I'm at the point I think all Virtual caches should be archived.

Hi Downy288.

I am the adoptive owner of that cache.

I didn't think Virtuals could be adopted out.

Two sentences after the one you quoted...

I agreed to take care of it for him and Groundspeak gave us written permission for this to happen.

Apparently Groundspeak will make an exception. In this case, the location is so closely related to the game of geocaching that it just asks for a cache to be located there.

I guess I just don't agree with making the exception then.

It's why they call them guidelines and not rules or laws.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with them making the exception.

Will every Virtual that someone thinks is "closely related to geocaching" get the same thoughtful going over to see if should be allowed to be adopted?

Probably not. I think this one was a business decision. Considering the location. Anymore talk about that, and I'll end up with a bunch of armchair logs, so let's just leave it at that, OK?

And we can't all agree with how things are done. (like driving all the way to another state, with a handful of kids to a pig roast, to find out there is no pig. We had fun, but I had a bunch of disappointed hungry people with me that day, just saying, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I still enjoyed the event.)

(like driving all the way to another state, with a handful of kids to a pig roast, to find out there is no pig. We had fun, but I had a bunch of disappointed hungry people with me that day, just saying, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I still enjoyed the event.)

Not sure what this has to do with the discussion at hand.

I think the name "Virtual" is associated with a different experience (meaning) for todays computer users. I wonder if any of them get that they have to actually visit. I think they don't. May be adding to the confusion.

I had a new cacher tell me that there was this type of cache (Virtual) that you could log online without having to leave the house. Told me it was excellent for keeping a streak alive. I didn't have the heart to explain it to them. I just said " I hope that works out for ya".:blink:

And why would you not explain it to them? If they are a new cacher, they might appreciate someone straighting them out on it.

While I would not spend any time trying to argue with someone who insists on doing this, I would not hesitate to try to inform someone of the proper way to log a virtual.

Edited to note that OP is quoting 6-year-old logs! That situation was handled 4 years ago!

Hmmmmm. Wonder what the real issue is that brought the OP to the forums. <_<

Well I must say that gets my interest. I came to see a train wreck and this thread is a bit of a let down.

Gotta love the I don't like this so everyone outta the pool mentality of the OP. It's just usually more entertaining at this point. Oh well. :rolleyes:

(like driving all the way to another state, with a handful of kids to a pig roast, to find out there is no pig. We had fun, but I had a bunch of disappointed hungry people with me that day, just saying, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I still enjoyed the event.)

That I can't make everyone happy. I can only please some of the people some of the time. I can't make everyone happy. But the people that find this virtual seem to enjoy it immensely. Maybe I was just feeling a little defensive. I'm sorry.

It's been a very bad week for my virtuals. I own 5 non-physical caches and average at least one fake log a day. This week I've gotten over 200 fake logs and bogus emails! Someone from a well-known problem country got the answers and posted them on their local forum, but got one wrong! I got over 100 emails the first day!

I posted that sample to show what a virtual would look like if logs weren't deleted, not that only one cache is a problem.

I've always been vocal about my view on the state of virtuals - This "Limbo" is silly, either bring them back or be done with them!

I've posted my thoughts on how to bring them back in a way that would work fine and never even got a reply in the forums. Imagine Virtuals as Earthcaches, only for historical or educational locations. That would weed out the poor locations without the "WOW Factor" problems. The local reviewer would only need to check that the description teaches something and there's a question that requires interacting with the location (counting, measuring, etc.) It's not a perfect solution but I think over 80% of the ones I've seen would pass with only minor changes.

EDIT: I know they are all fake because of that one answer. the true answer is 149 or 151 depending on what sign you read, but every email had it listed as 173!

Edited by Downy288

It's been a very bad week for my virtuals. I own 5 non-physical caches and average at least one fake log a day. This week I've gotten over 200 fake logs and bogus emails! Someone from a well-known problem country got the answers and posted them on their local forum, but got one wrong! I got over 100 emails the first day!

I posted that sample to show what a virtual would look like if logs weren't deleted, not that only one cache is a problem.

It probably would have been more effective to have copy/pasted the 200 fake logs you got on your own virtual in order to make that point. You probably would have received more sympathy for your plight.

I've always been vocal about my view on the state of virtuals - This "Limbo" is silly, either bring them back or be done with them!

I understand that as a owner of a virtual, that arm chair logs have caused you a lot of grief, but if you're not enjoying owning a virtual (or any cache) it seems to me that there is a simple solution; archive your cache.

Groundspeak has explicitly stated that they're not coming back. Getting rid of all of them penalizes those that enjoy finding them and have the integrity to log them correctly. Some virtual cache owners may not be having the same problems that you have and enjoy the legitimate logs they received. Archiving all virtual caches penalizes other cache owners as well. Archive your own cache if you'd like but why penalize everyone that actually finds them and legitimately meets the criteria to post a found it log?

