Arriving Saturday, June 30th, 2012

fox-and-the-hound

I'm glad you finally spilled the beans. I've been reading this thread since you opened it, but refrained from posting in case I said something stupid. Imagine me, saying something stupid . . :blink:

I'm certainly anxious to see the actual print copy now. I'm also at work, and can't see any of the pics that were loaded. But I'll be able to see them later. And heck, I'm sure I'll be able to see them when they show up at the store.

TMA

Wouw, that looks/sounds very nice. I would love to have this next to my coin collection. But I just received a mail from a shop who's going to sell it, but they only ship to the US at this time :cry: Will they become available for us over seas?

Yes, I got the same mail. Without reading it I clicked the Link and ordered one. After that I read not for intérnational shipping :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry TMA for causing additional work but WHY no shipping outside USA????

"Shenanigans" an interesting word! If the shoe fits.....what are we saying, IT FITS PERFECTLY! B)

Congratulations Chris on a project that will bring into focus what we always loved about great geocoins. Their history, their personal story, and the appreciation of that group of fleeting intangibles. The vision, heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears that goes into making a great coin. We can't wait to have this in our hands. Well done. Put us down for Vol II!

JoenSue

Edited by JoenSue

Same here, would order one, but no shipping to germany...

Try the Geocoin Store.

I ordered my copy and I'm really looking forward to Volume I.

Even though I'm a bit afraid to read stories about those early coin designs, which aren't in my collection. Talk about creating an urge to get my hands on those precious ones... :huh:

Edit to add:

Strange, aparently I shouldn't be allowed to order. But it processed as usual.

I hold my breath and hope not to receive a canceled mail... :unsure:

Edited by ElliPirelli

Same here, would order one, but no shipping to germany...

Try the Geocoin Store.

I ordered my copy and I'm really looking forward to Volume I.

Even though I'm a bit afraid to read stories about those early coin designs, which aren't in my collection. Talk about creating an urge to get my hands on those precious ones... :huh:

Edit to add:

Strange, aparently I shouldn't be allowed to order. But it processed as usual.

I hold my breath and hope not to receive a canceled mail... :unsure:

You should be fine. We heard an order went through and their crew got right on and reinstated the password. Looks like just a small flub with difference in military/digital time clock. It's set to resume at midnight and only a couple slipped through. You should be fine though :)

I hope that there are still some left to buy at the Bash. My $$ are few so saving postage helps. Maybe I could then buy a few things at gxProxy too! :P

There will be some for Bash even if I have to chain them up! MWGB is where I fell in love with this insanity and it all began for me there. :)

I will be first in line then Chris and will be camping out waiting for you to arrive..... :D

Congratulations Chris on a project that will bring into focus what we always loved about great geocoins. Their history, their personal story, and the appreciation of that group of fleeting intangibles. The vision, heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears that goes into making a great coin. We can't wait to have this in our hands. Well done. Put us down for Vol II!

JoenSue

Thank you so much! That's what hooked me so quickly in geocoins. All the fantastic stories, the laughter and shared experiences that thrive around coins are the real magic for me :)

Wouw, that looks/sounds very nice. I would love to have this next to my coin collection. But I just received a mail from a shop who's going to sell it, but they only ship to the US at this time :cry: Will they become available for us over seas?

Yes, I got the same mail. Without reading it I clicked the Link and ordered one. After that I read not for intérnational shipping :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry TMA for causing additional work but WHY no shipping outside USA????

There are a number of stores that will be shipping to International countries, we at GxPROXY will ship anywhere in the world...we will go live with sales in 19 minutes....

Edited by Frozen Buns

I hope that there are still some left to buy at the Bash. My $$ are few so saving postage helps. Maybe I could then buy a few things at gxProxy too! :P

There will be some for Bash even if I have to chain them up! MWGB is where I fell in love with this insanity and it all began for me there. :)

I will be first in line then Chris and will be camping out waiting for you to arrive..... :D

Oh yeah forgot to ask. Will it be the LE or regular version at the Bash or both?

