Geocaching is the BOMB!

tcdjo

Suspicious object prompts evacuation of Marshall Walmart

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 ~ Updated 10:31 PM

By ERIC CRUMP/Editor

What turned out to be a harmless object was suspicious enough to prompt law enforcement officials to order the evacuation of Marshall Walmart and bring in explosives experts from Whiteman Air Force Base Wednesday evening, June 20.

The device was discovered shortly before 5 p.m. by a Walmart employee. But it wasn't the appearance of device alone that caused alarm, according to a police spokesman.

Marshall Police Public Information Officer Roger Gibson said surveillance cameras showed three male subjects behaving in a suspicious manner. After placing an object on a guardrail near the automotive department, the subjects re-entered the store.

Explosives experts from Whiteman Air Force Base prepare to examine a suspicious device discovered at the north end of Walmart Supercenter in Marshall late Tuesday afternoon, June 20.

(Eric Crump/Democrat-News) [Order this photo]

That, Gibson said, was what prompted the decision to evacuate the store.

"We decided to err on the side of caution," he added. "You never know with these things."

Two units from Whiteman arrived just before 8 p.m. While bomb-sniffing canines helped search the store, explosives experts examined the object found outside, which they agreed was suspicious-looking, Gibson said.

The small object that caused a good deal of concern Wednesday, June 20, looked like a possible explosive device but turned out to be part of a geocaching game, Marshall police said.

They x-rayed the object, which was a tube wrapped in electrical tape with a small metal tab on one end, and determined it was harmless. Shortly after 9 p.m., the object was cut open.

"It was a geocache," Marshall Police Chief Mike Donnell said. Geocaching is a "treasure" hunting game that includes using the Internet and GPS information to locate objects.

The game is innocent enough, but Donnell said making an object look like an explosive device was a serious matter.

"It's a federal offense to create any device that looks like a bomb," he said.

He noted that even though the incident turned out to be a false alarm, many people were inconvenienced, including Walmart shoppers and staff. The employees who were scheduled to work during the investigation stayed on scene, gathering in front of nearby Red Cross Pharmacy until the all-clear was given.

About 9:30 p.m. employees started heading back to the store after spending more than four hours cooling their heels.

Donnell said after surveillance video is reviewed, police will probably release more details about the subjects suspected of being involved in placing the object.

Two problems with this statement:

1) If I WERE going to make a bomb, the last thing I'd make it look like is a bomb.

2) Once the bomb squad arrives, EVERYTHING they can't positively identify (including a Tupperware container clearly labeled "Official Geocache")is assumed to be a bomb. :rolleyes:

Besides, who makes the determination that a thing "looks like a bomb"? To the bomb squad, everything looks like a bomb. To a hiker or camper, it looked like a match safe wrapped in electrical tape. To a Geocacher, it looked like a lame guardrail cache at a WalMart. :rolleyes:

They x-rayed the object, which was a tube wrapped in electrical tape with a small metal tab on one end, and determined it was harmless.

Why aren't more bomb squads using this approach instead of blowing everything to bits that they find? Other than it's fun to blow stuff up? :ph34r:

Donnell said after surveillance video is reviewed, police will probably release more details about the subjects suspected of being involved in placing the object.

Suspects? They confirmed that it was just a Geocache, why are these guys still being called "suspects"? They obviously weren't intending to cause a bomb scare. What are they going to charge them with, littering? :blink:

Edited by Chief301

I live nearby and know people that work in emergency services there. I plan on asking them what they thin there gonna charge who with. I mean how does the 117th cacher get to be the unlucky one who placed a look alike bomb. Even if you try and charge the owner to fit the federal charge you have to prove they intended to make a look alike bomb.

Also on the bomb squad not blowing it up. Ive been around before for a disposal with the guys from Whiteman and there top notch guys with some of the best tools. But often blowing a suspected device is the safest option. I would say that the small size of this one had something to do with not blowing it.

Two problems with this statement:

1) If I WERE going to make a bomb, the last thing I'd make it look like is a bomb.

2) Once the bomb squad arrives, EVERYTHING they can't positively identify (including a Tupperware container clearly labeled "Official Geocache")is assumed to be a bomb. :rolleyes:

Besides, who makes the determination that a thing "looks like a bomb"? To the bomb squad, everything looks like a bomb. To a hiker or camper, it looked like a match safe wrapped in electrical tape. To a Geocacher, it looked like a lame guardrail cache at a WalMart. :rolleyes:

They x-rayed the object, which was a tube wrapped in electrical tape with a small metal tab on one end, and determined it was harmless.

Why aren't more bomb squads using this approach instead of blowing everything to bits that they find? Other than it's fun to blow stuff up? :ph34r:

Suspects? They confirmed that it was just a Geocache, why are these guys still being called "suspects"? They obviously weren't intending to cause a bomb scare. What are they going to charge them with, littering? :blink:

I was thinking this...how would I know what a bomb looks like? :blink: How in the world would I avoid making something that looks like one? Troll google images? That'll look good when they're searching my computer for evidence for trial. :laughing:;)

Just checked out the cache page...this cache has been in place for over 3 years and has 117 finds. You mean to tell me that NOBODY at the store knew about it?

Somebody at the store, possibly even the manager (or the former manager) may have known about it. It's unlikely that EVERYONE at the store knew about it. All it takes is one person that doesn't know about it, and notices "suspicious behavior" to call the police for an investigation of a "suspicious object" to start.

Possibly because there was an assumption that the people "involved in placing the object" are the same as the people that created the object. I'd be curious to see the actually text for the federal offense "to create any device that looks like a bomb". It seems to me that creating a device that looks like a bomb really isn't an issue unless it's placed someplace where others might see it. Are the "suspects" in violation of a federal offense if they find an object that looks like a bomb and place it back where they found it?

I don't know if anybody noticed it, but there is a short URL at the bottom of the news story that points to the cache in question: GC1MJ5M North Pole

This cache is located in Marshall, Mo.

Many thanks go to Store manager Gary Goldammer for granting permission to place this cache.

The cache is a magnatized match holder. The area is completely handicap accessible. It can be a very high Muggle area so stealth will be required. As always, thanks for visiting Marshall and I hope you take the time to enjoy some of our offerings.

Now, here's an interesting log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=512917a6-0eab-42ba-a1d3-2748be6d27e1

after a thurough search and even help from an employee we determined cache was gone ..vanished or muggled maby abducted by ailiens for a universal geo cache experience lol have a great cache day
Edited by knowschad

Here's the "bomb". It's a waterproof match container wrapped in black duct tape:

1685894-H.jpg

OMG! I'm carrying a bomb in my caching bag RIGHT NOW!

The object, a tube wrapped in electrical tape with a small metal tab on one end, was located on the back side of the guard rail between the rail and one of the posts so that it was concealed from both sides of the guard rail. It could not be seen without crossing the guard rail and looking for it, according to Gibson.

I dont think there was any metal tab.

BTW, I got a few of those out there but I dont use electrical tape, I just paint them.

I don't know if anybody noticed it, but there is a short URL at the bottom of the news story that points to the cache in question: GC1MJ5M North Pole

This cache is located in Marshall, Mo.

Many thanks go to Store manager Gary Goldammer for granting permission to place this cache.

The cache is a magnatized match holder. The area is completely handicap accessible. It can be a very high Muggle area so stealth will be required. As always, thanks for visiting Marshall and I hope you take the time to enjoy some of our offerings.

Now, here's an interesting log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=512917a6-0eab-42ba-a1d3-2748be6d27e1

after a thurough search and even help from an employee we determined cache was gone ..vanished or muggled maby abducted by ailiens for a universal geo cache experience lol have a great cache day

Good thing no one is taking me up on my "prediction" about the next bomb threat thread. But if anyone is following along, I'm good, because this cache had permission. :ph34r:

In addition to KC finding that log, there is a tiny little blurb that says a former Wal-Mart manager gave permission in the article. However:

-- In one of the earliest Bomb Squad incidents, a cache at a rural Indiana Restaraunt with permission was blown up in 2004.

-- A cache at a Wal-Mart in NW Pa. with permission was blown up.

-- A cache at a Police Station in NW Pa. with permission was blown up.

-- A cache in a park in Green Bay, Wisconsin was blown up, while a Green Bay Fireman who was a very prolific Geocacher watched, being unable to do anything to convince his fellow City employess not to blow it up.

And those are just off the top of my own little head. Permission doesn't mean everyone knows about it. It doesn't mean a "concerned muggle" isn't going to call in suspicious behavior. And think about it; if the Police receive a call about suspicious behavior in the store parking lot, why would they ask the manager about it? :blink:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

How much damage could a "bomb" that small do?

I hear you, but it doesn't, and probably shouldn't, really matter to those guys. Protocol has to take precedence over logic. They don't want those guys making decisions. The only part of this that bothers me is that police chief that seems to be blaming the geocachers.

I think quite a bit. C-4 Explosive can be molded into any shape, including obviously a match container. This is actually page 2 of a 4 page article but it has most of the pertinent information.

And seeing as you're somewhat local to me, didja know a film canister micro was blown up at a Sam's Club parking lot in Jamestown, NY? I'd say '06 or '07 or so. Could look up if anyone really wants to see it.

Just to note, the article said "subjects suspected", which isn't quite the same thing as calling them "suspects".

Depending on the type of explosive it could do a LOT of damage. Specially if it was placed near something of importance such as a gas line or a load bearing column. Or it could be an incendiary device to start a fire, or even a chemical device to disperse anthrax or something like that. Just because it's small doesn't mean it can't do major damage.

I dont think there was any metal tab.

My bet is that's the small magnet that 'magnetized' the match holder per the cache page.

That is a good possibility. However consider that out of 5 of those purchased at a Walmart by me, 5 of them had a piece of flint on the closed end. It was a small cylindrical piece captured in a niche in the plastic. Never could strike a match with it, too smooth, but I did figure out that a knife can knock a spark into a couple of match heads with good results when striking failed.

Won't comment on the state of modern 'strike anywhere' matches. Oh for the day of 'Sesqui' or 'Eddy' strike anywheres.

Doug 7rxc

You know, everybody is assuming that this item was really "mistaken for a suspicious device" perhaps the person calling it in, or the first officer on scene was a geocacher who really hates Walmart Guard Rail caches, of course, that's not going to narrow down the field much.

The new manager takes the position and discovers that the employees have grown lax. Items are found scattered all over the respective departments, shelves are empty with the product still wrapped up on pallets in the back room. Twenty minute breaks are stretched to 45 minutes. Mice appear in the store room, as partially eaten food items from off the shelves are discarded under the racks. So he tries to get things straightened up, which is an uphill battle. The employees start muttering "if Gary Goldammer were here we would be able to take 45 minute breaks. If Gary Goldammer were here we would be able to eat items in the back room. Gary Goldammer wasn't so anal about straightening up like this guy. Gary Goldammer let us drink beer in the garden center after work. Gary Goldammer let us do all kinds of things.. Next, the new manager hears about the cache in the parking lot that Gary Goldammer allowed...:D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

The new manager takes the position and discovers that the employees have grown lax. Items are found scattered all over the respective departments, shelves are empty with the product still wrapped up on pallets in the back room. Twenty minute breaks are stretched to 45 minutes. Mice appear in the store room, as partially eaten food items from off the shelves are discarded under the racks. So he tries to get things straightened up, which is an uphill battle. The employees start muttering "if Gary Goldammer were here we would be able to take 45 minute breaks. If Gary Goldammer were here we would be able to eat items in the back room. Gary Goldammer wasn't so anal about straightening up like this guy. Next he hears about the cache in the parking lot that Gary Goldammer allowed...:D

Not to mention that an employee is helping the geocachers:

after a thurough search and even help from an employee we determined cache was gone ..

You know, everybody is assuming that this item was really "mistaken for a suspicious device"

It probably wasn't the object that raised suspicions as much as the people. Someone sneaking around back of Wal-mart, trying not to be seen, could make a person nervous.

I would imagine that store security knew about it. If they didn't, 117 successful cachers would have been rounded up for suspicious activity.

It is known that at least one employee knew about it. And one former manager. Anybody wanna see if that former manager is on LinkedIn? Maybe we can get him to join in the thread. :lol: (just kidding... leave the poor guy alone if you do find him!)

I would imagine that store security knew about it. If they didn't, 117 successful cachers would have been rounded up for suspicious activity.

Remember, you're talking about Walmart security. There is more like a 1 in 500 chance for anyone to be noticed by them. They are about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.

I just went through every one of my hides and archived every last one placed at Walmart. :mad:

How much damage a bomb that size could cause depends entirely on what is used to compose the bomb. Some products could do quite a bit of damage packed that size.

The other concern with smaller size items is they are often used as diversionary type devices. Many groups are using them and they have been used in the US. A smaller device is detonated which causes minor damage. This initial device was not intended to cause much damage or injury, only draw people in. The only purpose of the smaller device is to draw the first responders to the scene, fire, police, ambulance, spectators, business owners, etc. Then a secondary device, much larger than the first, such a a car or truck bomb is detonated near where these people are located which takes out a larger group of people.

Someone commented on Whiteman EOD using xray and why other places don't. How do you know they don't? If they're EOD trained, and no agency is going to send in non-EOD people, then xraying and other equipment is available. Xraying a parcel doesn't always tell you what's inside. I've been on plenty of bomb calls where xrays were done but due to packaging and what was inside no determination could be made if it was a device. Also, not every situation lends itself well to xraying. You can't always set up an xray so you have to resort to other approaches. Sometimes it can be examined and dismantled in place. Sometimes that means removing it from site. Sometimes it means blowing in place. No 2 situations are the same and every situation has to be evaluated depending on surrounding environment, device, history and intel of similiar devices, warnings, location, etc.

People who have never had to deal with emergency situations don't have a clue about the various things required to be considered but everyone thinks they're an expert because they watch TV or seen a movie. There's a whole lot more involved than the untrained has any clue about.

I think folks are taking this a bit too lightly...

How long do you think police will be tolerating these false alarms in the guise of an online scavenger hunt game without starting hitting with penalties in the form of bills or more severe stuff?

Your right. The best action we can take at this time is to archive all our caches, get geocaching.com to shutdown and the problem will be solved. Of course there those four other pesky sites that will have to be dealt with.

How long do you think police will be tolerating these false alarms in the guise of an online scavenger hunt game without starting hitting with penalties in the form of bills or more severe stuff?

Your right. The best action we can take at this time is to archive all our caches, get geocaching.com to shutdown and the problem will be solved. Of course there those four other pesky sites that will have to be dealt with.

Amen! :laughing:

Well, its been roughly ten years so far.