Pocket Query Option: Solved Mystery Caches only to be included

Foxy_Oxy

I often do bike tours and beforehand put a pocket query on my GPS (in which certain cache types as e.g. Event Caches are excluded)

This query allows me easily to realise when I come along a cache.

With regard to mysteries (aka puzzle caches) it would be absolutely perfect, if there was a possibility to create a pocket query which includes solved caches only.

This could be realised by an additional checkbox to be filled by user or by the fact that coordinates have been updated in GC.com.

This would allow me to only show the solved mysteries while biking around, but ignore the unsolved for this point of time. Right now, I always have to take my smartphone, go online and check whether the coordinates on my GPS device are already solved ones or still the original fictional ones.

I did not find this issue being discussed here in this forum, though I cannot imagine I would be the only one who would appreciate this!?

I did not find this issue being discussed here in this forum, though I cannot imagine I would be the only one who would appreciate this!?

Yep, it's been discussed several times in the past:

[FEATURE] Additional filter in Pocket Queries

SUBMITTED (32672) - [FEATURE] New Filter Request for Pocket Queries

Feature suggestion: PQ Filter “corrected coordinates”

TPTB have promised a rebuild of the Pocket Query system for a few years now, so maybe they'll finally get around to it sometime in the next decade or so.

What you can do (what works for us) is to place all your solved puzzles in a bookmark list as you solve them and then run a pocket query from that.

Yes, as a work around it would be ok. However, then I always have "useless" solved mysteries on my GPS as well, as it would be the one big "solved Mysteries Bookmark List"...I think it is not really feasible (in a meaning of sensible) to create these bookmark lists by regions or so ;-)

I dont understand why Groundspeak does not come up with something her. Technically it should be super easy...it is just a database field which is existent already (changed coords -> yes/no).

Add me to the list.

This "little checkbox" should not pose that big problem I think. (ok i'm naive)

As corrected coordinates are not delivered via the live API, I have a problem "in the field" when I dared to update a mystery on the mobile phone. (in the GC APP it is then overwritten with the wrong coordinates)

A Pocket Query holding the custom coords would save this. And maintaining a Bookmark list for this is tedious.

As corrected coordinates are not delivered via the live API, I have a problem "in the field" when I dared to update a mystery on the mobile phone. (in the GC APP it is then overwritten with the wrong coordinates)

The strange thing is: "Neongeo", a caching App, uses the Groundspeak live API and indeed uses updated coordinates. However Groundspeak's own App cannot handle it as "there are some complications" (whatever that means).

Nevertheless, this is a solution for smart phones, but not for GPS devices themselve.

One further thing which makes the "bookmark work-around" not really feasible for me is that there is no option to exclude found caches for queries created from bookmarks. This means that I would have to check the bookmark list whenever I logged a mystery and delete the respective cache from the list again. So the work for maintaining this list increases further.

One further thing which makes the "bookmark work-around" not really feasible for me is that there is no option to exclude found caches for queries created from bookmarks. This means that I would have to check the bookmark list whenever I logged a mystery and delete the respective cache from the list again. So the work for maintaining this list increases further.
Agreed. I'd love to maintain a "solved puzzles" bookmark list, and have the PQ ignore found caches on that list. Unfortunately, I have to maintain a "solved unfound puzzles" list, which is more work as Foxy_Oxy explained.

I agree that the bookmark work around is not efficient - I only mentioned it because I wasn't sure if you knew there was a way you could manage your solved puzzles until Groundspeak made changes to the site.

What I would really like is that when I do solve a puzzle and update the coordinates, that those coordinates get downloaded in my next pocket query. I DNFed a few puzzles because I didn't realize that I was still going out with the fake coords. It would be great if the location marker would change on the maps too instead of me having to cross-check on Google maps.

What I would really like is that when I do solve a puzzle and update the coordinates, that those coordinates get downloaded in my next pocket query. I DNFed a few puzzles because I didn't realize that I was still going out with the fake coords. It would be great if the location marker would change on the maps too instead of me having to cross-check on Google maps.

Pocket Queries have contained the updated coordinates since the Dec 6th site update. As the system is currently, though, there's no indication in the GPX files that a cache is using updated coordinates. In addition, the marker is shown in the updated spot on the cache listing page, but the main map still shows it in the posted spot. TPTB have promised changes to both of these, but they haven't yet materialized.

I always added solved mystery caches as waypoints in my GPS. However, after a factory reset, they are all gone and I have absolutely no idea, how to recreate them without manually checking every single mystery in my neighbourhood.

Desperately waiting for a "corrected coordinates only" checkbox in the PQ definition... :blink:

Option, but like many, wind up pointing to GSAK as the solution. Run the PQ with all puzzles. When you solve puzzles, add them to a GSAK database for solved puzzles with the corrected coordinates.

When you run a PQ, delete puzzles from your full GSAK database, and copy from your solved list back over into your full GSAK database. They'll be the only ones that appear.

Option, but like many, wind up pointing to GSAK as the solution. Run the PQ with all puzzles. When you solve puzzles, add them to a GSAK database for solved puzzles with the corrected coordinates.

When you run a PQ, delete puzzles from your full GSAK database, and copy from your solved list back over into your full GSAK database. They'll be the only ones that appear.

You don't say whether you are changing the coords in gsak or on the website and might be over complicating the issue. I use gsak but correct the coordinates on the website and then use the API to get caches. GSAK marks them as corrected and then you can filter for just them. In addition you can add a macro to the Garmin Export that places an identifier at the front of the same so you can tell on your garmin that it is solved.

For more detail go here http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=26074

I haven't been bothering with changing the coordinates in the gc.com database. That's how I've avoided 'over complicating' the issue. While the gc.com solution is good for a lot of people, those of us using GSAK have been able to simplify this problem for a long time, and can take advantage of it using either method.

But since I'm already using GSAK to combine several PQs each week, I might just as well correct the puzzle info in my GSAK puzzle database. I keep them all there, both solved and still working. The solved ones are user flagged to put into the 'big list' each week. I don't use gc.com to map out my routes, either, since I'm always filtering things in different ways. I may want to spend a trip tackling only my DNF caches and those 2.5 and above, for example. In the long run, my existing use of GSAK has precluded me from taking time to enter the data at gc.com. For those that can't or won't run GSAK, I can certainly see the usefulness of doing it via gc.com.

Apparently it is still either going with bookmark list or downloading +10k mysteries thru api in gsak to filter out the solved ones? While phone aps get solved mysteries thru api, is it worth the processor time for gc.com compared to pq:s to force everyone to go thru this trouble?