the first line in boldprint. :laughing: I guess some people really take these points serious. :rolleyes:

I suspect that the average number of favorites a cache owner has on their hides is going to be influenced by where one lives as much as the quality of their hides.

Consider the two scenarios of a cache dense area and a cache sparse area.

In a cache dense area, there are more caches to be found thus those living in the area are likely to have a large number of total finds. Since the number of available favorite points is a function of the number of finds, many of the cachers in that area are likely going to have a large number of favorite points to award. A cache dense area also has a large number of geocachers with a lot of favorite points to award. A cache located in a cache dense areas is going to be found a lot more frequently than a cache in a remote area, and most of it's finds are going to be from local cachers with a large number of favorite points available. As a result a cache located in a cache dense area that is a cut above many others is likely going to accrue quite a few favorite points.

Now consider a cache sparse area. Since there are a small number of caches to be found, local cachers typically don't have a really high number of finds and there are typically a lot fewer cachers in that area than in a large metro area with a large general population. With a small number of geocachers with a small number of favorite points available, even a really good cache isn't going to accrue favorite points as fast as one located in a cache dense area.

This might all seem like speculation but it's pretty easy to verify by looking a caches in different areas.

Comparing the total or average number of favorites a cache owner might have just isn't an accurate indicator of overall cache quality.

Perhaps a better question to be asking is what is your average percent favorites. This would better address the issue of population density and how many times a cache is actually visited.

For this, cachers would need to add all their percentage favorites (a bit more difficult to retrieve) on all their caches together and divide by the total number of caches they have hidden.

I find that unless a cache only has a very small number of premium member finds (like 1, 2, or 3 finds which can drastically be affected by 1 or 2 favorite points), the percentage favorites is a much better indicator of actual cache appeal. I actually discuss this further in the following post in this alternate forum topic...Percentage favorites measuring cache appeal

Edited by medoug

some of my best ones are listed here,

it is specially ÆGIR, I am happy about :-)

it is very new, and it generates quite alot of attention and great logs.

Umulius 1 is a VERY hard multi, at one stage you need to find a laser beam and decode its blinks,

that is something you dont see every day, all stages takes from several hrs to a few days,

so it is not solved every day, and not by beginners.

71 fav, 116 finds, 61% fav score

Ægir

by OZ2CPU | GC3C9B7 | Denmark

02/24/2012

40 fav, 220 finds, 18% fav score

Beam me up.

by OZ2CPU | GCYNPB | Denmark

10/04/2006

25 fav, 35 finds, 71 % fav score !!!

Umulius part 1

by OZ2CPU | GC348RA | Denmark

09/16/2011

21 fav, 87 finds, 24 % fav score

India

by OZ2CPU | GC3C995 | Denmark

02/24/2012

18 fav, 44 finds, 41 % fav score

1-2-3 Finale

by OZ2CPU | GC3C9P9 | Denmark

02/29/2012

more here

http://project-gc.com/?page=topfav&profile_name=&country=Denmark&region=&county=&submit=Filter

Edited by OZ2CPU