Caches for a three day festival

cookefam

A festival committee in our area approached us with an idea of placing three to five caches (containing swag of festival memorabilia, or clues on how to collect a large prize) just for the duration of the event. Being new(less than a year)and have yet to place a cache of our own, we are wondering if this is possible and how we would go about doing it.Any help is appreciated, and thank you.

You cant do it. At least you can't place caches just for an event. Guidelines state that caches should be placed for the long term-at least 3 months. If you were to make them permanent, then I see no issues with placing the caches as long as all guidelines are followed. You can click HERE and the page will tell you all of the cache placement guidelines. Now of course you would have already read the instructions and rules before you start asking questions right?

Edited by T.D.M.22

You cant do it. At least you can't place caches just for an event. Guidelines state that caches should be placed for the long term-at least 3 months. If you were to make them permanent, then I see no issues with placing the caches as long as all guidelines are followed. You can click HERE and the page will tell you all of the cache placement guidelines. Now of course you would have already read the instructions and rules before you start asking questions right?

If I knew the instructions and rules, I wouldn't have asked the question on a "How To" forum, now would I. But I'm terribly sorry to take up your time and energy by forcing you to reply. Thanks again.

A festival committee in our area approached us with an idea of placing three to five caches (containing swag of festival memorabilia, or clues on how to collect a large prize) just for the duration of the event. Being new(less than a year)and have yet to place a cache of our own, we are wondering if this is possible and how we would go about doing it.Any help is appreciated, and thank you.

Hi cookefam,

You can always place temporary caches that are not registered on Geocaching.com. Just print the coordinates on a piece of paper and hand them out. Then you can place them as close as you want, without the 161 metre rule. This is often done at events to allow cachers to practice their skills within a short walking distance. Create different sizes and containers to make it more fun.

This is a great way to introduce muggles to geocaching!

mwellman from Alberta

Hi cookefam,

You can always place temporary caches that are not registered on Geocaching.com. Just print the coordinates on a piece of paper and hand them out. Then you can place them as close as you want, without the 161 metre rule. This is often done at events to allow cachers to practice their skills within a short walking distance. Create different sizes and containers to make it more fun.

This is a great way to introduce muggles to geocaching!

mwellman from Alberta

Thanks mwellman;

This would work for us. We knew about the distance rule, but wasn't sure if the temporary caches would be in violation. Thanks again.