The worst hides ever

Dan2099

The ones that get me are the sign post caches. I hate them yet in my town urban caches are all you tend to find and they're always on the street signs...

If I'm 5m from a cache and there's a sign that's the first place I look.

Amen to that!!! Those are the new LPC in my neck of the woods. I could probably keep a streak up simply by checking stop signs randomly as I walk around town.

Then again, how do you explain the insane popularity, in just over one year, of a certain bar code sticker seeking game? :ph34r:

You can randomly open specific free weekly newspaper metal street corner boxes in my area, and usually find a keyholder in them. Not that I partake in the practice, but have hidden at least 3 caches parodying them. :huh:

This one isn't especially bad, but falls into the "I don't get it" category.

I was off on a short family vacation and stayed in at a hotel that was rather unique. The hotel is unusual enough that placing a cache there (with permission, of course) seemed probable and sure enough there was one on the property. The grounds upon which the hotel is located is nicely landscaped with a large pond close to the hotel. There is a nice pathway that follows the shoreline that goes past a beautiful willow tree near one of three gazebos along the pathway. Although it's close to a busy road, facing the opposite direction next to that gazebo provides a nice view of amish farmland. A bit further down the path there are two foot bridges over small landscaped waterfalls. The entrance to the trail is no more than about 75 feet from the parking lot. Guess where the cache is hidden? With all the possible nice spots on the property where a cache, even a regular sized cache, the cache was a micro (with a very wet log) stuck in a bush in one of the "islands" in the parking lot.

We have 400+ horrible hides here. It is called the London Loop. You drive telephone pole to telephone pole (about every 160m) to get a cache, a film canister in 90% of the cases. To quote Mr. Yuck:

" Pull the car over every 600 feet on a rural roadside? I'd rather douse myself in Gasoline, and light myself on fire. I'm in, as I was for the 45 or so I once found in Southern Ontario, still my only "power trail run". Identical containers, identically hidden (such as film canisters hanging in a tree), not interested. "

:laughing:

I like The London Loop. Seeing as it was intended to encourage biking and walking. I use it to get some exercise and it keeps me moving along much farther than I would if I just went for a walk. It's also a quick way to run up some caches and it's a good way to learn how to find micros.

I can't seem to find it now, but another time when this subject came up, somebody posted about finding a skirtlifter in a Walmart parking lot, where the container was an unpainted orange matchsafe, and the log was the receipt for it!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Too funny!

We are sorta new. 3 months and only 250 finds. We have found many poorly maintained caches. We do what we can with them. The worst to me are nanos and micros where one has 100s and perhaps 1000s of acres to hide something. I hate them. I'll hunt them if they are on the way to another but I ain't hiking into the woods for a micro.

Here here! Or is it hear hear?? Either way, I concur.

The worst for me was a 'front yard' cache that my wife decided to look for. I am not a fan of private property hides. Even if the description states that its ok with the property owner, to me it still feels weird. I sat in the car, reading another cache page as she stood on the sidewalk, poking around in the hedges in front of some house. It wasn't long before she attracted the attention of a neighbor, who approached and asked what she was doing. He wasn't unfriendly but was - concerned. She explained that she was geocaching and that the person living in the house was the one who placed it (as per the cache description). So the 'concerned' neighbor got the homeowner, who, knowing nothing about a cache in their front yard, also became concerned and came out to see what was going on. While that was taking place, my wife happened to find the cache. It was a disposable, plastic food container, cracked and missing the lid. Turned out that the person who had hid the cache had moved away over a year before and had basically abandoned the cache - even though they had a couple of other, active caches nearby. The new homeowner was not impressed and wanted my wife to take the cache with her, which she did. Needless to say, the situation ended with my wife embarrassed and two homeowners having a bad impression of that 'geocaching thing.' We threw what was left of the crappy container (no trackables) in the trash and left a 'needs archived' log.

Oh, that's just awful!!

Mine's about the same as a lot of you: baggies as containers, micros in the woods, micros in a pile of rocks, micros on the backs of stop signs, micros in a pile of micros...

Thanks, as always, for the entertainment!!