looking to buy gps

Guest cyclops_monkey

Guest cyclops_monkey

Im looking to buy a gps

I am a new member to geo Caching and i have not a clue on what to look for in a gps?????

What are some good kinds of gps???

How much should i pay???

And so forth

Thanks

Good luck picking one. I would suggest doing lots of reading. Check out the Unit and Software forum on this board. Figure out what you are going to do with your GPS other than geocaching. There are hiking unit, aviation, auto, and marine specific GPS units out there. I would go to Garmin and Magellan?s web sites and download the manuals for a few unit you are interested in and read up on what they are capable of. There are a lot of opinions on what make a good GPS, but what is most important is that it has the features you want. That is probable that hardest part, determining what is important to you. There is lots of good info at http://joe.mehaffey.com/ this web site is probable the most comprehensive GPS web site going.

Good luck and enjoy icon_biggrin.gif

mcb

Good luck picking one. I would suggest doing lots of reading. Check out the Unit and Software forum on this board. Figure out what you are going to do with your GPS other than geocaching. There are hiking unit, aviation, auto, and marine specific GPS units out there. I would go to Garmin and Magellan?s web sites and download the manuals for a few unit you are interested in and read up on what they are capable of. There are a lot of opinions on what make a good GPS, but what is most important is that it has the features you want. That is probable that hardest part, determining what is important to you. There is lots of good info at http://joe.mehaffey.com/ this web site is probable the most comprehensive GPS web site going.

Good luck and enjoy icon_biggrin.gif

mcb

Holy cow! If you're interested in just going caching, I wouldn't expect you'd have to pay more than $200 for a GPS to do that. I bought an eTrex Venture for $140 at a boat show a few weeks ago. The base (yellow) eTrex is like $99, but obviously not as feature rich.

I'd read up on things a bit and also visit some boating stores. I like to hold stuff like this before I buy it.

Lets see.....

Jeep Wrangler....$10,000

Offroad Improvements to Jeep $5,000

Garmin 3+ Factory Recond. $200

Compac Laptop (for livetracking) $1200

software (topo maps, Expert GPS etc) $250

Desktop PC ( geocaching.com access) $1800

Misc Supplies ( trinkets, ammo cans etc)$100

I wouldnt spend more than that....

In Reality you can started for less than $200 easy.

Just watch out for the upgrades! LOL

quote:
Originally posted by JeepNAz:

Lets see.....

Jeep Wrangler....$10,000

Offroad Improvements to Jeep $5,000

Garmin 3+ Factory Recond. $200

Compac Laptop (for livetracking) $1200

software (topo maps, Expert GPS etc) $250

Desktop PC ( geocaching.com access) $1800

Misc Supplies ( trinkets, ammo cans etc)$100

I wouldnt spend more than that....

In Reality you can started for less than $200 easy.

Just watch out for the upgrades! LOL

dadgum, I'm on a different track, but a similar path.

Garmin GPS V 402.00

75 GMC Jimmy (seats 5 unlike a Jeep) 500.00

92 Bronco 4200.00 (Cause the Jimmy needs a LOT of work. and the family can't wait)

Desktop PC 1200.00 (made it myself and after a year it actually works, of course after the year I could of made the same thing for 600)

I'm out of bucks but the wish list is the same.'

Topo software,

Laptop for live tracking and topo software.

Palm PC for on foot live tracking.

As for the offroad improvments those go on the Jimmy and the only thing that will remain will be the serial number and the full convertible top.