Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Nwilwohl

Boy Scout Geocaching

There is a badge for geocaching in boy scouts and they want to do it is there any boy scout caches in Illinois and should the boy scouts put out their own?

If you are referring to Requirement 8a, then those are few and far between. Most scout troops I council for the merit badge do requirement 8C. I see you are right off of I-57. I would put a travel bug hotel right off the interstate. I am sure you would get lots of traffic for the people going between Chicago, Kankakee and southern Illinois.

Mark Case

Education Forum Moderator

If the scout is actually interested in placing a cache, then I'd recommend that they find at least 50-75 caches Before placing. Of course, I'll recommend this to ANYONE that wants to place a cache. I've lately seen some REALLY poor hides from cachers that have less than even 50 finds.

Of course, he can choose to do another requirement, but the thing to remember in any case, any cache needs to have someone that will keep maintenance on the cache.

The Steaks

What should it be in difficulty and when should we start getting in the higher ranges like 3.5-5.0

What should it be in difficulty and when should we start getting in the higher ranges like 3.5-5.0
First, hide the cache. Then rate the difficulty. See the Help Center article for the recommended rating system: Ratings for Difficulty and Terrain