GPS DECISIONS

Please I need some help! I am using my Iphone now but I can't use my data all up so I need to get a GPS. Something that has the paperless and that routes you to the cache would be great! Also the less the price the better! Any opinions on what to get??

Thanks!!

HBRMOM81

ok i was looking at the magellan explorist GC, garmin dakota 10,

I had read that the etrex 20 came with no map and I would have to spend another 60-80 on maps once I bought it which isn't an option for me right now. I would like something that is good to go out of the box. Am I not correct about the map problem with the etrex 20?

I believe the eTrex 20 comes with base maps.... that is mostly just major highways, etc.... no topography and the like.

The '20 is better than the '10 in that it has a color screen, also it can use a (micro) SD card to hold more info..... the '10 has a grey-scale screen and you cannot increase the memory capacity. Free maps are available -- I am sure somebody will post a link or two.

Other option: Delorme PN-40. Comes with Topo 9 mapping (I think it has five disks) to load into your computer, wherein you can transfer explicit mapping to your GPSr. The PN-40 uses a standard-size SD card to increase capacity. Cache Register, a free download from Delorme, is a widget that allows super easy downloading/uploading between the unit and your computer -- no (manual) transferring of files, etc. as it does it all.

The minor downside to a PN-40 is that it really likes batteries -- it eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The PN-60 is a newer, upgraded PN-40. It holds even more info (caches, etc) and is nicer as far as battery life is concerned. Being newer however, raises the price a fair amount.

For routing, if you install the free Open Street Maps found here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

You'll be able to route to addresses as well as have most mapped streets and trails.

For memory space conservation, I'd recommend downloading the ones sectioned by longitude found here: http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/latest/

Read the "readme" files for installation instructions.

www.gpsfiledepot.com has all the maps you might need. Most are free.

Correct for the US, but other sources, (Talky Toaster, garmin.openstreetmap.nl, opencyclemap, openfietsmap) are better for UK and Europe. Postholedigger's link has lots of links for the rest of the world.

Edited by seldom_sn

Well the free maps is great! Thanks for the info! Even though I would love the Dakota it is just a little to much for me right now and a lot of the basic units like the Magellan Explorist has quite a few bad reviews which scares me. I know there will always be complaints but I want something that will work as well but I can't break the bank.

Thanks for all your help! I have a very old garmin etrex legend but I don't have the cord to it anymore and I would still have to print papers too. So I will have to hand enter coords for now I guess until I can get a new one!