The BEST deal EVER for a geocache... Sooo cheap!

Me and my dad stopped at Target... He to buy a pair of headphones, me to go looking for clearance items. Checked the clearance sections... Nothing good.

So I walked across the street to 89 cents direct. Never been here before, but expected the selection to be crappier than the dollar store.

Junk, crap, junk, trash... Than I found some minute maid for .89 cents so I bought two of them. Continued to look.... once again. Junk, crap, junk, and trash!

Than I notice something... Omg, Magnetic key holders... TWO OF THEM! FOR .89 CENTS!

That comes out to 44.5 cents per Magnetic Key Holder.

I brought ten packages (TWENTY) key holders up. Got a strange look from the foreign owner... So I said, ya know what, lemme just buy 5 packages (TEN) key holders.

And I did!

What a deal!

WP_002458.jpg

WP_002461.jpg

WP_002465.jpg

WP_002466.jpg

Oh, look... they came with their own logs! :lol:

Coldgears, I will actually reimburse you the $4.81 if you put one of these things out there on a guardrail, and use the receipt as the logbook. Because I just want to see that. B)

I'll name a cache after both of you if that whole thing happens. I'm still laughing Mr. Yuck, thanks for that. I mean it about the caches too....

Coldgears, I will actually reimburse you the $4.81 if you put one of these things out there on a guardrail, and use the receipt as the logbook. Because I just want to see that. B)

I'll name a cache after both of you if that whole thing happens. I'm still laughing Mr. Yuck, thanks for that. I mean it about the caches too....

You can call it The Cache That Yuck Bought

You can call it The Cache That Yuck Bought

Or, simply call it "Yuck!", since that's what people will say once the log gets soggy and mildewed.

I've found preforms at about that price. I like them for lots of reasons as micros:

1) They stay dry, and don't require a o-ring gasket.

2) The lids can usually be replaced from liter bottle if the are damaged or lost

3) the are very strong

4) Logs slide in and out easily.

5) very cheap (even cheaper than the Walmart $0.89 matchsticks)

Obviously larger caches are better (IMO) than small caches, but when you just gotta hid a micro, preforms are my favorite.

Edited by ATXTracker

Can someone explain to me the point of this whole thread? Instructions how to get more people to buy cheap, all-too-common cache containers?

Whaaaa? I dare you to find another cache that uses a key holder as a container....See you couldn't. Completely unique and original. I heard the hiding spots will be even better. Here is a hint...under a lamp post skirt.....another hide and this one will blow your mind stuck on the back side of a guardrail!

I've found preforms at about that price. I like them for lots of reasons as micros:

2) The lids can usually be replaced from liter bottle if the are damaged or lost

3) the are very strong

Obviously larger caches are better (IMO) than small caches, but when you just gotta hid a micro, preforms are my favorite.

Where do you get them? I've always wondered that...

3) the are very strong

online. Google "soda preform"

I agree with the poster that cheap cache containers are often associated with low-quality caches; but not always. Be creative, find awesome places to hide them, create interesting themes, puzzles, and stories. Cheap is not necessarily bad.

3) the are very strong

oh never mind.

Edited by SwineFlew

3) the are very strong

online. Google "soda preform"

I agree with the poster that cheap cache containers are often associated with low-quality caches; but not always. Be creative, find awesome places to hide them, create interesting themes, puzzles, and stories. Cheap is not necessarily bad.

Duh. That makes sense. I'll plead stress and heat making my brain not work.

Magnetic key holders are not all that bad, as long as they're hidden in a fairly protected location. Most of the ones I've found seem to hold up pretty well. On the underside of something where it's shielded from the rain, they do OK. I haven't used one yet but I wouldn't rule it out if it was appropriate for the location

I've heard key holders work better hidden Omaha style.

You put the key holder inside a ziplock and hide it.

Must be getting near my bedtime. The first time I read it, I thought it was a political jab! :unsure:

Then I realized you were talking about Nebraska, not Washington, DC! :lol:

Terrific!

But, what is with that store owner? Doesn't he want to sell twenty key holders? What kind of business person discourages people from buying stuff? :lol:

Clearly he was a geocacher and understood that he was going to be finding 20 key holder caches with wet soggy logs in the near future. I'd be giving the OP dirty looks too!

Just for the record, I adopted a cache that is a magnetic key holder just like that. It's been out for over 3 years and is still dry as a bone. It's not even under extremely good cover, but it is enough to keep it completely dry. The only problems I've had with it are once, a magnet came out of it, and it had to be replaced, and once it completely disappeared, and had to be replaced.

Key holder does not mean wet. You just have to be aware when you hide it that it is not remotely waterproof, and hide accordingly.

I've come across others that are well hidden and dry, and some that are poorly hidden and wet. It's all in how you do it.

Update: The key holders are actually pretty nice. Really strong magnet, stronger than the brand name. My only gripe, they didn't use much glue to attach the magnet to the holder, so I'm going to be taking the magnet out using a small flathead. Then I will be supergluing them back on with a generous amount. It's a good thing I dissected these things!

Yes, they will be guardrails, however. Nice ones. My first one is going to be a guardrail with an amazing view of the Trenton Makes bridge. With the suggestion people do it at night to see the beautiful fluorescent light-sign over the Delaware river.

Second one? A cache named, "Lame NJ guard rail cache" just to annoy briansnat. :P

Edited by Coldgears

Update: The key holders are actually pretty nice. Really strong magnet, stronger than the brand name. My only gripe, they didn't use much glue to attach the magnet to the holder, so I'm going to be taking the magnet out using a small flathead. Then I will be supergluing them back on with a generous amount. It's a good thing I dissected these things!

Yes, they will be guardrails, however. Nice ones. My first one is going to be a guardrail with an amazing view of the Trenton Makes bridge. With the suggestion people do it at night to see the beautiful fluorescent light-sign over the Delaware river.

Second one? A cache named, "Lame NJ guard rail cache" just to annoy briansnat. :P

Yes, although I see the irony and humor of naming a lame cache after a multi cacher of the year, the rest I just dislike.

Mind you the rest is obviously just my opinion.....

If you are asking a person to see a cache you created is a soggy key holder the best you have to offer? I understand money is a factor but I have seen caches that cost nearly the same possibly less but a lot more interesting..when gas goes up again after the election I will be extremely particular about caches I find I would probably ignore all 20 of yours, unless I am wasting time in a parking lot while my wife shops. I recommend emailing some cachers on here that have earned tons of fav points and asking for advice on building a unique cache...What do you want your reputation to be a guy who puts out awesome interesting hides or a guy who places soggy key holders soon to be archived?

Again this is all my only opinion and I am relatively new so please take no offense.

I liked that!

I've never had a water problem when I find these. Happy hiding!

Yes, although I see the irony and humor of naming a lame cache after a multi cacher of the year, the rest I just dislike.

If you are asking a person to see a cache you created is a soggy key holder the best you have to offer? I understand money is a factor but I have seen caches that cost nearly the same possibly less but a lot more interesting..when gas goes up again after the election I will be extremely particular about caches I find I would probably ignore all 20 of yours, unless I am wasting time in a parking lot while my wife shops. I recommend emailing some cachers on here that have earned tons of fav points and asking for advice on building a unique cache...What do you want your reputation to be a guy who puts out awesome interesting hides or a guy who places soggy key holders soon to be archived?

Again this is all my only opinion and I am relatively new so please take no offense.

I only really hide good caches... So far I have hidden an ammo box amongst old world war 2 ruins. A paddle only cache. A fake birdhouse. A fake book cache inside Philadelphia free library. Trust me. Location is the important part of my Trenton Makes bridge cache. No larger cache will fit on the guardrail. The view is located alongside a trail between te river and the road. No tree or anything to hide on but the guardrail...

I only really hide good caches... So far I have hidden an ammo box amongst old world war 2 ruins. A paddle only cache. A fake birdhouse. A fake book cache inside Philadelphia free library. Trust me. Location is the important part of my Trenton Makes bridge cache. No larger cache will fit on the guardrail. The view is located alongside a trail between te river and the road. No tree or anything to hide on but the guardrail...

I trust that it will be cool. Caches can be cool for a number of different reasons. A great location is one of them. One little detail that would make it a touch above the usual keyholder on a guardrail... can you spray it with some silver paint to at least give it a bit of natural camouflage? Maybe even glue a fake bolt head or four cut off screw heads (one in each corner) to give the effect that it is attached. Won't really fool anybody, but it would show that extra effort.

I trust that it will be cool. Caches can be cool for a number of different reasons. A great location is one of them. One little detail that would make it a touch above the usual keyholder on a guardrail... can you spray it with some silver paint to at least give it a bit of natural camouflage? Maybe even glue a fake bolt head or four cut off screw heads (one in each corner) to give the effect that it is attached. Won't really fool anybody, but it would show that extra effort.

^ see that is what I meant by asking people questions....if I saw a key holder like that I could appreciate the effort.

Than I notice something... Omg, Magnetic key holders... TWO OF THEM! FOR .89 CENTS!

So ... lemme get this straight. Each key holder set cost 0.89 cent, but you paid $4.45 for the lot? Looks you've been royally ripped off, unless you paid the store owner with a $4.5 bill and he somehow managed to fumble the change.

:P