Events during London Olympics?

Hi,

I will be in London for the 2nd half of the Olympic Games. It would be very nice to be able to meet up with locals or other visiting geocachers. Is anyone planning to set up any events? Wouldn't have to be a big one, just meet in a park, a restaurant or pub, to talk about geocaching and the games. I'm not sure I could do so myself, since I'm visiting from Norway, not knowing my exact schedule, or convenient places to meet. But I'd love to attend!

Hi,

I would love to attend the Geolympix, but unfortunately they are much earlier than my arrival. The real Olympics start only 27th, and personally I'll be in London from the 6th.

I was sad to read that many caches will be disabled. This means that I'll only be able to grab a few caches, if any. At the same time, I understand that security is top priority. The unavailability of many traditional caches is one of the reasons why I'm hoping to be able to attend an event during the actual games.

Hi,

I would love to attend the Geolympix, but unfortunately they are much earlier than my arrival. The real Olympics start only 27th, and personally I'll be in London from the 6th.

I was sad to read that many caches will be disabled. This means that I'll only be able to grab a few caches, if any. At the same time, I understand that security is top priority. The unavailability of many traditional caches is one of the reasons why I'm hoping to be able to attend an event during the actual games.

It's only caches that are within 1 mile (~1.5km) of the Olympic sites that are being disabled, so if you're going to be staying more than 1 mile away from the venues there might still be plenty of caches near your hotel.

I'm not aware of any events that have been organised yet but I wouldn't be surprised if someone organised something.

Is there any restrictions on organising event caches in the perimeters of the olympic fence? I'm sure there will be cachers who could meet and bag a cache that way?

I'm sure I read in one of the threads discussing the ban that virtuals, earthcaches and events won't be affected, only caches which have a physical container are going to be disabled.

Have a read of this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=296667