Trees a earthcaches.

Gyrocacher

Can a stand of trees that is on the list of National Natural Landmarks, or a State Champion Tree (largest type of tree in a state) be used as an earthcache? I haven't read anywhere that say you can't, but I haven't read anywhere that says you can. I'm thinking that if it can die, as living things do, it may not be allowed. But if it does, I'm guessing the earthcache can be archvied. Guess we'll find out.....

Trees are not allowed to be the basis of an EarthCache....if petrified perhaps. Unless you can provide evidence that the geology of the area is unique in such a way that is directly tied to the exceptional nature of the tree I'd say you are out of luck....

Yeah, I guess you're right. But there have been a lot of earthcaches published that make you wonder "now how did that get published". There is one I saw that basiclly talks about a dam. But the title has something to do with the water source leading to the dam. All the requirement question are asking about the dam. There is a dam very similar to the one published that lies in my area. But I don't want to go thru the trouble of making the listing just to have it denied. I have an ideal place to create an earthcache, but it's 45 miles from my home. I will get to it soon. I was just hoping to have one closer to my area. Any other ideas (besides what the site has listed)?

There are endless possibilities to get an EC published on fringe topics but you will need to learn how to spin the information...generally meaning you need to first do the geology work then include the aside information (such as information about a dam)...

So you are saying it's all in how you articulate it, huh? I gathered that from the "dam" earthcache. I am seriously giving this "dam" a try. Or should I say the water source to the dadgum. There are lots of natural springs in my area. Owners of the property attach pipes to these springs and have them flowing to a creek or a ditch to keep the spring from washing away the soil. But there is nothing to see or learn from anything like that.

Springs are a topic which will need to be fairly unique to be published....those and waterfalls are very overdone in the EC community and thus have a bit harder standards for getting published. And, yes some of getting an EC published is how you articulate your information.

Or should I say the water source to the dadgum.

:laughing:

... Owners of the property attach pipes to these springs and have them flowing to a creek or a ditch to keep the spring from washing away the soil. But there is nothing to see or learn from anything like that.

I've learnt something from that post!

As you've found, it depends how -and what- you write the description.

If you're uncertain about a topic then do contact your local Earthcache reviewer and ask what he thinks about a specific topic. You can find him by looking at the first log of an Earthcache published recently in your area.

You may want to approach the trees and or the springs from a soil science angle. Remember in the truest sense soil is nothing more than rock that couldn’t keep itself together… Perhaps the best way to understand the soils at your location [uS] would be to get soil survey reports, usually obtained thru an Agricultural Department [state or Federal]. Use the soils as the initial point of your EC and then work in the other elements of the Earth Sciences.

Getting a tree-centric EarthCache published would be VERY difficult. But, if the focus is clearly on earth science, and the listing meets the guidelines, it is possible.

The other advice posted here is very sound.

However, it might be easier to develop a different EarthCache altogether. I have definitely seem "champion" and "landmark" trees be submitted as an EarthCache, but end up not being published because the guidelines weren't able to be fulfilled.

Best wishes, and happy caching,

geoawarehq