I'm about to buy a Etrex 20

matgat

I just want to be sure that it's a great starter unit. I was using my iPhone but it drains the battery so quickly, I couldn't do more than 3-4 hours of geocaching. I plan on becoming a Premium member and Pocket Query alot of geocaches in my region and start hunting with my phone as a backup. Is it a good choice? Am I missing something?

Thank you guys!

I just want to be sure that it's a great starter unit. I was using my iPhone but it drains the battery so quickly, I couldn't do more than 3-4 hours of geocaching. I plan on becoming a Premium member and Pocket Query alot of geocaches in my region and start hunting with my phone as a backup. Is it a good choice? Am I missing something?

Thank you guys!

Starter unit? I've owned high end units and the 20 is the best yet. Great choice and you're missing nothing.

I say if you must get this line the 20 is likely a better choice than the 30 - the electronic compass in the 30 is such a dud/doesn't work/works eratically anyway. So save yourself $50 unless you want a barometer and/or use a wireless pulse sensor.

Wouldn't recommend any though - my eTrex 30 has software issues that are so severe that I stopped using it and now back to doing outings with my eTrex H. The same issues are likely to affect the eTrex 20 as well, but may or may not disturb you - some think they are great units - for me it was horrible.

At this initial stage I'm happy with mine. Several days of playing around with no big problems...

Some initial observations I wrote down as I got to grips with it (from a first time GPS user).

Sensitivity:

It correctly locates me - to within a few metres - in my top floor stone walled flat (tested near a window).

It traces my position on trains (not always - have had one failure and three successes).

Accuracy:

Looking at traces on Google Maps from walks - in approximate terms it normally knows what road I'm on, but not always what side of the road if you see what I mean (seems to be less accurate when between taller buildings - 4 floors or so) - very accurate to a metre or two in clearer areas. Occasionally big buildings send it much further off track but this is pretty rare. Haven't worked out yet if this improves by standing still.

Waypoint averaging seems to be helpful if not perfect as a feature related to accuracy.

Openstreetmap maps are great on it (downloaded from Talkytoaster - thanks to him).

Profiles are helpful. Reordering menu items with this in mind also helpful.

Updating software was relatively easy.

Relatively minor point but there's an attachment point for a lanyard which wasn't obvious, but I appreciate.

Custom maps are useful - although seem to all be active or disabled (can't select individually).

Garmin's documentation is pretty minimal. You're in for lots of google searching and research if you want to make the best of the unit. I hope to see a growing user base making up for this.

After talking to Garmin about some issues I was having I wont f.... ever be buying a Garmin again!!

I guess it takes all sorts... But in my opinion Garmin are excellent as regards customer service. They replaced my old unit for a reconditioned unit even though mine was no longer covered by warranty.

I appreciated that, and won't miss an opportunity to tell people so...

Nice one Garmin.