Cant Download Files With The Premium Feature?

Lord_Chad

Glad I checked this Forum since I thought it was just me having this problem. After DLg caches into ExpertGPS, plotting a map of just where I wanted to go, then DLg them on my GPS from there, I guess I'm just stuck in my ways! I suppose I could learn a new way, but I also hope that this can be prioritized and fixed soon!

Here's another member with the same problem. I can download .loc files for caches individually but when I use the checkboxes on queries [search or pocket] then click "Download" I get a screen with the number of results and page links [twice, actually] but no individual caches listed and no download happens. Hope it can be fixed soon. Contact me by email if you need screen grabs of what is happening.

If PQs are giving you too many results, then drop the radius of the query or filter in one of the other many possible ways. Alternatively, us "Send to GPS" to selectively send one or a few caches to your GPS. As for what we are doing about this issue, please see my response above. We use scrum methodology utilizing 2-week sprints, which means that the current development cycle was already planned when this issue was discovered. We will try to shoehorn the fix into this sprint, but if we can't fit it in then it will be in the next release 2 weeks later.

So essentially your saying that it takes a month to solve ANY problem at Groundspeak unless you can "shoehorn" it in. If I was a bit less sensitive to the needs of Groundspeak and it's employees, I'd probably conclude from this that the "methodology" and individuals work schedules were more important than the customers. Nah!

When your "methodology" is leading you to drive off a cliff, it is time for a new "methodology". Just a thought.

If PQs are giving you too many results, then drop the radius of the query or filter in one of the other many possible ways. Alternatively, us "Send to GPS" to selectively send one or a few caches to your GPS. As for what we are doing about this issue, please see my response above. We use scrum methodology utilizing 2-week sprints, which means that the current development cycle was already planned when this issue was discovered. We will try to shoehorn the fix into this sprint, but if we can't fit it in then it will be in the next release 2 weeks later.

So essentially your saying that it takes a month to solve ANY problem at Groundspeak unless you can "shoehorn" it in. If I was a bit less sensitive to the needs of Groundspeak and it's employees, I'd probably conclude from this that the "methodology" and individuals work schedules were more important than the customers. Nah!

When your "methodology" is leading you to drive off a cliff, it is time for a new "methodology". Just a thought.

Not at all. We can hotfix critical issues, adjust the schedule of the current sprint in order to work in fixes that can't be hotfixed, or schedule the fix for the next sprint if not critical. This is a very common and respected methodology in software development that keeps the dev team from getting too randomized while continuing to focus on the longer-term goals.

While this issue is annoying (obviously) for many users, there are good workarounds available and so the issue is not seen as critical (i.e. preventing people from using the site). The good news is that we were able to get the fix into this sprint. It was checked in yesterday and so you should see it in Tuesday's release.

We have the same problem and we get the same screen!

H & M

We still need some detail. What page are you on? What are you doing on that page? What end result are you trying to accomplish? So far all you've told us is that you're trying to download a bunch of waypoints from some unspecified location to another unspecified location. We can't see what you're doing, so you need to describe it to us.

This is the result when trying to download waypoints/geocaches:

No%20Loc-files.png

I have tried multiple ways to create a PQ and do a download and all it ever returns are the geocaches I have already found. The generated .loc/.gpx file in no way resembles the search generated by the PQ.

After 4 weeks, the problem has been fixed. :cool: And, I did a mass download of .LOC's for the past month.. 3 missing 'Unavailables' and 2 event caches missed, and archived. These are immediately filtered out by PQ's.. Suffice to say, PQ's are not superior in missing these (yes, I know, who wants to know about unavailable caches, or caches that have been archived?) (some of us do a little recon, checking if they really were unavailable, or coordinates off.)

For my employer, we just upgrade to premium membership and our ability to download a working .loc file had gone away. When I attempt to load it into mapsource I get a simple error message saying "could not be imported." It functioned perfectly before upgrading to premium and still functions with a non-premium personal account. I understand the premise of PQs, but the functionality of the quick .LOC list download is gone. Also it does not suggest that a premium user should be expected to use only PQs when upgrading has removed the text verifaction step prior to downloading a .loc from the "nearby caches" list.

For my employer, we just upgrade to premium membership and our ability to download a working .loc file had gone away. When I attempt to load it into mapsource I get a simple error message saying "could not be imported." It functioned perfectly before upgrading to premium and still functions with a non-premium personal account. I understand the premise of PQs, but the functionality of the quick .LOC list download is gone. Also it does not suggest that a premium user should be expected to use only PQs when upgrading has removed the text verifaction step prior to downloading a .loc from the "nearby caches" list.

Works correctly for me.

Works correctly for me.

Thanks Jholly, I was hoping that it was related to some permissions needing to be changed since we had just upgraded our membership but alas 24 hours later we're still getting the message. iCNXe.png

Like I said previously, it still works when using my non upgraded membership making it all the more frustrating and suggesting that I'm not doing something stupid.

UPDATE: I've found that the LOC file works fine with Google Earth and it would be a mapsource issue? I've tried it on 2 different versions of mapsource with the same error. thoughts?

Edited by TPWD

Yes, a mapsource/Groundspeak problem. I seem to remember something about the .loc files changing for premium users and mapsource is not able to read them. I think Groundspeak added difficulty, terrain and container size to the files. Basecamp can read the files.

Edited by jholly