GeoSurvivalGear has them ready to go. Published and selling. Shipping to US and International available.

Just ordered one and realy looking forward to see it in hands. It can be discoverdat my birthday event :D

Thank you for the international service.

GeoSurvivalGear has them ready to go. Published and selling. Shipping to US and International available.

Just ordered one and realy looking forward to see it in hands. It can be discoverdat my birthday event :D

Thank you for the international service.

Thank you JackHoe. We received your order. Shipments will begin on or about 7/6/12.

Ordered. I've been thinking about having a personal geocoin made so this book is very timely!

I tried to order from Geocoinstore.com first but they wanted $41 shipped. I ended up buying mine from geosurvivalgear.com as it was only $33.50 shipped.

The price at geocoinstore also includes the new version of Chris's Tempting the Fates coin made to be packaged with his book and available only at Geocoin Store when you get the new book.

Ordered. I've been thinking about having a personal geocoin made so this book is very timely!

I tried to order from Geocoinstore.com first but they wanted $41 shipped. I ended up buying mine from geosurvivalgear.com as it was only $33.50 shipped.

The price at geocoinstore also includes the new version of Chris's Tempting the Fates coin made to be packaged with his book and available only at Geocoin Store when you get the new book.

Too bad I missed that info. I would have ordered from there in order to get the coin with it. :( Any way to order the coin separately?

The $41 price at the Geocoinstore also includes shipping. I've paid more than that for some single coins I have bought, sad to say! :grin:

WOW! Thats just up my alley as I have been collecting books for over 30 years and geocoins for 3 years. This satisfies both of my guilty pleasures with only one price tag. :)

Great Job!

Woo Hoo! I was able to order the Book/Geocoin set today. I met Chris up at Geocoinfest last year and look forward to reading more of his stories about the early coins.

Wow, what an amazing weekend and now a fantastic start to the week!!! I ran home for a moment to eat before hurrying back down to the office to pack up more books to be sent out and there was a package for me. Geocoins! And not just any geocoins... the geocoins that were a direct result of the sketch on the front of this book!!! Check it out...

timingiseverything.jpg

timingiseverything2.jpg

It's a double whammy for me since it was put onto the cover art months ago and I had no idea at the time when it might get used. What really makes it cool though is the meaning of the coin. Sortior Sine Metu, Search Without Fear, was perfect for this venture. Searching blindly through the process of creating something unlike anything I've done before and the central symbol of Steadfastness on this coin seems almost too good to be true. :grin:

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken a chance on me again or maybe for the first time. The response has been so much better than I dared hope and continues to build. :D

Is there a connection with France that you used a French spelling of memories?

Sandy

Not to France particularly, no, but the French language is the only one I know that has a word with this particular meaning. I'll try to explain...

The word memoire doesn't have a direct translation to the English language. It doesn't mean memory or memories or a recording of memories even. Memoire has changed slightly over the last few hundred years, but at it's core it encompasses a number of ideals similar to a thesis, but far more fluid. A memoire is a shared presentation of ideas, opinions, and supporting facts and/or data that explain how one arrives at their conclusions.

I chose a word that embodies the idea that the ideas expressed in the idea art NOT solid proven theory or fact. The writing in this volume in fact shows how NOT to do a lot of things. It's impossible for any crafter to aquire skill in their chosen profession without making mistakes along the way. This book shares what to do, what not to do, what I've done, what I should have done and most importantly it launches a platform for discussion on what could be done in future designs. It's not unlike what used to be presented in the Public Forums of Rome. An idea or series of ideas is presented and a logical conclusion is presented for argument for or against by a person's peers.

I want everyone to question what my conclusions are. I hope I'm right in most, I hope I'm wrong in some and that your response to reading of my conclusions will educate us all to reach greater accomplishments. My biggest concern in presenting this kind of work is that anyone would take the findings as concrete law. The greatest lesson I've learned is that design is a idea that grows. What is true today is not true tomorrow. As you read from the beginning of the book to the end you'll see my standings and opinions change so that what I believe in the first few stories won't actually hold by the final page.

This is the idea of a memoire. I'm telling of experience from my personal view that is fluid, malleable and most importantly open to change as experiences shape me. These are my hypothesis, but I hope you'll see what I saw in the process of growth and I really want to hear your thoughts, too. No one has ever written a book on geocoin design and I believe that little can be accomplished by saying designs should only be this way, that way or in the way I imagine. I'm constantly seeing a coin and thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" or "I should have used that for that coin two designs back!"

You guys sharing ideas here is how I learned to begin with. ;)

So, no connection to France other than a really accurate word to describe this endeavor. :D

Is there a connection with France that you used a French spelling of memories?

Sandy

Not to France particularly, no, but the French language is the only one I know that has a word with this particular meaning...

Also, after having repeatedly jarred his head on branches, rock outcroppings, computer desks, etc...Chris' true and accurate "memories" may have been inadvertently mixed in with dreams, fantasies, and his secret desire to be a gymnast. Therefore, the word "memoires" is much more accurate as he's had to piece together factual geocoin design information from an entire studio wallpapered with post-its and the various permanent sharpie scribbles on his appendages. I think it's all very accurate, except the part about needing to pick up his dry cleaning last November. Take that blunderous snippet out of the book, and you've got a Pulitzer contender. ;):P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay all kidding aside, I've had the honor and pleasure of receiving a copy of "Discovered"...and it's brilliant. Chris takes you on start-to-finish journeys with some of his most amazing designs, allowing rare glimpses into the thought processes of one truly gifted artist. It's a wonderful documentary, with touches of wit and humility mixed in with Chris' clever eye for cool design. Regardless if you've got one, or one thousand geocoins in your collection, there's something for any geocoin enthusiast to "discover".

Congratulations, Chris. I mean that sincerely. You've once again "raised the bar", and furthered the evolution of trackables.

Dave (Yime)

Too bad I missed that info. I would have ordered from there in order to get the coin with it. :( Any way to order the coin separately?

Missed that info too. :(

Anyway to get the coin separately?

I woke up very early this morning to thunder, lightning, wind and lots of rain. The power went on and off several times before staying off. When I decided to roll out of bed and looked outside there were branches all over the yard. The heat index was supposed to be well over 100 and humidity enough to curl my hair so I decided to spend a couple of hours cleaning up the yard early and then the rest of the day inside.

When inside I decided to start reading the book I chosen for my book club. After awhile the dogs needed out so I ventured out too. I then realized that the mailman should have delivered my mail as my power outage probably didn't affect him. I don't get much interesting mail anymore so I was surprised when I opened the mailbox to find a fat envelope and a small bubble mailer. I had no idea what either of them were. That is until I read the return address of the priority envelope--GxProxy. Big Smile appeared and I hurried the dogs inside so I could open it up. One of the dogs wanted to sit in my lap but I didn't think she wanted me to read it to her so off she went. I opened it up and started to look at the pictures and then to read.

I have now read it cover to cover (not in that order though) and studied several magazines upside down. (You will have to read the book to understand that ;) ) I think I am going to pull out my error Fox and Hound coin that I liked so much and the others in the book and take a good look at some of the things that I am sure I missed. Absolutely great job Chris! But I have a complaint!!!! It is too short--it's a teaser. I WANT more! Put me on the list for Volume 2 :P

I am sitting in the library now writing this. I still don't have power but wanted to make the trip so I could post this. The library is about to close and I have a couple of choices. I can grab a cache to continue my mini streak or go straight home and fondle the above mentioned coins knowing that when I get home I will be "forced" to eat the ice cream that is now melting in my freezer.....Hmmmmm what to do what to do......