What to do if you find cannabis plants

Hi while cross country caching and taking short cuts where possibly i would not normally go i have come across these twice, i just smile and go for the cache and forget them, but i seem to be able to walk faster and jump up for high caches for days after that, :D jeff=bones1.

While attempting a 4.5 difficulty rated cache a few days ago, which entailed battling through dense undergrowth, of brambles, thorny trees and nettles, I came across at least 12 cannabis plants being cultivated in a small clearing.

My questions are,

1. What would you do if you came across them?

I would get the heck out of there as fast as possible, in case the gardener(s) was not amenable to visitors.

I would also email the cache owner and let him/her know about your discovery. The cache owner might want to archive the cache, or at least disable it until after the harvest. Or until the police have done their thing, once it's been reported to them by a concerned citizen.

2. What should I do?

Whatever you think is right.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

A cacher found a tupperware of cocaine a few feet below one of my caches. He told the police, I disabled the cache, and some weeks later when I thought it would be OK to replace the cache, I was surprised to find that my cache was still there, and intact.

1. What would you do if you came across them?

With that small amount I would carry on to the cache, and sign the log! No serious grower would keep them in public. :blink:

2. What should I do?

How about shouting about it in a public forum just in case the grower hears that you found the stash <_<

Too late now, you should have done something immediately if you were going to do anything.

I moved in to a house once with growlights and plastic sheeting in the loft. It was a bit of a bargain, the owners wanted a quick sale...

In the UK in 2012, I'd be surprised, the weather hasn't been anywhere near warm enough.

There aren't a lot of places you can't grow modern "varieties" in the UK nowadays.....

12 plants isn't a lot though, is it. Definitely not a professional grow. Sounds like somebody's personal plants. I'd just walk on by TBH

I might let the police or CrimeStoppers know the co-ords and let them decide if it's a problem or not. No need to give your name to CrimeStoppers if you don't want to, and a free call from a phone box... Just because it's someone's 'personal supply' that doesn't stop kids stumbling across it as the OP did and who knows where that could lead. Depression, paranoia and serious long term mental health problems - even suicide - if you believe those so-called 'doctors' and 'experts'. As you should.

In the UK in 2012, I'd be surprised, the weather hasn't been anywhere near warm enough.

There aren't a lot of places you can't grow modern "varieties" in the UK nowadays.....

12 plants isn't a lot though, is it. Definitely not a professional grow. Sounds like somebody's personal plants. I'd just walk on by TBH

Exactly. In a town near where we used to live, there's been several hauls of millions of plants. A green house (or field) full of them, I would call the police. A dozen or so plants, I would ignore. I used to know someone with MS who grew her own plants to self medicate (it eased some of the symptoms). If she could have bought properly regulated medicinal cannabis/pot (or whatever) she would have done, but as it's illegal, the only way she could have it was to grow her own and self medicate. Not ideal, but that's the way the law is. Personally, I consider it wasting police time to report someone like that.

I'd agree it's not a professional, chances are it's someone who figured it might be a laugh to see if they could get away with it.

If they bother you then destroy them. If the gardener sees you ripping them up they'll be annoyed but you're far more likely to be dealing with an angry teenager than a professional criminal, so if that chance is more than you're comfortable with then push through them and trample them so you can claim you didn't realise what they were. Either that or just ignore them.

From a professional point of view - note location, leave alone, walk by and when back at home ring 101, report to the Police, for which you will be thanked as a responsible citizen, and let them decide what to do. Whatever the reason, it's illegal, let the law keepers deal with it. Cheers.

Happy caching, Stucuk ..

This reminds me of a gardening show years ago where they used to do a 'roadshow' thing where people could take plants along. One woman turned up with a thing in a pot that she'd dug out of the garden but couldn't find in here gardening books so she wanted to know if they could identify it for her, it was a Cannabis plant :rolleyes: I expect her teenage kids were in for a shock when she got home!

It could be self-seeded hemp blown in from a farm some miles away.

Not in plastic pots with a water supply

Well there have been well documented incidents of it raining fish or frogs, and we have had some pretty weird weather recently....

Or maybe they were fake cannabis plants with a cache hidden in one of the pots?