Hybrid Multi/Event cache.

Arctikkat

I need some advice. I've decided that I'm going to throw an Event cache, but I want to make it a challenge by putting together a 5 stage multi cache with the coordinates of the event being at the last stage. When I attempt to create a new cache I can only choose between a multi, or an event. Not both. Any suggestions?

I need some advice. I've decided that I'm going to throw an Event cache, but I want to make it a challenge by putting together a 5 stage multi cache with the coordinates of the event being at the last stage. When I attempt to create a new cache I can only choose between a multi, or an event. Not both. Any suggestions?

I really have to wonder why. Events by their very nature are designed to be inclusive, not exclusive. While some would love the idea, most would not.

Locally, we have had some day long scavenger hunt type events, but the actual "event" itself was before the hunt and was open to everyone, regardless of their ability to participate in the scavenger hunt.

Make a separate multi and find some way to reward those that completed it. Hold a raffle and give them extra tickets, or print up certificates or something. In my opinion, making the event for only those that complete the multi really wouldn't be in the spirit of what an event is supposed to be.

hmmm, food for thought. Thanks for the advice. My thought was that I would create a multi cache that would be available over the next couple of months for Geocachers to locate with the understanding that the completion of the multi would be an invitation to attend the event that I will be hosting in August. I'm a little confused how this could be considered excluding people, anyone who takes the time to complete the multi over the next 2 months is welcome to attend and bring any guests they like.

From what I can understand given what you've all stated, it would be a breach of etiquette if I were to create a multicache with an invite to an event as a completion prize. Am I understanding this correctly? I just thought it would be a fun way for geocachers to come to a BBQ and get to know one another in my area.

Edited by Arctikkat

From what I can understand given what you've all stated, it would be a breach of etiquette if I were to create a multicache with an invite to an event as a completion prize. Am I understanding this correctly?

It would be against the Guidelines, as the moderator/reviewer Keystone has already stated.

Guidelines for specific types

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It would be against the Guidelines, as the moderator/reviewer Keystone has already stated.

Funny, I can't see anywhere in Keystone's post where the Guidelines are mentioned.

Is this the section you mean?

5. Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers. They are submitted at least two weeks prior to the event so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make plans. Events are published no more than three months prior to the event date. Events may be published up to six months prior if an overnight stay is expected or if the event is designed to attract a regional or international group of cachers.

For caching events with several elements, multiple event listings may be submitted if each element stands on its own merits as an event, and meets the listing guidelines. After an event has passed, the listing is archived by the cache owner.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events.

Cache owners can include basic information about the location on the cache page, even if it is a commercial location. Event caches, like other geocaches, cannot be published if they do not meet the commercial cache guideline. Additionally, Groundspeak reserves the right to deny or retract publication of events sponsored by other commercial geocache listing services unless written permission has been granted by Groundspeak.

I don't see anything in there prohibiting the use of a multicache that has an event as the final find.

I think what I will do instead then is create an event cache for the BBQ, but also create a multi cache and have a draw prize for anyone who completes the terms of the multicache. That should be within the guidelines and etiquette, yes?

Edited by Arctikkat