Problem with Montana and TOPO maps

I'm trying to load a section of US TOPO 2008 to the SD card. All the detail in every state shows if it's named the default "gmapsupp". If I give it a unique name, I lose all detail in some areas and those areas revert back to the basemap. The total map area is basically FL, GA, AL, MS and is under 300K, so it's not a large file at all.

The problem is, if I can't name it something else, I can't put another map on the SD card without erasing the previous gmapsupp file. Any ideas? I do have a couple of other map sections with unique names on the SD card that work fine, so that shouldn't matter...

Sounds like you are using MapSource to send the map to your Montana? (gmapsupp.img)

Have you tried using MapInstall? (Will Auto Name the Map)

I also have a partial Garmin Topo US 2008 map image, and when I have it enabled on my Montana or Oregon, strange things occur. I have reported to Garmin multiple times, but they have been unable to resolve the issues.

Sounds like you are using MapSource to send the map to your Montana? (gmapsupp.img)

I also have a partial Garmin Topo US 2008 map image, and when I have it enabled on my Montana or Oregon, strange things occur. I have reported to Garmin multiple times, but they have been unable to resolve the issues.

Yes, I used Mapsource and renamed each file so the next one wouldn't overwrite it.

Then I tried Mapinstall. The first section of US TOPO loaded okay, then when I tried to do the second, it erased the first even though I renamed it. Now, I'm trying to load the entire map as one file, but I'm sure it won't work because it's too large. :rolleyes:

Edited by sviking

Just to be clear, you are transferring the map to the microSD card, then renaming it something like Topo1.img on the card, then sending the second section and renaming it something else (Like Topo2.img)

The reason I ask is that I found it somewhat confusing that MapSource names the maps one thing (which is visible only on the unit), but when you transfer it to the card, the saved file is always gmapsupp.img

Yes, I used Mapsource and renamed each file so the next one wouldn't overwrite it.

Then I tried Mapinstall. The first section of US TOPO loaded okay, then when I tried to do the second, it erased the first even though I renamed it. Now, I'm trying to load the entire map as one file, but I'm sure it won't work because it's too large. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is a limitation of MapInsatall.

When you select the first group of segments from the Topo 2008 mapset and send them to your Montana, MapInstall names them accordingly.

When you run MapInstall again (to send another group of tiles from the SAME mapset), MapInstall assumes you are know telling it you only want the new portion of the map on your device, and will therefore remove any previously installed maps from the same mapset.

A potential work around would be to change the file extension of each map section as you send them, or move them to a separate or hidden directory until such time you have sent all segments desired from the selected mapset, then move them all back into the Garmin directory and adjust file extensions as needed.

Unfortunately, the next time you make the slightest alteration in this mapset while using MapInstall, it will again remove the previously installed maps.

The only reason NOT to send them all as one map would be if your uSD card did not support the total file size.

As discussed elsewhere (and I may still be wrong here), the total number of map segments can not exceed 3000 map tiles total for the Garmin Montana.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Yes, I renamed each map file after sending it to the card with Mapsource. I tried loading the entire map via Mapinstall yesterday and it didn't work, even though it broke it up into about 6 sections and it automatically named each one as TOPO 2008 1, 2, 3, etc.

I'll try the idea of using Mapinstall again and installing sections, then either renaming them or moving them off the SD card so they don't get overwritten. I also have an email in to Garmin about this. Man, what a PITA... My 60CSx doesn't seem all that bad, now. :rolleyes:

My question is why are you doing it this way. Why not load all of them as one file. They all get loaded nyhow and separate files probably slow down the process.

One file does NOT work. Email from Garmin says total tile limit is "about 4000". Why the idiots can't just up and tell me EXACTLY how many the limit is, I'll never know. :rolleyes:

Well,...DUH....so many answers and arguments without a solution......

Find someone with a "backup" copy of the Topo image file from their "T" model and load the whole US at one time. It's the same maps but with fewer segments.....problem solved.

Copying that file won't work because it's keyed to the individual unit.

Edited by sviking

Well,...DUH....so many answers and arguments without a solution......

Find someone with a "backup" copy of the Topo image file from their "T" model and load the whole US at one time. It's the same maps but with fewer segments.....problem solved.

The "T" models are not the same. They have super crappy 100K maps with huge gaps in accuracy.

The 2008 Topo being discussed here is a 24K map with much better detail and accuracy. B)

Topo US 2008 is 100K not 24K. The “t” model map (Topo US 2008 v.2) is not locked.

Maximum map segments is between 4000 and 4229.

Yeah, I don't think Garmin sells a 24K TOPO for the entire US in one map product. It's by region.

Yeah, sorry... I thought you were trying to get Garmin 24K Topo map tiles onto your Montana. Which would be worth your time.

Again, very sorry for the misunderstanding.