Geocaching.com site update June 26th 2012

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

• Updated Geocachingblockparty.com with new banner and copy

• Cleaned up localization: home page, cache details page, Favorites bar, cache search pages and site footer

• Fixed bug in the new cache submission process where coordinates East of the Prime Meridian would inaccurately display on the map

• Fixed bug on cache details page which caused some cache type icons to be incorrectly sized

Starting a few minutes ago with this update, many (all?) caches in my area show the location incorrectly. It always shows the cryptic

"In & m_cache.Location"

instead of

"In Niedersachsen, Germany" or "In Bremen, Germany"

at the right side of the coordinates.

Examples are: GC36PA3, GC3NN23, GC3DWRQ, GC3P0C5

Another bug with the recent update:

On the right side of the container size graphic, there is normally a small text saying "small", "micro", "large" and so on. but for the grandfathered virtual-caches, it shows "([invalid Resource Key: ContainerType5])". Example: GCJC3G

Did this update change the cache size description on the cache page? I have just started noticing that instead of "Regular" size it is now saying "Medium" even though the cache submission page still has Regular not Medium as cache size choice. Info???

Thanks

Did this update change the cache size description on the cache page? I have just started noticing that instead of "Regular" size it is now saying "Medium" even though the cache submission page still has Regular not Medium as cache size choice. Info???

Thanks

The cache page says medium, the .gpx file says regular, and as you note the cache submission page says regular. Your 3rd party software still says regular, your GPS will still say regular, just the cache page says medium. Groundspeak's is noted for consistent inconsistencies. God help the newbie trying to figure all this out. They won't be able to solve this inconsistency until they implement the data schema change they have been talking about for what, an year?

Call me picky, but in what way is:

Updated Geocachingblockparty.com with new banner and copy

an update to Geocaching.com site (the purpose of this thread)

The block party events are of very little interest to the vast majority of cachers throughout the world. :mad:

Mark

The tone of this thread is degenerating.

They won't be able to solve this inconsistency until they implement the data schema change they have been talking about for what, an year?

This is not helpful - or respectful - commentary. We are aware of the inconsistency and what is required to address it.

And the Block Party may not be of interest to you, but there is no need to frown about it.

Color inside the lines, please.

Always a great idea to check this forum after one of those notices that says "Geocaching.com will be down at 10:00 on Tuesday ....)

Most changes are a GOOD thing :D ...

Since, in my past life, I tested and :blink: performance tested web applications :huh::o , I can always say that this is not an easy task to coordinate and test for ahead of time. Even the most diligent tester cannot predict every condition that a user will execute. Thanks to all who help identify "bugs" after a release and post the issues here in this forum! The quick response to these posts shows that the :grin: lackeys :grin: are really working hard!

And regarding Data Base Schema Changes ... WOW, if a developer/tester has an issue identifying every bug, imagine how difficult it is to research how the original poster's (old) data will conform to any new schema change.

Good Work! Thanks for working on improvements!

Edited by BooDogMama

They won't be able to solve this inconsistency until they implement the data schema change they have been talking about for what, an year?

This is not helpful - or respectful - commentary. We are aware of the inconsistency and what is required to address it.

And the Block Party may not be of interest to you, but there is no need to frown about it.

Sorry, but the change to the cache page adds nothing other than confusion and inconsistency. Please explain the relationship to the medium size shown on the cache page and the regular size shown on my GPS and to increase the confusion the submission page shows regular, not medium. Until you can implement the data schema change it would have been much better to leave the cache page alone. And I disagree that pointing out inconsistencies is disrespectful, it is pointing out areas that need to be improved and/or corrected. In my professional life my work was reviewed by my peers. They pointed out inconsistencies and errors in my work. I did not consider it disrespectful, I considered it saving me hours in the debugger. The end result was a better product.

May I ask you why Groundspeak introduced the term medium on the cache page and did not even list this change

if they are aware of the inconsistency?

Regardless of one's interest into the block party, I'm convinced that more cachers are interested into changes like the one

that the cache size regular was changed to medium on cache pages.

Cezanne

Another example of Groundspeak's brilliant customer service. Bless your heart!

Im curious about something. Several months ago, I wrote and asked if anyone could figure out why I am not able to stay signed in. Someone mentioned that it may be because I use a comma on my username. Ok, No problem. However on a recent update to the website, all of the sudden I was staying logged in. Now, Im no longer staying logged in. Have have not changed any settings on my computer, so Im not sure what could be happening.

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey