South Dakota state geocoins

Jedi Cacher

A few years back I had seen a topic about a geocacher asking why the state of SD does not have a geocoin. I too had thought about this as I am a resident here. After many years of speculation, the South Dakota state geocoin is now a reality. For the past several years I have tried to get this project off the ground to no avail and had abandoned the idea. However, earlier in the year I went to work on some sketches and came up with some more ideas for the coin that would best represent the state of South Dakota. A friend of mine helped me out with the final graphics on his Mac and then I sent in the images to Oakcoins. This coin contains the state motto, slogan, shape of SD inset with 4 icons from the state. The black hills spruce, ringneck pheasant, walleye and the coyote are all depicted within the shape of the state in traditional geocaching colors. In the back ground of the state image is a really cool compass rose design. On the front is Mt.Rushmore in 3D with a waving American flag in the background. I also decided to include the year this coin was minted, as this is the first geocoin to represent the state. The tracking numbers are on the outer rim of the coin as not to detract from the artwork.

This coin can be purchased in 2 different metals. Antique Silver or Antique Gold. The silver has the blue accents while the gold has the red accents. The cost is $10 per coin. I am now taking pre-orders for these coins until July 1st, 2012. The coins will then go to mint on July 2nd. I am hoping to have them back on time for the Black Hills Geobash V event in mid August. When the coins arrive from mint I can send out a paypal invoice and get the coins sent out. Or you can come join in the fun at the Black Hills Geobash V and pick your coins up. The only stipulation I have is that I am only taking orders within the US and am not shipping overseas at this time. There is a possibility I could ship some of these coins overseas after the event.

IMG_3548-001.JPG?gl=US

IMG_3549-001.JPG?gl=US

I have a neurotic thing against pre-orders but it sounds like you're taking reservations since you'll be invoicing for payment before you ship. If that's the case I'm in as I feel you've done a great job with your state's coin.

Can you mark me down for one of each finish, please?

Edited by Droo

I have a neurotic thing against pre-orders but it sounds like you're taking reservations since you'll be invoicing for payment before you ship. If that's the case I'm in as I feel you've done a great job with your state's coin.

Can you mark me down for one of each finish, please?

I guess it would be more like a reservation now that you put it that way. :laughing: I will put you down for 2 coins and will let you know when they come in. Also thanks for the compliment on the coin :)

When your ready to ship to Canada let me know i'm in for this one, nice coin

I have never shipped anything overseas or to Canada before, but maybe some of the overseas and Canadian coiners can give me some pointers. Like what are the general shipping charges for 1 coin to ship to Canada or overseas from the US, and how is it packaged? How is the coin listed on the customs form as what it is? I do know that Canada has rules about importing products from china and has to be listed on the form. Most coin companies within the US contract out of China like Oakcoins. I have been bombarded with orders from our 4 state region via other sources of communication, but am highly considering giving overseas shipping a try if it were just a few orders.

A few years back I had seen a topic about a geocacher asking why the state of SD does not have a geocoin. I too had thought about this as I am a resident here. After many years of speculation, the South Dakota state geocoin is now a reality. For the past several years I have tried to get this project off the ground to no avail and had abandoned the idea. However, earlier in the year I went to work on some sketches and came up with some more ideas for the coin that would best represent the state of South Dakota. A friend of mine helped me out with the final graphics on his Mac and then I sent in the images to Oakcoins. This coin contains the state motto, slogan, shape of SD inset with 4 icons from the state. The black hills spruce, ringneck pheasant, walleye and the coyote are all depicted within the shape of the state in traditional geocaching colors. In the back ground of the state image is a really cool compass rose design. On the front is Mt.Rushmore in 3D with a waving American flag in the background. I also decided to include the year this coin was minted, as this is the first geocoin to represent the state. The tracking numbers are on the outer rim of the coin as not to detract from the artwork.

This coin can be purchased in 2 different metals. Antique Silver or Antique Gold. The silver has the blue accents while the gold has the red accents. The cost is $10 per coin. I am now taking pre-orders for these coins until July 1st, 2012. The coins will then go to mint on July 2nd. I am hoping to have them back on time for the Black Hills Geobash V event in mid August. When the coins arrive from mint I can send out a paypal invoice and get the coins sent out. Or you can come join in the fun at the Black Hills Geobash V and pick your coins up. The only stipulation I have is that I am only taking orders within the US and am not shipping overseas at this time. There is a possibility I could ship some of these coins overseas after the event.

IMG_3548-001.JPG?gl=US

IMG_3549-001.JPG?gl=US