How can I avoid feeling awkward while geocaching?

enrio

Most of the caches around me are placed right next to medium-traffic roads. I haven't tried getting any of them because I feel it would just be weird to stop on the sidewalk and start looking around suspiciously and I don't like bringing unwanted attention towards me. I really want to start finding some caches.

Try getting off the beaten track a bit, parks make good places go geocache. But we all deal with attention at times. The thing I try to remember is I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong, and if that's what I project, no one seems to think twice about my searching. Urban caches do tend to be tougher, but with some practice, you'll probably get used to doing those as well. Good luck!

Most of the caches around me are placed right next to medium-traffic roads. I haven't tried getting any of them because I feel it would just be weird to stop on the sidewalk and start looking around suspiciously and I don't like bringing unwanted attention towards me. I really want to start finding some caches.

One thing you'll start to realize is that people are paying much less attention to you than you probably think. You learn to ignore them after a while, most of them really don't care what you're doing.

For ones like that, I tend to wait until later in the evening or do them at night on weekends, although that doesn't always work.

I got some weird looks when I was standing in the middle of a roundabout at 12:30 AM looking for a cache.

Sometimes I may do a "slow walk" to see if I can spot it and then go back later and retrieve it.

I've only done solo caching so far and sometimes you do stand out.

The more you get into caching, you'll find ways to get a cache without looking suspicious.

One tip that was passed on to me was the "pretend you are tying your shoelace" trick while retrieving guardrail cache (for example).

For ones like that, I tend to wait until later in the evening or do them at night on weekends, although that doesn't always work.

I got some weird looks when I was standing in the middle of a roundabout at 12:30 AM looking for a cache.

Sometimes I may do a "slow walk" to see if I can spot it and then go back later and retrieve it.

I've only done solo caching so far and sometimes you do stand out.

The more you get into caching, you'll find ways to get a cache without looking suspicious.

One tip that was passed on to me was the "pretend you are tying your shoelace" trick while retrieving guardrail cache (for example).

Yeah that's what I did for one of them. I just passed by on my bike slowly trying to decide if I should stop to look for it or not. Decided not to because there were a few cars passing by and there was someone across the street tending to her font yard. I imagine going with someone else would seem a lot less suspicious but for now I'm just going to have to go at night, thanks.

I know how you feel, never thought I would like wet weather but it does mean you can generally cache in peace! I have decided that you draw more attention to yourself if you hang around, so now I just go for it (withing reason of course, not if someone is right by the cache and in the case of one, sat on it!!) especially when we've done a few caches where we have been a long way from home with no prospect of going back in the near future so that is quite a few less smiley faces and that would be a shame.

We've been doing this for five years and I still feel awkward sometimes. Usually it means that someone didn't really pick a good spot for a cache.

There's an oft-quoted saying on these boards, if the cache says "stealth required," many times it means it's not in a good spot in the first place (and often hidden without permission to boot).

I try to be stealthy at all times, and I try to avoid caches that are in public. But there's some caches you just can't help but stick out when you're getting them. I've yet to find a lamp post skirt that doesn't holler like a banshee in heat when I lift it up. I try to avoid them, but the last couple I've found have been finals for challenge caches or wherigos so I didn't see them coming.

Don't bother with those to start with.

Get off to where there's fewer people around and find a few caches.

Learn what they look like and how they're hidden. Some of the caches around town can be small and sneaky...

Once you've found a few, and know what you're looking for, you can perfect a 'Slow walk past' where you think the cache is, whilst taking a good look at where it might be hidden, or stand near and look, and then you can go for a quick retrieve to get the cache!

It is easier with two of you, as you can stand chatting to each other as one of you looks to see if there's any sign of the cache.

It gets easier, but there's still a few I just walk away from!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I stopped feeling awkward when it occurred to me that I'm not the one that put the cache there. Don't get me wrong: I still do my best to avoid compromising the cache. But since the CO's the one that decided to put a cache next to a road where anyone searching for it will be seen, I have to assume he or she has taken the risk into account. (By the way, the first thing I consider is whether there's anywhere here for a cache that, contrary to my expectations, I can't be seen from the road. Good caches along roads are sometimes hidden in such places.)

Also keep in mind that anyone driving by that notices you doing something weird will have no idea what you're doing and will never come on foot to poke around trying to figure it out. I figure 9 times out of 10, they'll think I'm taking a pee by the side of the road, so while they'll think I'm gross, they'd never investigate.

Of course, if you'd be embarrassed if some stranger you'll never meet thinks you're taking a pee by the side of the road, then you'll want to look for other caches.

Trying not to attract attention to yourself is a great way to get people to notice you. like all the old-timers say; act like it's your job to be there. Act like you are not doing anything wrong-which you aren't. And you know something, I've felt better about doing those caches. But what it comes down to is that it is your responsibility to decide to go for the cache or not, your job to decide if it's too dangerous, too long of a walk, too hard, etc. if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

I stopped feeling awkward when it occurred to me that I'm not the one that put the cache there. Don't get me wrong: I still do my best to avoid compromising the cache. But since the CO's the one that decided to put a cache next to a road where anyone searching for it will be seen, I have to assume he or she has taken the risk into account. (By the way, the first thing I consider is whether there's anywhere here for a cache that, contrary to my expectations, I can't be seen from the road. Good caches along roads are sometimes hidden in such places.)

I try not to look absolutely obvious, but I only care because I don't want a cache compromised. I figure I am having fun, this is a legitimate hobby and anybody can ask me what I am doing and I will be happy to explain (if they won't harm the cache). Part of the fun is dodging muggles and part of the game.

Also keep in mind that anyone driving by that notices you doing something weird will have no idea what you're doing and will never come on foot to poke around trying to figure it out. I figure 9 times out of 10, they'll think I'm taking a pee by the side of the road, so while they'll think I'm gross, they'd never investigate.

Ah....

Of course, if you'd be embarrassed if some stranger you'll never meet thinks you're taking a pee by the side of the road, then you'll want to look for other caches.

My Wife and I were caching yesterday and decided to look for a cache where she didn't want to go into the brush and I did anyway. A lady we had passed on the trail came by and was looking funny at her when I was yelling out from the trees. She was prepared to say, "That is my husband and he couldn't wait to get home to take a pee". She didn't have to use it, but I draw the line! ;). She lives near us somewhere and might see me again with the label, "oh, that is the guy that was peeing". We ditched that alibi.

Edited by MinnBrewer

The awkwardness gets better with time, but some caches you just feel more awkward at than others. If you feel really uncomfortable leave that one and go on to another. The shoelace trick is great for those low down, and taking a photo of "a neat bug I saw in here" with your cell phone is another. If asked by the police what you are doing - tell the truth, even carry a printout of what geocaching is all about.

People are usually much more interested in their own lives than you, reading the cache page on your device

probably leads them to think you have a text!

Get out there and try it - and let us know how you get on. Happy Caching, and welcome!!

I have just begun caching and this is one of the hangups I have is looking for a cache in public places. So far, I have only hunted for two that were in the woods. The rest around me seem to be at or near public places. One (that I even attempted) even states "do not go at night" and "do not draw attention to yourself" but goes on to say there is plenty of parking. So does this mean the person who placed the cache didn't check with the business owner?

I will say that you do pay less attention when someone is with you but I want to be able to geocache whenever I want even if that means by myself.

even states "do not go at night" and "do not draw attention to yourself" but goes on to say there is plenty of parking. So does this mean the person who placed the cache didn't check with the business owner?

Probably, but not necessarily. Maybe there IS permission, but the business owner doesn't want people around at night. Also remember doing anything that looks not normal is (As in geocaching) even more suspicious at night. Take City Hall for example, during the day someone messing around the building might be a bit weird, but most people won't think much of it. It's a busy place with lots of people. But at night a person doing the same thing is suspicious because there usually isn't any reason for someone to be around City Hall in the dark, after everyone else went home.

I have just begun caching and this is one of the hangups I have is looking for a cache in public places. So far, I have only hunted for two that were in the woods. The rest around me seem to be at or near public places. One (that I even attempted) even states "do not go at night" and "do not draw attention to yourself" but goes on to say there is plenty of parking. So does this mean the person who placed the cache didn't check with the business owner?

I will say that you do pay less attention when someone is with you but I want to be able to geocache whenever I want even if that means by myself.

