Arriving Saturday, June 30th, 2012

fox-and-the-hound

UPDATE: For anyone who's been interested, but really wants to see one up close and in-hand, they'll be available this weekend at the Berkshire Geobash (GC36CCE). :)

ACTIVATION CODE: "Discovered" For some reason I keep forgetting to include this rather important piece of information. :anicute:

I had the pleasure of seeing and discovering a copy at the Berkshire GeoBash

this past weekend at the GXProxy tent.... :D Great book and a must have for any geocoin collector..... :):)

Edited by chief20r2

ACTIVATION CODE: "Discovered" For some reason I keep forgetting to include this rather important piece of information. :anicute:

Is that the activation cod error just the book or the coin also? Thank you!

The activation code for the book is Discovered. I believe you have to go to the url on the coin flip to activate the coin. Each of these two trackables were built using unique codes and activations. :)

Is there a connection with France that you used a French spelling of memories?

Sandy

Not to France particularly, no, but the French language is the only one I know that has a word with this particular meaning...

Also, after having repeatedly jarred his head on branches, rock outcroppings, computer desks, etc...Chris' true and accurate "memories" may have been inadvertently mixed in with dreams, fantasies, and his secret desire to be a gymnast. Therefore, the word "memoires" is much more accurate as he's had to piece together factual geocoin design information from an entire studio wallpapered with post-its and the various permanent sharpie scribbles on his appendages. I think it's all very accurate, except the part about needing to pick up his dry cleaning last November. Take that blunderous snippet out of the book, and you've got a Pulitzer contender. ;):P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay all kidding aside, I've had the honor and pleasure of receiving a copy of "Discovered"...and it's brilliant. Chris takes you on start-to-finish journeys with some of his most amazing designs, allowing rare glimpses into the thought processes of one truly gifted artist. It's a wonderful documentary, with touches of wit and humility mixed in with Chris' clever eye for cool design. Regardless if you've got one, or one thousand geocoins in your collection, there's something for any geocoin enthusiast to "discover".

Congratulations, Chris. I mean that sincerely. You've once again "raised the bar", and furthered the evolution of trackables.

Dave (Yime)

Thank you Dave! It means a lot to have fellow designers give me the thumbs up :grin:

Thank you everybody for your compliments on the book and your support, too! I really appreciate your feedback. I still want to hear your ideas for how to improve it though for Volume II once you've had a chance to get through this one. Give me your 2 cents, your critique and your suggestions to make the next one even better :D Every design improves with feedback! ^_^

Read to the wee hours...... Now I have ideas flashing all over... curses.... :lostsignal:

OK, that's just part of the creative processs I guess.. read the "Yemon forward" ...he's lucky with a forks in the road... I have New Jersey 5 way circles...!!

Had to order another copy ... a present for a special newbie to coins...

An insight/explanation that has always been needed... this may be the KIA (PM if you don't understand that) that we need to get our personal coin out the door! :D

Well done Chris!!! Vol II? definitely !!

Received my book today. Excited to read it. I'm still a bit bummed that the place I ordered from didn't have the coin included. Either I missed that info (that some sites included the coin) or it wasn't available. At any rate the book looks fantastic. I've thumbed through it but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Is there a way to get the coin separately since I already have the book?

What a mess, there's no german translation...

Please... I mean.... PLEASE, it is possible to find a publishing house that will make it available in german???

It is SO great! :wub:

I'd love to do multiple languages, but I think that would only work for a Kindle version maybe. I'll have to see what it takes to have something of this size translated. Someone mentioned it earlier in the project and my concern is still that for some words there are no direct translations :( I'll give it some serious thought though, thanks! :)

Received my book today. Excited to read it. I'm still a bit bummed that the place I ordered from didn't have the coin included. Either I missed that info (that some sites included the coin) or it wasn't available. At any rate the book looks fantastic. I've thumbed through it but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Is there a way to get the coin separately since I already have the book?

