Official stratigraphic type sections

I'm almost ashamed to suggest it, but: official stratigraphic type sections. I've been trying to find a home for a description with photo collection for a bit, and maybe Waymarking is a good home, even though it will mostly be the geology enthusiasts that might be interested in this category.

Here is such example for the Triassic/Jurassic boundary: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4d1a107-7ae7-4c1f-b054-52a14b0c1c69

I need to check to be absolutely sure but I think here in Denmark we have the type location for the Danian Chalk near Stevns Klint, and I know a few glacial/interglacial ones in the Netherlands.

See some definitions here: http://www.stratigraphy.org/upload/bak/strats.htm

of course I'm willing to work for such category and wade through definitions :lol:

Mrs. terratin

Edited by terratin

This is for sure an intersting topic, but I must confess I don't really have a clue what you are talking about.

You can try to create your own category, the procedure is documented. But if it's too complicated for the average waymarker to participate it is very likely to fail in Peer Review. Two other points to cosider are prevalence and duplication. Prevalence: are there enough potential waymarks, about 1000 is an appropriate minimum; I think you are talking about something much rarer. Duplication: can they already be posted to an existing category? There is Places of Geologic Significance, it fits perfectly.

So if you want to post official stratgraphic type sections then use the existing category, they will be highly welcome. But I have the impression you are more interested in a dedicated collection; in this case I fear Waymarking is probably not the right place for it.

Hi fi67,

thanks for your advise. I'm very glad about it. I think you are right that maybe the existing category might be a good place even though other people will probably not participate. Lets see if the group leader would be happy with a few such submissions (important type sections, not the completely local village hill formation :laughing: ). You are right however in that a dedicated collection would be really great. But as I wrote before I've been trying to find a good location for this for a while. So it doesn't matter if it don't work out.

I'll have a look at it when I'm back from this trip. Have quite more than a few handful of WM to log anyway.