Idea:- Best Kept Village

"A best kept village is a village that has won an annual competition (usually on a county basis) in the UK for its tidiness, appropriateness and typicality." - from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_kept_village)

Would this fit into wm nicely??

Requirements -

NAME YEAR - Place, Town, State, Country.

eg:- 1985 - Sanford, Devon, Avon, England

PLAQUE/SIGN as the waymark image and its location is the WM, no plaque no WM.

Secondary image of area and lots more as a request (as it is likely to be nice to look at)

DESCRIPTION of why you think this place got the award, why is it so nice here?

YEAR (S) if it has won multiple times, then you can list once, and note the years as one WM, use the most recent date in the title, then lit the rest in the description.

(more obviously to come)

any ideas??

N!TR0 out. :-D

Edited by N!TR0

Actually it's a *.*

:laughing:

Sorry, made a comment, and decided it wasn't relevant, so edited it out.

Wonder if there's enough Best Kept... around the world, to make a category?

That was a consideration, I know the UK an US have them, anywhere else in the world have it?

Switzerland has the "Wakker prize". Starting 1972 it is awarded annually by the Swiss Heritage Society to a Municipality of Switzerland for the development and preservation of its architectural heritage.

As far as I know there is no plaque, so I am not in favour of a marker requirement.

Edited by fi67

Australia has its annual tidy towns competition and there are multiple categories every year depending on the size of the town.

I would volunteer for this as a category and would be in favour of rules that would allow other achievements to be listed even if a plaque is not in the town a referance to the competition or method of how the best kept or best

Switzerland has the "Wakker prize". Starting 1972 it is awarded annually by the Swiss Heritage Society to a Municipality of Switzerland for the development and preservation of its architectural heritage.

As far as I know there is no plaque, so I am not in favour of a marker requirement.

this could all work if the information is available.

There is an existing Best Kept Village waymark that was posted under UK History Markers. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBE8X_Wentworth_Best_Kept_Village_Sign_Rotherham_South_Yorkshire

In my experience villages that win these competitions are traditional villages with a community spirit. They are often interesting places and well worth a visit.

I can confirm that Wentworth is well worth a visit, regardless of whether it's a year when they have won the competition or not.

Canada has Communities in Bloom but the criteria goes beyond just how tidy things are. I guess it would be akin to Switzerland's Wakker Prize.

In the UK there is 'Britain in Bloom' competitions... Part of this "Best Kept..." category or not?

I would say yes, it part of the same idea.

So, a village wins Best Kept, and an In Bloom (different years) 1 or 2 waymarks? :ph34r:

2? 1 for each, there will be 2 plaques...

Canada has Communities in Bloom but the criteria goes beyond just how tidy things are. I guess it would be akin to Switzerland's Wakker Prize.

In the UK there is 'Britain in Bloom' competitions... Part of this "Best Kept..." category or not?

So, a village wins Best Kept, and an In Bloom (different years) 1 or 2 waymarks? :ph34r:

Multiple awards = one waymark. simply list them all in the long description,

Not sure what would qualify here in the states. It seems we have several different programs depending on the state. I have seen "Star cities", "Tree city", "Governors Award". All I am sure have different qualification.

There's also the All American City designation.

Multiple awards = one waymark. simply list them all in the long description,

I would say you're Waymarking the plaque or sign, not just the village. The position of the sign is where you were when you found the plaque, or are visiting it.

If there are two different plaques in two different locations then I would say there are 2 available way marks. This the most likely situation if two different awards are won eg Britain in bloom and best kept village.

I have seen examples of a village winning 'best kept village' twice and the original sign was modified with the second date awarded so in this case there would only be 1 waymark

In my opinion you are Waymarking the village, not the sign. The sign is just the proof that the village is a viable candidate for the category, but the main thing is the village. From this point of view only one waymark per village is reasonable. Of course, the sign should be included in the gallery and it is an obvious location to choose as the waymark coordinates.

In my opinion you are Waymarking the village, not the sign. The sign is just the proof that the village is a viable candidate for the category, but the main thing is the village. From this point of view only one waymark per village is reasonable. Of course, the sign should be included in the gallery and it is an obvious location to choose as the waymark coordinates.

But if there are 2 plaques in entirely different locations how do you decide which plaque is the more important from the point of view choosing the co-ordinates to use. Or if it's the village that's being way marked then how would you decide whereabouts in the village you would pick the co-ordinates?

You are right, I am aware of these questions. There are other categories that sometimes cover large areas like World Heritage Sites, Glaciers or Natural Lakes and they are doing well.

I think the waymarker was there, took pictures explored the area and can be considered to be intelligent enough to choose the best location if there is no plaque at all or some at different locations.

This is just my personal opinion and I have no problem when the group decides to go another route. My initial thought was: " You are visiting one the officially most beautiful villages in the country and all you are doing is looking for a small piece of bronze. C'mon!"

But if there are 2 plaques in entirely different locations how do you decide which plaque is the more important from the point of view choosing the co-ordinates to use. Or if it's the village that's being way marked then how would you decide whereabouts in the village you would pick the co-ordinates?

Thats why I was considering simply the most recent one, makes it more straight forward.

The two designations I see the most often are the All America City award (about a dozen cities awarded in 2012) and Tree City USA. These are both quite different from each other and from Best Kept Villages in concept. Probably each of them would make good categories in their own right. Although I'm generally in favor of expanding categories to include all countries, I think these are all to dissimilar to group together. It is another instance where I think county-specific categories are the best approach.