I've posted my thoughts on how to bring them back in a way that would work fine and never even got a reply in the forums. Imagine Virtuals as Earthcaches, only for historical or educational locations. That would weed out the poor locations without the "WOW Factor" problems. The local reviewer would only need to check that the description teaches something and there's a question that requires interacting with the location (counting, measuring, etc.) It's not a perfect solution but I think over 80% of the ones I've seen would pass with only minor changes.

Out of curiosity, how do you define "educational"? Wouldn't it be safe to say that if someone submits a new "educational" virtual, they might have a different definition of "educational" than a reviewer? There have been a *lot* of suggestions for how virtuals could be brought back, including historical or educational virtuals and there *have* been a lot of comments about those suggestions. Of course, if you want a definitive answer, post a feature request in the Features Discussion forum.

Groundspeak has explicitly stated that they're not coming back.

Source please.

"Groundspeak has been hearing the calls to bring them back, but the problem was how to do it without bringing back all the problems that made them go away. They couldn't come back the same way. That is why Challenges were created."

link

They can't come back exactly as they were, but that doesn't mean they will not be brought back. (But no, they're not coming back)

Problem solved. GS did away with them and have stated they are not coming back.

They didn't do away with them. They grandfathered them and will not allow any new ones. Thus the limbo Downy speaks of.

Well that just ruins the entire thread now. All of the bogus logs are ancient, and the current owner is taking care of it okay. What the heck do I do with this popcorn? :D

I actually knew what cache it was from reading the OP. From the date of publishing until whenever the crack-down from Groundspeak was, that cache actually ENCOURAGED armchair finds. It was one of a handful that did. I'm sure people remember Four Windows at the North Pole? Torally designed to be armchair logged. I'll bet someone could find a copy of what the cache in the OP used to say at the Wayback Machine. But I'm totally OK with the OP using it as an "example", and his explanation of why.

Besides, I still haven't logged the virt I found in Kentucky over the weekend. So hold off on this mass archive thing until after I log my first and only Kentucky cache, k Groundspeak? :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Well that just ruins the entire thread now. All of the bogus logs are ancient, and the current owner is taking care of it okay. What the heck do I do with this popcorn? :D

I actually knew what cache it was from reading the OP. From the date of publishing until whenever the crack-down from Groundspeak was, that cache actually ENCOURAGED armchair finds. It was one of a handful that did. I'm sure people remember Four Windows at the North Pole? Torally designed to be armchair logged. I'll bet someone could find a copy of what the cache used to say at the Wayback Machine.

Here is a Nov. 2007 screenshot. It doesn't say what it is, but it does say

To claim credit for this cache, all you have to do is to tell me, by e-mail, what is at this location.

You don’t have to send a photo or anything else. You don’t even have to go there. If you can find this unique and magnificent object by use of the web. . . well, go for it. It is, however, worth a trip to find this one in person. You won’t be disappointed.

However, don’t post a hint or the description at this page. . . not even encrypted. E-mail me personally.

Also, it's odd but the way the page is currently worded seems to make cachers believe their log must be addressed "Greetings from.."

Also, it's odd but the way the page is currently worded seems to make cachers believe their log must be addressed "Greetings from.."

I saw that and wondered if that was the genesis for the "Greetings from Germany" logs. Can't help but think now that perhaps given the original text encouraging arm chair logs if maybe the Germans have a good excuse for the misunderstandings associating with arm chair logging. :huh:

They didn't do away with them. They grandfathered them and will not allow any new ones. Thus the limbo Downy speaks of.

I can't see where it is creating any type of "limbo".

If there is a virtual that is not being maintained properly, just like any other cache, post an NA. Again, problem solved without all this drama.

I saw that and wondered if that was the genesis for the "Greetings from Germany" logs. Can't help but think now that perhaps given the original text encouraging arm chair logs if maybe the Germans have a good excuse for the misunderstandings associating with arm chair logging. :huh:

Yes, was it the original genesis wording for the "Greetings from Germany" meme? hmmm.

They were listed for only 3 or 4 years, and have been disallowed for 7.

Waymarks were the first replacement, and then challenges. Yes, perhaps it's time..

weymarks were a failed experiment that are completely different and unrelated in anyway to caching and virtuals, it is a POI database much like Buxleys or the internet's version of your in-laws vacation slides. Challenges do come closer, however GS took them out of the overall count after about 3 days and control exists with GS as soon as published.

