What does "save as waypoint" mean on my GPS?

scrapulous

Hi,

I'm new here. I've only been geocaching once, and just bought my premium membership today. We are traveling to Oregon next week and are planning to go geocaching while there.

I downloaded some caches to my GPS and when I open one of them and read the description, a box pops up asking "save as waypoint?" What does that mean?

Thank you for your help as I learn more about this fun hobby! :)

Hi,

I'm new here. I've only been geocaching once, and just bought my premium membership today. We are traveling to Oregon next week and are planning to go geocaching while there.

I downloaded some caches to my GPS and when I open one of them and read the description, a box pops up asking "save as waypoint?" What does that mean?

Thank you for your help as I learn more about this fun hobby! :)

Perhaps you can tell us what brand and model of GPS that you have and how you uploaded the geocaches to it? Someone here may recognize what is going on and be able to help.

Okay. I have a Garmin etrex 20. I downloaded each cache individually by clicking "send to GPS" from this website.

I read somewhere on here that a waypoint is a set of coordinates, but I don't understand why I would need to save a cache as a waypoint. Isn't that redundant? I'm assuming I misunderstood something about what a waypoint actually is.

I'm guessing you've somehow opened that "Save As Waypoint" feature while viewing the cache (but don't hold me to that, it's just a guess).

Anyway, when you see "Save As Waypoint", the spot you're standing at can become the new waypoint. It's saved as "Waypoint #[some number]". I'll make a waypoint at my car, when I remember to (usually I forget). If I'm bushwacking through thick brush, I may save a new waypoint at every new turn, so I can find my way back out, or just to mark some noteworthy spot. When you're working on a Multi Cache or a puzzle, you can edit a saved waypoint, entering the new coords you've found that lead to the next stage. And, when placing a new cache, Save As Waypoint is especially useful.