New online submit form for new caches

MR57

I just spent 30 minutes trying to submit new cache. Used to take 30 seconds with old form. What's up with this. Can't figure out how to put in coordinates. Don't see a degree symbol on my keyboard. Wish they would leave stuff alone. Help.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to submit new cache. Used to take 30 seconds with old form. What's up with this. Can't figure out how to put in coordinates. Don't see a degree symbol on my keyboard. Wish they would leave stuff alone. Help.

The new form is not ready for prime time yet. Eventually it should get fixed better. In the meantime, or forever hopefully, didn't you see the link to dump the new form and go to the old one?

Don't see a degree symbol on my keyboard.

If you need to type a degree symbol, holding down and entering 248 or 0176 should produce a degree symbol. The registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method\EnableHexNumpad may need to be set to 1 for this to work.

Um you don't need to use the degree symbol just type in the numbers for example N 35 03.123 W 81 04.212

Don't see a degree symbol on my keyboard.

If you need to type a degree symbol, holding down and entering 248 or 0176 should produce a degree symbol. The registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method\EnableHexNumpad may need to be set to 1 for this to work.

Um you don't need to use the degree symbol just type in the numbers for example N 35 03.123 W 81 04.212

I used the new form for the first time last week and did it like this, no degree symbol. No problem. I don't see why all the complaints the new form, it seems easy enough.

Of course, I only had 3 hides using the old form and the last one was many months ago...I guess if you're used to using the old one a lot then the new one is just not what everybody is used to.

Edited by Chief301

Then why was the OP looking for one?

Right now, the form says the following for the coordinate step:

Coordinates can be entered in one of the following formats (examples refer to the same location).

N 47°36.373 W 122°19.924

N 47°36'22.380" W 122°19'55.440"

47.606217, -122.332067

N 47.6062° W 122.3321°

Now, if someone has their coordinates in the first format (which is the most common one for caching), it shows that a degree symbol is required. It isn't, of course, but the poorly-chosen wording makes it sound like your coordinates must match the format exactly. In reality, the field accepts a wide variety of formats, not just the ones listed. I can think of two possible ways to fix this:

1. Expand the list of formats to include all accepted formats. This is likely a pretty long list, so it's definitely not the preferred solution.

2. Change the wording to say "Coordinates can be entered in many formats. The following are some examples of accepted formats."

I tried to use the new form for my latest cache. If I am forced to use it in the future, it will take a lot of getting used to. The only way I can describe it is that I didn't like the flow of things. I'm used to the old form and the order of things and the new form is asking me about things that I'm not thinking about at that point. As an example, the attribute page seems to pop up in a strange order, before I have written my description. The WYSIWYG is a good addition but it wouldn't allow me to pick the font I wanted nor set an exact point size. I had to use the predefined "styles". At that point I just clicked through and then opened it up with the old form to write my descriptions using the Firefox WYSIWYG plugin that I have been using for years.

I can't stress how much I hope that we never lose the old form. I see like a application that has a beginners and advanced mode. For those who need the guidance, the new form will have great benefits. Not all of us need those benefits, especially at the expense of speed and usability.