The majority of remaining virtuals are ones that would have passed the "Wow" test and are maintained. If not, it is the cachers that become aware of them and do not post an NA who are at fault. Just like people abuse the size designations, people abused the intent of virtuals while they were available. They became too much work for the reviewers and, while understandable, the unfortunate decision to end them was made rather than add to volunteer workloads. As the owner of a very popular virtual in Chicago, I can tell you that every attempt was made by both myself and the reviewer to make the cache a physical cache prior to going the virtual route. I also maintain ours on a regular basis and am sure many who have had logs deleted have removed my name from any Christmas list they may have had me on.

Sorry, as the OP presented it, grandfathered virtuals are not a problem.

Waymarks were a pretty good idea, implemented poorly. There are categories so you can ignore what you don't care about. The owners can enforce finds. There are volunteers to enforce a "WOW" factor. They've got everything Virtuals had, without some of the shortcomings.

Except they're on a completely different site. Finds don't appear alongside caches in your stats*. There are no Pocket Queries. No mobile app or API. You have to plod though the site, individually clicking on each and putting the interesting ones in a pile to go visit. You can't be spontaneous, grabbing a bunch of caches and Waymarks near a park you're going to, and deciding what to seek when you get there. There's no way to easily integrate them into a geocaching trip.

What a shame.

* not necessarily counted as finds as Virtuals were.

I find it funny you would quote that considering your caching handle....

Let's drop that. I'm sorry I wrote it.

I actually knew what cache it was from reading the OP. From the date of publishing until whenever the crack-down from Groundspeak was, that cache actually ENCOURAGED armchair finds. It was one of a handful that did. I'm sure people remember Four Windows at the North Pole? Torally designed to be armchair logged. I'll bet someone could find a copy of what the cache used to say at the Wayback Machine.

To claim credit for this cache, all you have to do is to tell me, by e-mail, what is at this location.

You don’t have to send a photo or anything else. You don’t even have to go there. If you can find this unique and magnificent object by use of the web. . . well, go for it. It is, however, worth a trip to find this one in person. You won’t be disappointed.

However, don’t post a hint or the description at this page. . . not even encrypted. E-mail me personally.

It asks that the log start with "Greetings from....". The requirements are an answer and a photo. I cut slack on the cacher or cacher's GPS being in the photo if they cache with a phone that is also their camera. Then a photo at the location will suffice. What's great about this cache is that the photos are always taken from a different angle, so it's always something new. I have such a huge collection now, it's a shame they can't all be on the cache page. It puts a lot faces to the name.

Let's drop that. I'm sorry I wrote it.

I meant no offense, just funny you spoke of eating pigs and his handle is the big bad wolf....sorry just my odd sense of humor

It asks that the log start with "Greetings from....". The requirements are an answer and a photo. I cut slack on the cacher or cacher's GPS being in the photo if they cache with a phone that is also their camera. Then a photo at the location will suffice. What's great about this cache is that the photos are always taken from a different angle, so it's always something new. I have such a huge collection now, it's a shame they can't all be on the cache page. It puts a lot faces to the name.

Couldn't you find something unique that requires someone to actually be present and use it for a verification question? It's a shame that those of us that will never be there can't enjoy the pictures as well. As far as the cat getting out of the bag, until this discussion, I had no idea that the cache, or the object even existed. 30 seconds in Google Street View gave me a blurry image of what the big draw is.

My guess? "Greetings from Germany" is a longstanding joke dating back to probably 2005 or so, when it became quite obvious armchair logging was a fad over there. I'm going to guess the cache owner got the hand slap email from Groundspeak, and Groundspeak made a reference to "Greetings from Germany" in it. The cache owner then took the ball and ran with it, and put the "greetings from" wording in there in protest. Just my zany theory though, take it or leave it. :lol:

Not going to read all the posts... I'm tired my eyes are blurry..

But you want to archive Virtuals because of armchair cachers or fake cachers?..

Well you might as well archive all caches because Virtuals are not the only caches this is happening to.

So if you don't like it then as others say "put them on your ignore list" and let the rest of us who care, do them.

As I said, I am not changing the cache page. The only thing I changed is where to send the answers. I believe in posterity, and since Groundspeak has said they are not bringing back virtuals as they were, can we please stop discussing this one cache. It's a great cache, has over 150 favorites, there are traditional caches to be found there, as well as a coin vault to discover, so people love it, and I am taking good care of it. I don't get as many bogus logs as Downy288 got on his, I"m sure it's happening on plenty where the owners are absent. If they are absent and not responding, I'd hate to lose virtuals that are left, but if the owner is gone, let the cache be gone.

Downy, maybe your page needs editing to make it stricter, I don't know, I haven't read it yet.

But I think I've said all I have to say about this one cache. It's not going anywhere, if I can help it.

what is the link to this one? I grew up in Maine- . I promise I won't post A log!! I just want to see if I know the location. (seriously , I won't post anything.

