Maps not showing any caches

Spatial Distortion

I also can't see any caches on the map. "Live HTTP headers" (Firefox-Addon) reports lots of lots of 404 errors.

For example:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/map.png?x=4337&y=2696&z=13&k=rcJA&stxxx&ep=1

GET /map/map.png?x=4337&y=2696&z=13&k=rcJA&st=xxx&ep=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: www.geocaching.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
Accept: image/png,image/*;q=0.8,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: de-de,de;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=52.269967&lng=10.515
Cookie: __qca=xxx; __utma=54847549.1102568546.1266001023.1297781734.1310420332.15; BMItemsPerPage=20; company_history=%5B%5B%22http%3A//feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching%22%2C%22Geocaching%22%5D%5D; __unam=94cecf7-1300742f29a-16c118d1-7; userid=xxx; ASP.NET_SessionId=xxx
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Cache-Control: private
Content-Length: 10009
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:00:43 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding, User-Agent
Content-Encoding: gzip
Connection: Keep-Alive

Fix this please!

I am also not so happy with the geocaching maps lately. Right now I don't see any pop op when you move the mouse over any cache icon. But I have this problem since longer, a couple of weeks, maybe even since monthes now. Some links are showing and some don't. Sometimes it helps to zoom in, but lately even that won't work. Pretty annoying when you're trying to see caches in the neighbourhood you want to visit.....

I hope this issue will get fixed!

greetings from Holland

Lack of response to mouseover has been an issue for some time for many of us... not "lately". Like Melisesue, it is sometimes the case that certain zones of the screen work, and some do not, and sometimes the case that caches in NO areas of the screen respond to mouseovers.

"Jiggling" the map by switching between maps (for those of us who can) sometimes helps. Sometimes panning will change the location of where mouseover does/doesn't work. Sometimes zoom out/in has been known to help.

Whatever it is, I have an easily repeatable case if anyone from the great Northwest wants to visit here in Colorado. We've got most of the fires out now.

This issue appears to be sporadic which may indicate that it is a problem with only one or a small number of servers. It would help us track it down if you mention what server you are on when you see the issue occur. You can find out this information like so:

• The map page source does not include the web server, so navigate from the map page to another page on the site
  • View the web page source using one of these techniques:
    • Right-click on the page and select "View source"
    • Select the View Source menu option:
      • Chrome: Select the "wrench" icon in the upper right, then select"Tools" and click on "View source"
      • Firefox: Select "Tools", then "Web Developer" and then "Page Source"
      • IE: Click the "gear" icon in the upper right, select "F12 Developer Tools", then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Use the keyboard shortcut:

• Chrome and Firefox: Press "Ctrl+U"
      • IE: Press F12, then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Scroll down to the bottom of the source and look there for a comment that looks like the following: <!--Server: WEB19; Build: Web.HotFix_20120703.1 -->

The servers are all named "WEBXX", where "XX" is any number between 01 and 21.

This issue appears to be sporadic which may indicate that it is a problem with only one or a small number of servers. It would help us track it down if you mention what server you are on when you see the issue occur. You can find out this information like so:

• The map page source does not include the web server, so navigate from the map page to another page on the site
      • Chrome: Select the "wrench" icon in the upper right, then select"Tools" and click on "View source"
      • IE: Click the "gear" icon in the upper right, select "F12 Developer Tools", then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

• IE: Press F12, then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Scroll down to the bottom of the source and look there for a comment that looks like the following: <!--Server: WEB19; Build: Web.HotFix_20120703.1 -->

Hello,

Firefox 13.0.1. Ctrl-U but can't find that info anywhere. What am I missing?

Regards from Sweden

Caches just stopped appearing on maps for me in the UK.

Same thing here in Sweden again. If I zoom out there's not a single cache

in the whole world. :unsure:

Regards

Thanks God! All caches are back! Was a bit worried for a while.

Edited by yxza

Hello,

Firefox 13.0.1. Ctrl-U but can't find that info anywhere. What am I missing?

Regards from Sweden

If your on a Mac with safari go to View menu View source or control click on page with laptop or right click. It works <!-- Server: WEB21; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2 -->

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem now with Firefox 12.0 and <!-- Server: WEB13; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2 --> on two different computers.

Before the problem is fixed, is there a way to work around this, e.g. force the site to switch to different server (or at least try)? Thanks.

CHROME

No pop-ups with Chrome – 2 days ago Server: WEB15; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2 Today WEB05; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2

IE9

Pop ups OK on IE9 (WEB08; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2) but you have to zoom in & wait for page to fully load, which is quite slow but better than nothing!

Just noticed caches being gone from the map again, like they did a week ago.

I'm on:

<!-- Server: WEB02; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2 -->

Exactly the same problem and server. The map page isn't showing the server id, the page where I hit "View larger map" did.

10 min later: no bubbles. But I noticed that when I zoom out a few clicks (scale: 5km/2mi), the pop-ups (cache names) appear if I find the right spot on the empty map.

35 min later: no bubbles, tried Chrome and FF on Win 7

1h 30 min later: new server WEB14 and all is well!

Edited by stebu

No caches showing up for me either. This happens every so often. I also have the problem with the bubble not showing up when I hover over the cache. I've logged off and then back on and tried Chrome and Internet Explorer. It was OK earlier about 7 am. I'm in Fullerton, CA USA

Edited by ObeyTheCorgi