The mention of using stealth is sometimes because of permission issues, but it's usually because there are muggles about at the location. Not that you're doing anything wrong and trying not to get caught, it's really about protecting the cache. If someone sees you reach into a bush and remove or replace a container, they're darn well going to be curious about it. They may just shrug it off, or they may go retrieve the container to see what it is. If they do, they may just examine it, read the stash note that was hopefully included, say "oh, that's cool" and replace it as found. OR, they may be one of those jerks who just can't leave well enough alone and steal or vandalize the cache just to be an a**. It happens. So we try to protect the cache as best we can. Sometimes you just have to judge the muggle activity and get a feel for whether they're to busy to notice you, mature enough to probably leave the cache alone, or likely to mess with it. It's profiling, in a way, but so what?

I bring my 7 yr old son along geocaching. Having a kid poking around someplace, while you are pretending to look at your phone does wonders for hiding in plain sight. For the geocaches that are near parking lots, I tend to park my car in a blocking fashion. I sit there for a bit, looking from my car. Then when the coast is relatively clear, I go for the grab. =)

But the best trick is to sit there pretending to look at your phone, or even talk on your phone while you look around casually.

I once laid down under a tree where a geocache was. The location was next to a very busy intersection. Someone spotting me, may have been more jealous than curious. =)

On the other hand there are simply poorly placed geocaches. One in my area is a lamp post skirt one, across the street from the front doors of a library. The circulation desk has a clear view of the location. UGH

this is actually one of the many things I like about geocaching

having a legal reason to sneak arround at locations I got no normal excuse to be at :-)

if you feel something, great, now reverse it into excitement and joy,

and try to be cool..

The first cache that we went for, we had to go through two fields of corn and a short stretch of woods. Obviously, not knowing who owned the property, we were a little nervous but it was really fun at the same time. Without my GPS in hand, I'd never just go walking on someone's property but now it feel like I have free reign (within reason, of course!)

I'm not a fan of caches in spots that can draw attention. BUT next time you are driving and see someone along side the road see how long you can pay them attention. A few seconds? Most drivers will never notice anything. Now if it's in a parking lot or a street corner where people are stopped then yes it takes some skill. Sunday morning is usually really quiet. Nights are also good for these. As I've gained experience I have worried less and less about what others see and think.

this is actually one of the many things I like about geocaching

having a legal reason to sneak arround at locations I got no normal excuse to be at :-)

if you feel something, great, now reverse it into excitement and joy,

You realize that geocaching doesn't give you a legal reason to be somewhere you otherwise shouldn't be?

OP: Over time you will become more comfortable while geocaching and realize no one is paying any attention to you, no matter how much you feel they are. And while protecting a cache's location is important, you should never feel that geocaching is an illegitimate activity or something that you should be ashamed of.

I was self conscious the first handful of times , but after reading posts in the forums, etc , I got over it. I mean, I am aware of my surroundings but I don't worry about trying to be " stealthy" . my last stealthy move was waiting for a guy to carry his 12 pack of beer allllll the way across the very large mall parking lot before i got out of my car to grab a LPC. ( while on a lunch break from my work's inservice. ) :D

I much prefer caches in wilderness type areas, like along hiking trails. My husband likes to do any types, but I get embarrassed when we're searching around parking lots and high traffic areas, and I think we just look suspicious!!

I get through it by feeling indignant towards muggles, as if what I am doing is perfectly normal and to consider me strange is completely foolish. I haven't been confronted by a muggle, so I haven't actually had to be indignant to them, but it's the mentality that what you are doing isn't just acceptable, or right, but it's what you and everyone else should be doing that makes it easy to do publicly. I wouldn't be ashamed (rather the opposite) if a friend knew I geocached, so I would never feel embarrassed around complete strangers either.

We've been doing this for five years and I still feel awkward sometimes. Usually it means that someone didn't really pick a good spot for a cache.

There's an oft-quoted saying on these boards, if the cache says "stealth required," many times it means it's not in a good spot in the first place (and often hidden without permission to boot).

I try to be stealthy at all times, and I try to avoid caches that are in public. But there's some caches you just can't help but stick out when you're getting them. I've yet to find a lamp post skirt that doesn't holler like a banshee in heat when I lift it up. I try to avoid them, but the last couple I've found have been finals for challenge caches or wherigos so I didn't see them coming.

Just because it is oft quoted, that does not make it valid. If'n you don't like seeking caches in places where stealth is required, by all means go find some in the woods. But do not infer that all caches where stealth is required 'are not in a good spot'. I can take you to some spectacular views, where there are a lot of muggles. (Of course, some people do not like views of 'that dirty city across the river'. They are invited to hunt for my caches with a few miles hike in the woods.)

While it might be true that many caches warning about the need for stealth may not be in interesting places, that does not make it true for all caches with stealth suggested.

Have you ever wondered what the helix leading to the Lincoln Tunnel looks like from the top of the Palisades in Weehawken, NJ? Come find my cache! But please use stealth. You may not enjoy the view, but many do. So, please do not tell me that it is not a good spot!

c8909b9a-2ac6-4e63-9d85-51c5aca310e9.jpg

I bring my 7 yr old son along geocaching. Having a kid poking around someplace, while you are pretending to look at your phone does wonders for hiding in plain sight. For the geocaches that are near parking lots, I tend to park my car in a blocking fashion. I sit there for a bit, looking from my car. Then when the coast is relatively clear, I go for the grab. =)

But the best trick is to sit there pretending to look at your phone, or even talk on your phone while you look around casually.

I always bring my dog, for the same reason. When I get those glances of 'what's that guy doing in the bushes off the trail?" I pretend to be checking my dog for thorns in the foot, ticks on the leg, etc. I immediately go from a suspicious looking old guy to a harmless sweetheart who dotes on his doggie.

And for the most part, I ignore caches in parking lots, lamp poles and the like. We focus on trails and parks where we can actually see something interesting along the way. This hobby has exposed me to DOZENS of little and not so little parks all within a 5 mile radius of my house that I did not know existed until a geocache sent me there.

Bringing a dog is a good way. Mine likes to sniff in odd places anyway and that's often exactly where the caches are. So you have a good excuse to stay there, letting the dog explore the area and take your time to look out for the container. Just be sure to not let it pee or more on the cache...

Meanwhile, if she knows we go caching, she gets excited and falls in geo-fever. Recently she even found the cache first, so I'm hoping the dog is a trained cache-finder soon. B)

Kids help as well to explain a bit, why you're inside a bush. Unless he/she tells you in loud voice in front of all muggles "No, I don't want to pee anymore!". Dogs don't say this.

But all in all I go with those that say, you're a lot more ignored than you believe. Just do your search in a confident way, like knowing what you're doing and they simply let you alone. They may wonder, but it's forgotten soon. Actually, it's fun to sit in a local bistro here, licking an ice and watching all the geocachers in "full stealth" looking for the nano with bad coordinates just in plain view from the restaurant. :D

At one time I had every cache in my area logged. Then things changed. Instead of ammo cans everything being placed was suddenly a micro. Instead of caches in places where it was easy to search the new caches were suddenly being placed downtown where there are a zillion people all around or in parking lots right in front of the front door and window of businesses. Some were being placed in residential areas where neighbors would wonder what the heck you were doing there.

As a result, there are now a LOT of geocaches in my area that I simply don't look for. It got to the point where I pretty much stopped geocaching in my home town because I just don't like to look for the majority of caches that are placed here anymore. Yes, there are some good caches still being placed but by now I'm out of the habit of even checking the new caches that come out because I just came to expect new caches here to be a micro in a place I didn't want to search. It's sad...

If you aren't comfortable searching for caches in high muggle areas then simply don't look for them. Try to find caches that you are comfortable searching for. As others have said, try parks and rural areas.

Most of the awkwardness is due to the foundless worry about muggles. I proudly wear my Geocaching t-shirt, wear my GPS around my neck, and am totally open about my activities. Acting in a suspicious manner in trying to avoid muggles is the best way to invite questioning. I have always wondered why people feel the need to avoid muggles. Most of the ones who have approached me are now geocachers themselves. I'd say let the muggles in, there is no need to hide your purpose or intentions. The odds are very slim that anyone is going to destroy or steal the cache. That seems to be a popular misconception, where most people are merely curious, and not by nature spiteful or criminal. This is why we include the "This is Geocaching" page in our caches, to invite everyone to join in. Once the muggle reads the page, they will invariably replace the cache, and head right to Geocaching.com for more information. Next thing you know, we have another member. So be ready to share with anyone and everyone the fun and excitement we all have doing this, and the awkward feeling goes away pretty quickly.

I use the "talking on my cell phone trick." It's a good excuse for leaning against a lamp post (the good ol' LPC) or standing outside your vehicle while pacing back and forth.

I some times wear one of my old work high visability vest. People see them and think your there working. When your driving down the street at 35MPH or so, how many people do you pay attention to standing around.

I'm very similar, don't like attention on me while caching. If I drive by and it's just way to busy I disregard the cache all together. I'd much rather be out in the woods, which is why I started caching in the first place. A reason to get out and see/hike new areas. Plus I look suspicious as it is having both arms sleeved with tattoos lol. Always feel like people think I'm searching for a drug stash.

Cache's along a slow road or other 'kinda' busy areas I use the check my tires / pretend I'm looking at car damage thing lol.

Most of the awkwardness is due to the foundless worry about muggles. I proudly wear my Geocaching t-shirt, wear my GPS around my neck, and am totally open about my activities. Acting in a suspicious manner in trying to avoid muggles is the best way to invite questioning. I have always wondered why people feel the need to avoid muggles. Most of the ones who have approached me are now geocachers themselves. I'd say let the muggles in, there is no need to hide your purpose or intentions. The odds are very slim that anyone is going to destroy or steal the cache. That seems to be a popular misconception, where most people are merely curious, and not by nature spiteful or criminal. This is why we include the "This is Geocaching" page in our caches, to invite everyone to join in. Once the muggle reads the page, they will invariably replace the cache, and head right to Geocaching.com for more information. Next thing you know, we have another member. So be ready to share with anyone and everyone the fun and excitement we all have doing this, and the awkward feeling goes away pretty quickly.

This is how I feel about it! I am a little surprised to see so many people try to pretend they are doing something else. I only started two days ago but one of my finds was right by an apartment complex/street. A guy saw what I was doing and said "hey, are you geocaching? want a hint?" hah I guess it was a popular spot! If anyone were to ever ask me what I was doing, I would explain it to them. I think it is a really fun and great thing, why not share the enjoyment? I would feel more awkward and nervous if I was pretending to do something else.

I think many people feel nervous searching in a high muggle area because they don't want the cache to be muggled. IMHO if you put a cache in a location that has a lot of traffic then it will get muggled. If someone sees me find the cache in such an area and then they muggle it I really don't have much sympathy for the cache owner needing to replace it. Some like to put hides in high traffic areas so thinking that the seeker will need to be sneaky. I think they get some kind of enjoyment out of knowing this. Well I just go up and search for caches like this and pay no attention to the muggles. I don't go out of my way to draw attention to myself but at the same time I don't act all sneaky.

IMHO if there is something interesting in a high traffic area that I want to show other cachers I will make it a multi or mystery cache. I will find something in the interesting location that can be clue to the final less conspicuous cache location.

Edited by Geo Jedimeister

I prefer rural areas with no muggles around.

But I'm also OK with very busy areas with many people around - there it is generally easy to go unnoticed.

Where I really feel awkward is places which are relatively quiet, but there are a few muggles about. Especially if they are in their houses or gardens. Then people will look at you; they wonder what you are doing in that hedge near their house etc. With these if I feel too awkward I avoid them.

Use some spy tricks and dress the part. When I hid a cache recently, I threw on a bright orange vest and a camo hat and acted like I was a city worker installing a new electrical box on a telephone pole. I had permission from the nearby business, but I didn't want everyone else to see some guy doing something weird, so I played the part.

This is very funny to me, because I felt the same way tonight. My husband and I went on our first geocache hunt tonight. One was located in a neighborhood, one was at the entrance of a neighborhood, and one was hidden at the Kroger. We had our dogs with us, and I felt like this helped us seem like we were just a couple walking our dogs. A police officer did ride by while I was lifting up the skirt on the lamp post at Kroger. So much for being stealthy. Oh, well! Good luck with your hunting.