Planet has said she (I'm pretty sure they're a she) has adopted the cache. Look in Planet's profile. Yes, I'm making you work for it, just like you had to work for it when it was an armchair cache. :lol:

My guess? "Greetings from Germany" is a longstanding joke dating back to probably 2005 or so, when it became quite obvious armchair logging was a fad over there. I'm going to guess the cache owner got the hand slap email from Groundspeak, and Groundspeak made a reference to "Greetings from Germany" in it. The cache owner then took the ball and ran with it, and put the "greetings from" wording in there in protest. Just my zany theory though, take it or leave it. :lol:

I sometimes get "greetings from Germany" logs on my real caches. My first reaction is automatically that the log is bogus, but every time it happened it appeared that the log was legit and the person was actually vacationing in the US.

I sometimes get "greetings from Germany" logs on my real caches. My first reaction is automatically that the log is bogus, but every time it happened it appeared that the log was legit and the person was actually vacationing in the US.

Yeah, I see many "greetings from Germany" logs in Niagara Falls, and I believe I even have 2 or 3 for my Seaway Trail Geotrail cache in that City. I see many more of those logs for caches on the Canadian side though.

It's been my impression is that Germans tend to travel on vacations more than just about anyone.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

My opinion is that it's not a problem with virtuals, but rather a problem with absentee owners.

People armchair traditional caches too, but I don't see anyone calling for the archival of all traditionals.

I think this hits the nail on the head. I love Virtuals and would hate to see them archived completely. Sad that owners can't keep up with some of them.

I got a "greetings from Germany" DNF on my virtual. He forgot to bring the paper with him to the park. He was able to guess a few of the answers so I told him to log a find as he was honest about it.

I know not all German cachers fake it, but I always check their other finds for that day when I see it on my caches.

I did not read all the posts on this BUT Virtuals are our favorite cache types. When we travel the first thing I do is set up a route and then a PQ for virtuals. The only way to keep the fake logs out is to require something only available at the site. One other thing who cares about fakes there's no prise to gain and they have missed the real prise of "I was here".

I still feel that doing away with virtuals was the biggest mistake ever made, Waymarking (I found a Burger King) has way to many catagories.

I did not read all the posts on this BUT Virtuals are our favorite cache types. When we travel the first thing I do is set up a route and then a PQ for virtuals. The only way to keep the fake logs out is to require something only available at the site. One other thing who cares about fakes there's no prise to gain and they have missed the real prise of "I was here".

I still feel that doing away with virtuals was the biggest mistake ever made, Waymarking (I found a Burger King) has way to many catagories.

Be happy, just think you got challenges to take their place. :)

Be happy, just think you got challenges to take their place. :)

This is all crazy talk. I just listed 3 virtual caches this week! Except their all on an alternative website that still accepts them. Now will they ever be visited? I don't know, but now I know what it feels like to create a Waymark. :o

I do not really expect replies anymore when I log Virtuals. Sometimes I get a immediate response and that is wonderful. When I do a Virtual I simply log it as found and sent the answers to the CO. Some of my favorite caches have been virtuals. There is one about the Slaughter of the Elephant in Alfred Me., Another at Jordan Pond in Acadia National Park, and a most awesome 911 and firefighter memorial in Connecticut that we visited while traveling. When I travel we always look for nearby Earthcaches,Virtual,Old Caches and highly favorited caches that we can find. The Virtuals are a dying cache icon and we want to enjoy them while we can.

I know not all German cachers fake it, but I always check their other finds for that day when I see it on my caches.

That kind of cross-checking would certainly indict this "Grüße aus deutschland" log; I guess it won't get deleted 'cause the guy gave up a favorite point:

http://coord.info/GL7GXTZR

That was brutal, man. The English translation, I mean. The blatent admission of armchair logging a virt because of "illness" doesn't surprise me. :ph34r:

That kind of cross-checking would certainly indict this "Grüße aus deutschland" log; I guess it won't get deleted 'cause the guy gave up a favorite point:

http://coord.info/GL7GXTZR

That was brutal, man. The English translation, I mean. The blatent admission of armchair logging a virt because of "illness" doesn't surprise me. :ph34r:

I think the argument was rather that due to illness he could not go out and look for a local cache with a container. Some European virtuals have set up with the goal in mind that they offer an activity when one cannot leave one's home - some of them deal with places that cannot be visited even if one wants to.

The automatic translation also makes one believe that he states that he logs a find because the owner is not active (here) while from the German original it becomes clear that he chose that cache because the requirements of the owner are not strict. That's not the fault of virtual caches, but only of individual owners.

I do own a virtual myself and I answer every single mail with respect to that cache and I there does not exist a single armchair log for my quite complex virtual.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne