Hi there

Hey everyone

new to the website and to geocaching altogether dont know if this the right place to post this :)? sorry in advance if not

Im based in the Dorset Area of England and really looking forward to getting some great finds

the last time i done something simular to this was about a year ago which was just a app where you go find treasure but the virtual type its a kinda pickup and bury and the longer you keep the item buried the more coins you get untill someone else pick it up

but lost interest in that as there was no account setting and i had to reboot my iphone so i lost 4-5 months worth of finds :-/ but then in the last few days i stumbled across Geocaching and my instant response was WOW this is AWESOME

so i had to download the geo app so far well worth the money for sure so much functionality

then yesterday came across the main web geo map WOOOOOW i could not believe how many caches there are all over the world and the amount of people doing this its just amazing

so i done my 1st geo today and im hooked already

at the moment i feel alittle nervy about the thought of poking around in some random bush somewhere and people looking over and staring thinking whats the hell is that strange guy doing >? lol

but i spose doing it enough times it gets easier :)

1 question for anyone who uses a iphone 4 and the geocache app how accurate is the coordinates for location finds ? is it pretty much bang on ?

like i said i only done just the 1 find in a place i know localy to me but forgot to test the coordinates

many thanks in advance

JabbaJaw

Edited by JabbaJaw

Welcome to the 'fun'. I don't know much about the iPhone for caching, but if you intend to stick with it then I would suggest you get a dedicated GPS tool.

As for the embarrassment of poking around in bushes... Get a dog :lol: Great for an excuse for poking around bushes and other strange places.

Me. Although I have a dog that I take with me. If anyone gets nosy, I tell them that I am looking for a UFO that landed here someplace. They soon clear off. :blink:

The accuracy will be maybe 10 meters, 5 if you're lucky; it's a combination of how accurate your device is, and how accurate the setter's device was. In the middle of a forest with many trees, that would be 10-15 meters. In the middle of a city with high buildings, that would be 20-30 meters.

If the police ask you what you're doing, explain about geocaching.

If anyone else asks you, tell them "I'm counting the slugs". But in my experience, most people completely ignore you.

I was doing a cache, there was a bridge over a river, and the bridge was in the middle of town, carrying a main road. I got down on the pavement, lying down, in order to feel for the cache on the metalwork of the bridge, working my way along by wriggling forward. People (and there were a lot of people) walked round me or stepped over me. No-one was interested in what I was up to.

Hi vis vest is useful. If anyone approaches you just put your phone to ear and pretend to be talking...... you'll look 'official' :lol:

I've got some information about using a smart phone for caching on my resource site. Suggest for your first few finds you go and look for traditional caches only (little green cache box icon) and ones that have a size showing of small, regular or large. Micros and 'other' sizes are sometimes difficult to actually find! Get your eye in with some straightforward ones and then go for the harder stuff!

Lots of Facebook groups about geocaching in the UK. Again, list of them on my resource site.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

Edited by Graculus

If you look like you might be official and might be meant to be doing whatever you're doing, chances are you'll get away with it. It seems very few people will challenge someone in a hi-vis vest, it's somewhat ironic that high visibility clothing makes you all but invisible in so many ways.

Some years back I was at a tourist attraction in central London. I'd stopped there on my way home from a client meeting so was in full business dress complete with briefcase. Just looking around I wandered into a private area, and only realised when I emerged from the other side through a door that said PRIVATE - KEEP OUT on the side I could only read once I'd left. So essentially I'd walked through a private section of this place, unchallenged, simply because I looked like I was supposed to be there. And I guess I would have looked that way since I didn't realise I wasn't supposed to be there.

If anyone else asks you, tell them "I'm counting the slugs". But in my experience, most people completely ignore you.

This could now be a highly relevant study:

!!!!!

Nothing that a goodly dose of metaldehyde won't sort out :ph34r:

On BBC1 anytime about nowish - The One Show is doing a piece on slug hunting.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges