GPS

Ok, so I realise there are threads about buying a GPS, but I've spent so long researching, reading reviews and watching you tube reviews I'm going round in circles. :unsure: I know everyone has different opinons. :blink:

I want a GPS, pref colour screen, paperless, maps?? good battery life, finally got some money so could spend £140 tops!!

Soooooooo, experinced geocachers out there, which should I get??

Oh and I'm in the UK.

look forward to your replies. :huh:

There is no definitive answer. I'd suggest that if you can, go to a store and hold each one that you are considering. I completely ruled out the delorme line after doing that because of the small screen size and another just didn't feel solid to me in hand. I was used to the large screen on my lowrance h20c and didn't want anything that small. You may find something like that also...

I don't know the definitive answer, but I can say this: whichever one you buy, put a screen protector on it before you ever use it. I got a GPSMAP 62sc and on my first geocaching outing with it I got a pretty annoying scratch not far from the middle of the screen. :( I've since put a Zagg screen protector on it. I wish I'd done that first.

I bought the Garmin Etrex 20 and love it. Got it for $149 from an online sporting goods store.

I've owned the the following GPS's before buying the Etrex 20....

Magellan's Explorist 400, Triton 400, 500, They are ok, a few bugs.

Lowrance Out&Back... Stay away from Lowrance...

Garmin Etrex Venture HC, Vista HCX, Great GPS for their time...

I bought the Garmin Etrex 20 and love it. Got it for $149 from an online sporting goods store.

The Etrex 20 has it's share of bugs too.

I am not sure why you are recommending the Explorist 400. It is an out of production model that doesn't fix the specs that the OP is asking for. I'd recommend the Explorist 310 or GC.

Garmin 650 and you will never need another

Really? A discontinued car GPS?

Or an aviation unit?

Those are the first 2 Google hits for "Garmin 650." You might mean something else, but for someone who is still trying to figure out what he should buy, "Garmin 650" is pretty ambiguous.

I think the garmin montana 650 makes a little more sense.

Edited by ryan3295

I am not sure why you are recommending the Explorist 400. It is an out of production model that doesn't fix the specs that the OP is asking for. I'd recommend the Explorist 310 or GC.

I think he's just saying that he has owned the explorist 400 (along with those other units) and not that he is recommending it.

I think he's just saying that he has owned the explorist 400 (along with those other units) and not that he is recommending it.

Okay,,,

I see that now...

The non-standard, punctuation... threw me off...

Okay,,,

I see that now...

The non-standard, punctuation... threw me off...

That's what I was saying, I still own all of these GPSs except for the Lowrance which I sold a few weeks ago.

The Etrex 20 meets the Russianators specs and price.

I like the Magellan's but hate the company's Philippines customer support.

Edited by gtojerry

I own/owned both Garmin and Magellan GPSes. I think that Magellans have an unwarranted bad reputation on these boards. I can't speak for the customer service because I've never used it. I've had my Garmins die on me but my Magellans can take a beating. I even had a Magellan come back to life after a major salt water incursion. My Magellan Meridian (Green)'s backlight no longer works and is no longer water proof. Both issues could be fixed but I moved up to a Explorist GC for the paperless geocaching. Before then I was carrying a tablet and before the tablet it was a PDA. I've had the Explorist GC for about 6 month now and it is proving to be a very rugged unit. It is within' the price range and has the features he listed. Now I am not sure if my by maps he means that it is simply a mapping GPS or that maps are able to uploaded to the unit by the user. In which case he should look at the Explorist 310. Which is also within' the price range.

I own/owned both Garmin and Magellan GPSes. I think that Magellans have an unwarranted bad reputation on these boards. I can't speak for the customer service because I've never used it. I've had my Garmins die on me but my Magellans can take a beating. I even had a Magellan come back to life after a major salt water incursion. My Magellan Meridian (Green)'s backlight no longer works and is no longer water proof. Both issues could be fixed but I moved up to a Explorist GC for the paperless geocaching. Before then I was carrying a tablet and before the tablet it was a PDA. I've had the Explorist GC for about 6 month now and it is proving to be a very rugged unit. It is within' the price range and has the features he listed. Now I am not sure if my by maps he means that it is simply a mapping GPS or that maps are able to uploaded to the unit by the user. In which case he should look at the Explorist 310. Which is also within' the price range.

So just to clarify, could you please tell me which GPS would be the best for the value and long range use from beginner to experienced for geocaching? We are just starting out, but I want to have the one that will work for us longer so that we do not suffer from GPS envy right away. Could you give me more information? I want one with a long battery life, paperless, mapping, one that can stand up (to a person who is adept at destroying cell phones unintentionally), easy to operate and program with the coordinates and just generally user friendly. Granted, I have techie/smart kids, 4 of whom will be using it and teaching me how to, but I really want one that will last a while and provide the least stress in operating. Thanks in advance for your input.

So just to clarify, could you please tell me which GPS would be the best for the value and long range use from beginner to experienced for geocaching? We are just starting out, but I want to have the one that will work for us longer so that we do not suffer from GPS envy right away. Could you give me more information? I want one with a long battery life, paperless, mapping, one that can stand up (to a person who is adept at destroying cell phones unintentionally), easy to operate and program with the coordinates and just generally user friendly. Granted, I have techie/smart kids, 4 of whom will be using it and teaching me how to, but I really want one that will last a while and provide the least stress in operating. Thanks in advance for your input.

It's really difficult to be able to tell a complete stranger what GPS will fit them best. It would be like going to a car forum and seeking advice on your next vehicle purchase. You are going to get a lot of good advice but also a lot of different answers. What you really need to do is get an idea of which models you think you'll like and then take them for a test drive. If you don't have a store near you that will you do this then try looking for a local geocaching group or even a couple of local caches who will allow you to test drive their units.

It's really difficult to be able to tell a complete stranger what GPS will fit them best. It would be like going to a car forum and seeking advice on your next vehicle purchase. You are going to get a lot of good advice but also a lot of different answers. What you really need to do is get an idea of which models you think you'll like and then take them for a test drive. If you don't have a store near you that will you do this then try looking for a local geocaching group or even a couple of local caches who will allow you to test drive their units.

Excellent advice! If you have any small events near you go to one or more of them and have other cachers tell you about their gps units. I know that you will get an ear full LOL

I think one of the first decisions you need to make is if you want a touchscreen or not. So that you don't outgrow it quickly be sure to get one that has paperless caching capability. I saw a couple in hand and ruled them out as soon as I held them. You may do that too. Good luck!