The coin was a completely separate promotional project by only one retailer. A limited number of those coins was created to be included as an extra incentive, but if you ask nicely maybe they'll be convinced to make a few more :) Stay tuned though, I've heard whispers of other promotional projects attached to this book in the works, too. :)

Someone mentioned it earlier in the project and my concern is still that for some words there are no direct translations

As my German language prof used to tell me, "The Germans have a word for everything. If not, they mash two or more other words together. If you still can't find it, you obviously misspoke."

Thank you for the very concise explanation. My book and coin arrived earlier this week and I will thoroughly enjoy learning more about the hobby (way too many geocoins at my house) I so much enjoy.

sandy

Is there a connection with France that you used a French spelling of memories?

Sandy

Not to France particularly, no, but the French language is the only one I know that has a word with this particular meaning. I'll try to explain...

The word memoire doesn't have a direct translation to the English language. It doesn't mean memory or memories or a recording of memories even. Memoire has changed slightly over the last few hundred years, but at it's core it encompasses a number of ideals similar to a thesis, but far more fluid. A memoire is a shared presentation of ideas, opinions, and supporting facts and/or data that explain how one arrives at their conclusions.

I chose a word that embodies the idea that the ideas expressed in the idea art NOT solid proven theory or fact. The writing in this volume in fact shows how NOT to do a lot of things. It's impossible for any crafter to aquire skill in their chosen profession without making mistakes along the way. This book shares what to do, what not to do, what I've done, what I should have done and most importantly it launches a platform for discussion on what could be done in future designs. It's not unlike what used to be presented in the Public Forums of Rome. An idea or series of ideas is presented and a logical conclusion is presented for argument for or against by a person's peers.

I want everyone to question what my conclusions are. I hope I'm right in most, I hope I'm wrong in some and that your response to reading of my conclusions will educate us all to reach greater accomplishments. My biggest concern in presenting this kind of work is that anyone would take the findings as concrete law. The greatest lesson I've learned is that design is a idea that grows. What is true today is not true tomorrow. As you read from the beginning of the book to the end you'll see my standings and opinions change so that what I believe in the first few stories won't actually hold by the final page.

This is the idea of a memoire. I'm telling of experience from my personal view that is fluid, malleable and most importantly open to change as experiences shape me. These are my hypothesis, but I hope you'll see what I saw in the process of growth and I really want to hear your thoughts, too. No one has ever written a book on geocoin design and I believe that little can be accomplished by saying designs should only be this way, that way or in the way I imagine. I'm constantly seeing a coin and thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" or "I should have used that for that coin two designs back!"

You guys sharing ideas here is how I learned to begin with. ;)

So, no connection to France other than a really accurate word to describe this endeavor. :D

This book is very timely for me, as I'm finishing up my next design. Of course, 3 questions pop into my head for each one it answers, but I guess that's what Vol. 2 is for. :) I especially value the part about researching your subject & drawing what is really there, not what you think you see, as years of gardening magazines are spread out all over my house. I'm sure my next design will be better thanks to your advice!

Is the edition sold at the Geocoin Store the only one that includes the coin? I'm just asking because they don't ship out of the US.

Heya GG! :P

I headed to the Geocoin Store for my book purchase as I have always found them to be a great online shopping experience, but I was stopped in my tracks :huh: when I saw the no shipping for this item outside of the US.

Just for future reference Geocoin Store, I paid a premium for shipping elsewhere so if it was price you though we might balk at, we live OS we are used to it :anibad:

Is the edition sold at the Geocoin Store the only one that includes the coin? I'm just asking because they don't ship out of the US.

Heya GG! :P

I headed to the Geocoin Store for my book purchase as I have always found them to be a great online shopping experience, but I was stopped in my tracks :huh: when I saw the no shipping for this item outside of the US.

Just for future reference Geocoin Store, I paid a premium for shipping elsewhere so if it was price you though we might balk at, we live OS we are used to it :anibad:

Yeah but did you get the coin with it AO? I know...we're used to getting the shaft. But hey?! I am not even over any seas here, just a border....

Thank you everyone for the posts, emails and PMs on the book! Thank you to everyone who has given this project a chance. I'm on to my third page of templates filled now, but hope to have it filled by MWGB!

