Great big giant buckets.

I'm trying to locate a 5gallon or larger bucket for a cache. Of course, the bucket must be made of a decent thickness plastic, and MUST have a screw on lid that is as water tight as possible.

Lowes and Home Depot both carry them, But $15 for a bucket and lid is too much.

The lid is the big problem. Most all 5-gal (or larger) use press-on lids. Many people cannot unlock them to open, more-so are unable to lock them tight upon closing. It seems quite a few have trouble with L&L's and ammo cans.

There may be screw-top buckets, I just don't remember ever seeing any.

How about using a 55-gal drum with a ring-lock? Lotsa SWAG room there....... :)

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe a pickle barrel. Wouldn't they have screw-on lids?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I saw some boat dudes got them large containers with big screw on lit, with rubber gasket in it,

they fill it with important things they dont was to get wet, they exist in several sizes,

and the plastic is thick and very good quality,

their cost ?? I got no idea, but good stuff, most likely also cost alot

Gamma lids....

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_seal_lids_gamma_lid_products.aspx

Probably kinda pricey though, but looks like they'd do the job

There was a thread by Kunarion way back... let's see... ah!

Gamma Seal Blues

Never did hear how he made out in the end. There are good things and problematic things with them such as they still basically snap on unless sealed as he tried. Also like any sealed container they can breathe in better than out, even past a seal.

At first I was thinking of a different type of big bucket.

Like our local We'll Need a Bigger Sandbox which is hidden on a old dragline bucket.

Or nearby World's Biggest Truck which is somewhere below that dump bucket. They say big enough to hold two Greyhound buses side by side, with room left over.

check the galleries.

Both of which are good hide spots using big buckets. I stand corrected though.

Edit: I might suggest the local DIY wine / beer making places. Ours often has empties available, often on a please take away free basis.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I saw some boat dudes got them large containers with big screw on lit, with rubber gasket in it,

they fill it with important things they dont was to get wet, they exist in several sizes,

It sounds like what you're talking about is a boat deck inspection plate, like this;

22069_0.jpg

They're supposed to be watertight. One site has them for about $8 for one that is 4" in diameter. They jump in price significantly for a larger diameter. A company called Beckson makes a variety of them. I have a Beckson 6" diameter plate that I got with a wooden kayak kit. I didn't use it, and instead made semi flush (and mostly watertight) hatch covers out of wood. *Most* kayak hatch covers (for access to the bulkheads) leak a little bit, especially if you spend a lot of time in rougher water and/or go upside down a lot. If there is something that is put into a bulkhead that has to stay dry, a drybag will work.

Upon rereading this it sounds like you're talking about a dry storage barrel. They're frequently used for canoe tripping. A 20 liter barrel (about the smallest size), runs about $30 U.S.

I came across an interesting screw top container the other day. Immediately thought of this thread and for Geocaching.

I asked the owner of it what exactly it was and he told me it was an OLIVE container he got from a restaurant (Greek? Italian?)

Anyway it was black plastic and about 10 inches in diameter and maybe 18 to 20 long, lid on the one end. I'll try to get a photo next visit.

Meanwhile I'm trying to talk him out of it. It is much better than the olive tins he has.

It is probably a widely used food shipping container somewhere.

Doug 7rxc