How can I make a Scuba cache?

BLACKWATER77

Hello everyone,

I recently began geocaching and I am hooked.I am an Open Water dive instructor. I tried to find "scubacaches" in my area "Broward County, South Florida" but there are none. I'm thinking about starting a scubacache series here in SoFlo and I need some help. I was hoping that I could get some suggestions as to what to use as a cache, log book and what to use to write. Any suggestions you all have are greatly appreciated.

Stay safe and keep on caching. B)

Edited by BLACKWATER77

I'm planning to set up a scuba cache next week. This is how I plan to set it.

A water tight lock 'n lock will be tied to a brick with a 5 foot string and sunk at the coordinates, since the box will be positively bouyant, it will float 5 feet off the bottom of the lake. Attached to the brick will be a reel of string and an inflatable floatation device. The diver will inflate the device which will float to the surface with the reel string attached. Once at the surface the diver can continue diving for as long as he or she desires. Once the dive is complete and the diver is on the surface and on the boat he can go to the floatation device and pull the geocache. brick and all to the surface. When he signs the log and such he deflates the flotation device, rolls up the reel of string, courteously replaces everything as he found it, then just sets the brick and geocache into the water to sink back to the bottom at the same coordinates.

That way he doesn't have to do a second dive to replace the cache.

I've found submerged ammo cans that were completely dry inside. However, if anything (like a plastic bag) gets caught in the lid when it is closed, then it will wick water into the container when it is resubmerged.

Another approach I've seen discussed (but haven't seen in person) is to use a long container that opens at one end, and to weight/secure it so that end is the one that is pointed down. The air pressure in the container keeps water out.

Another approach is to submerge something with information on it, and to use that information to find the final stage of a multi-cache (which is hidden on dry land).