It's been a great learning experience and I'm having a blast hearing people's reactions :) I'm curious to know what would you all would like to see more/less of in Volume II though? I'm compiling piles of new stories, new tips/tricks, insights and discoveries, but I want to make sure I'm putting in what you'd like to see most, too. I can't guarantee it will all get in there, but I'll sure try. Do you have a coin you admire for design? Which one and why? Not just because it's "pretty", but what really makes it stand out from the crowd? I'll begin composing and editing near the end of summer so the more info I can put together now the better product I'll be able to produce later ;)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

The coin was a completely separate promotional project by only one retailer. A limited number of those coins was created to be included as an extra incentive, but if you ask nicely maybe they'll be convinced to make a few more :) Stay tuned though, I've heard whispers of other promotional projects attached to this book in the works, too. :)

I'm reading Discovered (#537) slowly, is very interesting because it has its own life, I mean that is linear in time and space.

I have several of the coins as well as some of you mention as special. It's a surprise to see them now in your book.

I'm especially interested in design development, in the sequence from the initial drawing up the final project, the final result.

This process is important in order to know why a thing is as is. I would like to see in Volume II some sequences of your design process, if possible. Will be enriching, no doubt :)

BTW, I'll be waiting for the remint of the coin, if reminted ;)

ML

I received my book today -- #630. I carefully leafed through the pages (avoiding creases the same way I do with my comics). As soon as I saw page 26 I knew that was Cutter from Elfquest. I just never made the connection to the FTF coin. :D

I want to show this off and let people discover it, but I don't know if I want people leafing through it!

Well done Chris!! I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two.

I received my book today -- #630. I carefully leafed through the pages (avoiding creases the same way I do with my comics). As soon as I saw page 26 I knew that was Cutter from Elfquest. I just never made the connection to the FTF coin. :D

I want to show this off and let people discover it, but I don't know if I want people leafing through it!

Well done Chris!! I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two.

I got to flip thru a book (have not gotten to read much yet) and saw Cutter too. I love Elfquest! I have many of the graphic novels and have read them ALL on line. I too didn't make the connection until seeing this in the book.

CF30

I ordered last week-ish, so just waiting for mine now :)

I'm about to start work on a commemorative coin related to my 366-day geocaching journey and a personal family story, so I'm really hoping this book is a an inspiration and guide for effective design :) can't wait!

I love hearing these reactions because it confirms that we who love geocoins share some common roots in our interests, too!

BTW, I'm heading out to Midwest Geobash tomorrow so if anyone who has a book already is going, just hunt me down and I'd be happy to personalize your copy if you'd like (plus it will give me a chance to see if your sketching! lol) :)

Yes, pictures confirm I am indeed a dork. My only saving grace is that I'm even crazier about coins than I am about ridiculous poses for pictures! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thank you so much to everyone who stopped by to talk coins and 'tags, discussed your upcoming designs and shared your advice for Volume II. I'll be at Bloomsburg's Bash next weekend if you're in the area and would love to hear from everyone who has more ideas to share! See you there :)

I received my 2 copies today! #119 and #121 with the geocoins! Can't wait to crack it open! Now I just have to search through the thread to find out how to activate one of them! :)

The activation code sequence is on the little slip in the coin flip :)

I meant for the book. I found it. :) Thank you!

Congratulations!

Sorry, it's been quite some time since I've checked in on the forums.

Thank you! I know what you mean, I've been so busy with this project I feel like it's a fight just to check in on all the fresh new projects here.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by at MWGB to talk about the project and offer your suggestions for Volume II. I'm constantly amazed at the wealth of ideas and ingenuity from this crowd! :grin:

Hey folks, just wanted to drop in and let you know we have a few of these books left. We ship internationally as well. Head on over to GeoSurvivalGear.com to get yours before they are gone.

Also, we have been working with Chris on a special item related to this book. Another "Mackey Designed" customized trackable item. Stay tuned.

Chris, are you going to be at the Block Party, by any chance?

Sadly, no :( I had planned to be there, but it just didn't work out this year. Frozen Buns will be there though and the books will, too. Hopefully next year :)

Actually, I already have the book and the coin. I was just hoping to get an autograph! :tongue: Maybe someday! Great book!!