Cant Download Files With The Premium Feature?

Lord_Chad

We still need some detail. What page are you on? What are you doing on that page? What end result are you trying to accomplish? So far all you've told us is that you're trying to download a bunch of waypoints from some unspecified location to another unspecified location. We can't see what you're doing, so you need to describe it to us.

I have the same problem.

I do the following:

1. klick on play

2. hide & seek

3. by Address (Berlin / 100 mile radius)

4. scroll down, klick on "check all"

5. klick on "download"

There after a site is loading with no caches... thats it. No download, nothing.

I am having the same problem; here is the sequence

Specific cache detail page-

Find all nearby caches-

All geocache page-

Check boxes on the left of caches I want-

Click download-

Instead of the Easy GPS screen popping up as usual it takes me to an All Geocaches page again with total records-

Click download from that page, same results.

Tried from laptop and home computer with same results.

Uninstalled Easy GPS on both and reinstalled, same results.

One note is that yesterday I tried for the first time to find caches along a route.

Received email with caches and they were in Easy GPS format.

Deleted because I thought there was a problem.

I can still load caches one at a time by clicking send to unit.

Thanks for any replies.

I'm having the same issues. I'm hoping this gets corrected soon because I'm about to head down to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi for a few days and I want to load a bunch of caches in the surrounding spot from where I'll be staying. If I don't, I'll have to rely on my iPhone alot more than I wanted to... rather stick with my Garmin GPS.

I am also having the same problem. I am trying to download all the caches in the Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks area and can only do it one cache at a time. mtnsurf's explanation perfectly describes what I am experiencing. I have also tried downloading from different computers. I tried reloading EasyGPS. I had my brother try with his log-on and nothing has worked. I am currently downloading one at a time and it is taking me forever! HELP!

I'm hitting the same issue.. I go to the "List newest in (whatever state, in my case, Connecticut)" from my profile page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx) scroll down to the bottom of the page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=7 , for Connecticut), click the [Check All] button, then clicking [Download].. it responds the same as if I never checked any, showing the blank record, and the <Prev <<,1,2,3,4.....>> Next>... header & footers. But, no .loc file is downloaded.

(yes, I know this only creates a .LOC file, I load this into GSAK, and use the api to update the info.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

To the 5 posters above me (pinguair, mtnsurf, wildfox34, Cache-Out, gelfling6), you're all premium members and have access to Pocket Queries. They're arguably the biggest benefit of premium membership, and they'll do what you're wanting to do (download caches) with a lot more options. Rather than downloading 20 caches with almost no information, you can download 1000 caches with full name, ratings, description, hint, logs, etc.

The A-Team

I tried three times to create a pocket query and each time it came up with no results. I read the instructions and am not that technically challenged. I tried from the map page as well as from the links through my profile page. I wasn't trying to find 1000 caches, just a small number in the Red Rock Canyon area of Las Vegas. I filtered my request to just traditional caches that I haven't found. As an origin, I used a cache number that was in the middle of my search area. I only expanded out 10 miles, and filtered down the terrain and difficulty ratings. I am lost as to why I can no longer load multiple caches no matter which way I try. Even on the cache detail page I can individually send to unit or when I click on GPX, EasyGPS pops up and I can send it to my GPS.

Thank You.......Mtnsurf

The A-Team

I tried three times to create a pocket query and each time it came up with no results. I read the instructions and am not that technically challenged. I tried from the map page as well as from the links through my profile page. I wasn't trying to find 1000 caches, just a small number in the Red Rock Canyon area of Las Vegas. I filtered my request to just traditional caches that I haven't found. As an origin, I used a cache number that was in the middle of my search area. I only expanded out 10 miles, and filtered down the terrain and difficulty ratings. I am lost as to why I can no longer load multiple caches no matter which way I try. Even on the cache detail page I can individually send to unit or when I click on GPX, EasyGPS pops up and I can send it to my GPS.

Thank You.......Mtnsurf

I tried using Calico Cave as the center and set the distance at 10 miles (why so high?)and got about 800 caches with NO filtering on at all. However this takes you into the western edge of LV.

Presuming you want to hunt in the Red Rock and Blue Diamond areas I reset the distance to 4 miles, again with NO filtering and got only 179 caches.

I suggest you start with no filters and gradually add one at a time to see where you are doing wrong. The usual mistake is to filter for both found and not found caches thinking it will return all caches. What it actually does is return each cache that is both found and not found. Since there are no such caches, it correctly returns nothing. You obviously have created such a conflict the way you have created the pocket query. So try adding the constraints one at a time making sure you are getting what you want each time.

Markwell has a PQ tutorial at this link: www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Good luck, PQs are a great tool once you learn how to structure them.

I suggest you start with no filters and gradually add one at a time to see where you are doing wrong. The usual mistake is to filter for both found and not found caches thinking it will return all caches. What it actually does is return each cache that is both found and not found. Since there are no such caches, it correctly returns nothing. You obviously have created such a conflict the way you have created the pocket query. So try adding the constraints one at a time making sure you are getting what you want each time.

Good advice above. Also know that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SET A DAY OF THE WEEK WHEN TESTING THE DIFFERENT PQ SETTINGS/OPTIONS. That way, no PQ's are charged against your daily quota (of 5), but you can see what would have been generated if you had set a day of the week. When you do get the testing result you want, set the day of the week and run it for real. That will generate an actual PQ.

GeoTrekker26 & Cardinal Red,

Thanks for the info. I just ran a query and it worked. As GeoTrekker stated I reduced the radius to 4 miles, and for the tricky part did not check found and haven't found at the same time,(why would I want to find them again anyway). I received the email right away and opened the zip for EasyGPS and there they were, amazing!!!! Once again, thanks.....Mtnsurf.

To the 5 posters above me (pinguair, mtnsurf, wildfox34, Cache-Out, gelfling6), you're all premium members and have access to Pocket Queries. They're arguably the biggest benefit of premium membership, and they'll do what you're wanting to do (download caches) with a lot more options. Rather than downloading 20 caches with almost no information, you can download 1000 caches with full name, ratings, description, hint, logs, etc.

All, except one thing, A-Team.. Note, I was looking for Newest.. I already have a good selection of what's around me, but what is new? That's one function Pocket queries, and the GSAK API do not have... Hence why I am trying to obtain the newest in a .LOC form, and use GSAK to obtain them, then import into the area database.. Pocket Queries, would obtain JUST what's in a pre-determined area, Old or Not.a wee bit of overkill, when I want to only obtain 20, 30, 60 or so new caches for my entire state, not 1000 in a 35-mile radius (which Connecticut is a little wider than 89 east to west.) Doing a custom pocket query for JUST the caches placed within the past 2-3 days, is a bit overkill.

What we're reporting, is a feature that was working before, that has suddenly stopped, with the recent update. And, as you pointed out, yes, we are premium members, and not saying it has great power over non-subscribed members, we're simply asking to have the problem fixed.

As of yet, the method I described above, is still malfunctioning, and giving the same empty page result (just the <Prev <<, 1,2,3,4... >> Next> Headers & footers, but thing between, and no .loc file is being generated, or downloaded.

Doing a custom pocket query for JUST the caches placed within the past 2-3 days, is a bit overkill.

I don't understand that statement. With a PQ you can filter as you want then add a date placed constraint. If "the last 7 days" is too broad, you can specify exact dates. What is the overkill?

Using a PQ certainly uses less system resources than having it download what you want with limited data, then using a second access with the API to download the same caches again with full data. Why not get all the data the first time and be done with it?

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Doing a custom pocket query for JUST the caches placed within the past 2-3 days, is a bit overkill.

I don't understand that statement. With a PQ you can filter as you want then add a date placed constraint. If "the last 7 days" is too broad, you can specify exact dates. What is the overkill?

Using a PQ certainly uses less system resources than having it download what you want with limited data, then using a second access with the API to download the same caches again with full data. Why not get all the data the first time and be done with it?

Well the problem is you can't. You can't get PM status, favorite counts, and personal notes with a PQ, you need to use refresh cache data in order to get that.

Thank you A-Team, GeoTrekker26, and Cardinal Red for the advice on Pocket Queries. I've been meaning to look into Pocket Queries for some time but thought it was too complicated. The Markwell tutorial was very helpful and made it very simple. I was able to download all of the caches very easily. Now I'll have to look into creating routes! I still hope the original problem regarding downloading caches will be resolved since I still find it useful as another option for downloading multiple caches very quickly. Thanks again for your help!

I am also having the same issue described by others here in that I cannot select and download just a page or two of caches. I agree with gelfling6 above. There may be other ways to get the results, however we are describing a problem with the website that was working before and now is malfunctioning. Please address this issue. I just upgraded to the premium membership and am leaving for a trip tomorrow (well, later today, looking at the time) and am disappointed that I do not have the functionality that had before with this site.

Well the problem is you can't. You can't get PM status, favorite counts, and personal notes with a PQ, you need to use refresh cache data in order to get that.

Excellent point. I personally never worry about those so I didn't think of them. Doesn't mean they are important to many cachers, just means I wasn't thinking out of my way of doing things.

Thanks!

I select Geocaching>Hide and Seek A Geocache>Search for Geocaches. I check all the boxes and then select the Download box. Nothing downloads and the page turns over to this;

Total Records: 4441 - Page: 1 of 223 - < Prev << <[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]> >> Next >

Total Records: 4441 - Page: 1 of 223 - < Prev << <[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]> >> Next >

I've used Safari 5.1.7, Google Chrome 20.0.1132.47 and Firefox 13.0 with a Mac OS 10.6.8

I am able to download caches thru the Send to GPS icon at the far right of each cache listing but it is a tedious process compared to downloading all checked caches.

I select Geocaching>Hide and Seek A Geocache>Search for Geocaches. I check all the boxes and then select the Download box. Nothing downloads and the page turns over to this;

I've used Safari 5.1.7, Google Chrome 20.0.1132.47 and Firefox 13.0 with a Mac OS 10.6.8

I am able to download caches thru the Send to GPS icon at the far right of each cache listing but it is a tedious process compared to downloading all checked caches.

I'm having the same problem as above

I'm checking all caches on a Search Page and tried to "Download" the loc files. The result is just a plain list of cache pages. :sad:

Downloading loc files seems to be broken at the moment (starting some days ago)

Happy Coding

Hans

I'm having the same problem as above

I am also having the same problem, using a new etrex - but not able to download multiple geocaches.

I'm using pocket queries, and I have come up with the list of caches I want to download but I "select all" and then "download" and it comes up with nothing.

This has never happened before, I know what I am doing, and I understand perfectly what the original posts were about. It has nothing to do with Pocket Queries, but to do with attempting to download a list of caches, however it was created.

Like the others, I have a trip out planned tomorrow and have not got the time to manually download the possible caches we may encounter. This normally would take a matter of minutes at most.

I'm using pocket queries, and I have come up with the list of caches I want to download but I "select all" and then "download" and it comes up with nothing.

Forgive my ignorance because you probably have your reasons, but if you're already running a pocket query, why not use the provided GPX file? It's being generated anyway, it contains all the results with full descriptions, and you don't have to manually download them 20 at a time, so why not use it?

I can add my confirmation that the LOC download method discussed in this thread is broken, and can also add that the "Download to .Loc" button on bookmark lists is broken in the same way (ie. it just brings you back to the same page).

I am glad I read the forum. I was trying to do this for the first time. I wondered why I had to download all my files separately. I checked the box that will check them all but could not download them to my gps all at once. At least I know I was trying to do this correctley. I hope they fix this. If all were able to do it before I am sure they will fix it.

We still need some detail. What page are you on? What are you doing on that page? What end result are you trying to accomplish? So far all you've told us is that you're trying to download a bunch of waypoints from some unspecified location to another unspecified location. We can't see what you're doing, so you need to describe it to us.

I create a pocket query then I click to review it. I get the list of 100 caches I wanted listed on a screen. I check all to select. I then click on the little gps icon to down load all 100 caches at once. Nothing happens. I then try to click on the "download" button and it takes me to a different screen and will not let me down them at all. I had to download 100 caches all one at time. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the result when trying to download waypoints/geocaches:

No%20Loc-files.png

I'm still getting the exact same result a DanPan (post above this one).. and yes, I am clicking on the Check All box, they are getting checked, but the above result, is exactly as if you hadn't checked any box. ergo, It is still broken.

It may be using more resources, but (a) it worked (at least it did, before this recent update to the site) ( b ) has always worked. I may do things differently, and that is my right as an individual. (sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't like being talked down to. I deal enough with it in my regular life.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

This is an issue that was caused by a localization change in the last release. It only affects premium members, so there are some good work-arounds (PQs and Send to GPS). We hope to be able to get the fix into the current sprint, but I'm still waiting for official word on that.

Does anyone else use ExpertGPS to DL caches? I like to search for "caches I haven't found" from a pinpointed location or even around a certain cache from the cache page, then check the ones (or all of them) I want to DL into ExpertGPS topo maps. Suddenly nothing is DLg.

Any ideas? I haven't changed any settings from what I usually do.

I just joined as a premium member and lost finctionality. Can I get my premium membership refunded? It seems like the admins are refusing to recognize and fix the problem.

Please see my response just above. If you do not feel that the superior Pocket Query functionality is an adequate solution for this temporary bug, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com and we will gladly refund your membership.

I've noticed that if you display a list of caches, such as by clicking on the Find Nearby Caches link on a cache listing page

and then tick the checkbox on some (or all) and then click on <Download>, then they don't download and you get taken to a summary page.

Edited by gmj3191

Okay, Moun10bike, you keep touting to the premium users to use the "far superior" pocket queries.. Okay, yes it works.. But with massive overhead on the user's end (multiple records I did not need.). But, as other have pointed out multiple times, and you keep answering that "the pocket queries is the work-around", it still stands... the system is not working as it was supposed to do, or is it? Are we being forced to use the pocket queries? I'm not wanting a flame war in this discussion just as much as anyone else is, but the fact still remains.. The recent upgrades have caused a malfunction, and need to be fixed.. This has been the status for a whole week now. The question is "what is Groundspeak doing to fix the problem?"

If PQs are giving you too many results, then drop the radius of the query or filter in one of the other many possible ways. Alternatively, us "Send to GPS" to selectively send one or a few caches to your GPS. As for what we are doing about this issue, please see my response above. We use scrum methodology utilizing 2-week sprints, which means that the current development cycle was already planned when this issue was discovered. We will try to shoehorn the fix into this sprint, but if we can't fit it in then it will be in the next release 2 weeks later.

If you create a new ordinary membership, at least you can download the .loc files.

:blink: Nice idea, but I don't think the owners of Groundspeak would appreciate multiple accounts. :rolleyes: Kinda overloads the system I imagine. :anibad:

Okay. Thank you Moun10bike, I do appreciate the answer.. Yes, I know full well on releases.. At least 2 weeks is reasonable. For now, I'll just have to deal with the overhead. (by overhead, I mean the copy that's also getting sent to my Email, which after i download it from here, I simply delete the email. )

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60 and haven't been using it for a while, so may be doing something wrong. I have Easy GPS. When I go onto the site for cache locations - I choose the cache I want but then when I go to the bottom of the page to download, it doesn't want to complete the transaction. Does nayone have any instructions for me?