Am I required to mention that a cache is a "Nano"?

Xavier Horovitz

I'm aware of the nano-hate this forum produces, and the question I'm asking might even incite more anger, and for that I am sorry. I'm greatly interested in nano caches. It's remarkable just how small they can be. Anyway, since nanos actually fall in the micro category, am I required to mention that it is a nano? I shouldn't think I am, but I want to know it's allowed for sure. I'd like to drop subtle hints about its nano-ish size as opposed to coming out and saying it.

I'm aware of the nano-hate this forum produces, and the question I'm asking might even incite more anger, and for that I am sorry. I'm greatly interested in nano caches. It's remarkable just how small they can be. Anyway, since nanos actually fall in the micro category, am I required to mention that it is a nano? I shouldn't think I am, but I want to know it's allowed for sure. I'd like to drop subtle hints about its nano-ish size as opposed to coming out and saying it.

No, you aren't required to say it's a nano. However, unless your intention is to make your cache difficult to find, I would certainly appreciate it if you did mention it. The difference in possible hiding spots between a film canister/bison tube and a nano can be pretty wide. Knowing what type (and size) of container you're looking for can turn a daunting (and possibly frustrating) search into a manageable one.

You are not required to mention the size of the cache in the description, and if you want to "hide" that it is a nano you can simply list it as a micro or the not specified "X" (although many people filter those out of their pocket queries because they usually turn out to be nanos.)

The only thing I would ask is that you not purposely list a cache as being of a size other than it is. Seekers use the container size as way to narrow down the search areas. If you want to make your cache trickier to find, don't list a size at all.

As far as nano-hate goes, I think the majority of the issues are about nanos stuck to bus stop shelters or dumpsters. Choose your location carefully and you will get less flack about the size of your container. ;)

If you want to make your cache trickier to find, don't list a size at all.

NO! The Only reason to not list a size of the cache is IF you Honestly don't know what size it is. Once someone states what size the cache Should be listed as, change it in the Edit Cache to show the size.

The Steaks

Man, I'd never lie about the size of the container. Do people really do that? That's low. And very un-fun.

I don't know how many people actually lie about the container size. Some don't do their homework and really don't understand the cache sizes, so they list it wrongly. Other times a nice Regular or Small cache gets muggled one too many times and the owner changes it to a Micro in the field but neglects to change the size in the cache listing. I ran across one of these last week, spent 10 minutes looking for what was supposed to be a Regular. The owner did mention in the description that the container "used to be an ammo can but it isn't any more", but they still left the size as Regular, so I figured it was just another type of container, still regular sized. Turned out to be a magnetic key holder stuck to a guardrail. :mad:

Sometimes CO's just select Unknown size if listing the size would be too much of a giveaway....especially when they use one of those little micro ammo cans and say in the description that it's an ammo can...

Small-cache-or-big-hand.jpg

Edited by Chief301

You are not required to mention the size of the cache in the description, and if you want to "hide" that it is a nano you can simply list it as a micro or the not specified "X" (although many people filter those out of their pocket queries because they usually turn out to be nanos.)

Hmmm...Our multi is listed as not specified because all of the stages are different. We never thought cachers would ignore it because of that.

Hmmm...Our multi is listed as not specified because all of the stages are different. We never thought cachers would ignore it because of that.

I wouldn't ignore your multi but if I was looking for a multi to put an item in I'd chose a different multi instead of taking a chance with your multi. I don't know what the norm is in your area but from my experience the multi cache owner will use the size of the final container in the multi as the size. It is understood that the other stages could be, and usually are, of varying sizes. Some COs even list the sizes in the description. I commonly see descriptions like this. Final is an ammo can all other stages are bison containers.

You should list it as a micro, and state in the description (or at least give a STRONG hint) that it's a nano.

Aside from the placement issues, the main problem with a nano is that it's seldom waterproof, and needs really frequent maintenance to replace the tiny log. With most other cache sizes there will usually be the possibility for me to add some paper if the log is full...not with a nano!