Garmin GPSMAP 62sc crashing on disconnnect

I just got a Garmin GPSMAP 62sc and updated it to the latest firmware. Every time I eject the disk from the desktop on my Mac and then disconnect the 62sc from the computer, it shuts down and the starts to power back up but just sits at the Garmin logo forever. I have to pull the batteries and put them back in, then I can power up and it seems to be fine. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edited by crunc

Mine has actually not done this for a while, but I don't have any exact answers as to why. It might because mine has a problem that when there is a MicroSD card installed, then when I eject the card and GPS from my desktop (I'm on a Mac), after 4 or 5 seconds they remount, so I have gotten use to ejecting them, waiting until they remount (this way I'm sure all data is written out), then eject again, wait a second, and then quickly disconnect the cable before they remount again. Maybe this letting it remount has actually helped? Or maybe it was fixed by installing a MicroSD card. I don't know.

I have heard that some garmin units have issues with the various files that Macs leave around (Mac dust) that are normally hidden from view of Mac users. My recollection is that there are free and non-free software packages that can help clean up the files. I'm not a Mac user and have no experience with these issues so good luck.

Mine has actually not done this for a while, but I don't have any exact answers as to why. It might because mine has a problem that when there is a MicroSD card installed, then when I eject the card and GPS from my desktop (I'm on a Mac), after 4 or 5 seconds they remount, so I have gotten use to ejecting them, waiting until they remount (this way I'm sure all data is written out), then eject again, wait a second, and then quickly disconnect the cable before they remount again. Maybe this letting it remount has actually helped? Or maybe it was fixed by installing a MicroSD card. I don't know.

Tried with and without MicroSD card and with and without (single and double) eject now. Makes no difference. After disconnecting the USB cable the unit removes the USB logo from the screen but does not shut off or restart.

Edited by dgronjord
Tried with and without MicroSD card and with and without (single and double) eject now. Makes no difference. After disconnecting the USB cable the unit removes the USB logo from the screen but does not shut off or restart.

That is a little different from what I was experiencing. It *would* reset, but it would never finish starting up. It got partway and then would get stuck. The other thing I started doing differently, but again I don't really know what fixed it, is when I disconnect I disconnect the cable from the computer, and then disconnect it from the GPS. Yeah, more black magic. :) In any case I haven't had the problem for a while now.

GPSMAP 62stc here with windows 7 operation system on 3 differnet laptops, no sd card, same thing. Meaning gps will try and reboot after disconnecting the usb cable but freezes on the garmin logo. For what its worth my other garmin just shuts off after disconnecting the usb cable, it doesn't try and reboot. I contacted garmin support and the gent was like no have not heard of that problem. I politely asked if he would mind trying it on his computer at the support center. After a few minutes I could here a befuddled huh? I said let me guess it just froze on you right. We both got a good chuckle out of it. Supports aware of it now and last I heard they are working on a fix. Luckily mine froze up new right out of the box, so I returned it for a refund until the bugs can get worked out of it. I constantly use the usb on mine and it was a major pain in the rear removing the batteries to get a fresh start. Hopefully a new update will be out to fix this problem. It's definetly not just a MAC issue.

GPSMAP 62stc here with windows 7 operation system on 3 differnet laptops, no sd card, same thing. Meaning gps will try and reboot after disconnecting the usb cable but freezes on the garmin logo. For what its worth my other garmin just shuts off after disconnecting the usb cable, it doesn't try and reboot. I contacted garmin support and the gent was like no have not heard of that problem. I politely asked if he would mind trying it on his computer at the support center. After a few minutes I could here a befuddled huh? I said let me guess it just froze on you right. We both got a good chuckle out of it. Supports aware of it now and last I heard they are working on a fix. Luckily mine froze up new right out of the box, so I returned it for a refund until the bugs can get worked out of it. I constantly use the usb on mine and it was a major pain in the rear removing the batteries to get a fresh start. Hopefully a new update will be out to fix this problem. It's definetly not just a MAC issue.

I'm not sure what solved the problem but my 62stc does not hang after USB disconnect anymore. And the problem was gone before the last firmware update.

Learn how to do a user reset on the 62(st). Hold down page and enter when you power back up. This will cause it to lose some settings, but profiles will remain intact... but it will also rescan the gpx file so you can usually recover from a freeze.

The Oregons and 62s (more infrequently, the Montana and I have no idea about the Dakotas) suffer from a bug where now and again the unit will freeze on loading new gpx files into memory especially if they are large and have the same name as the older file. good practice is to delete the gpx file, reboot, then load on the gpx files.

Edited by Maingray