Dragons

I love dragons. I think they are pretty neat. I cannot for the life of me find a category for them. Do they go in the mythological creatures category or epic beings or one of those fantastical categories? So help me G-D I'll start a category of someone doesn't figure this out for me. I mean it! Here I go.....

I love Dragons also. They are wonderful creatures: Proud, Colourful and Brave. I have seen many dragons in south east Asia, in fact I posted a picture of one just a day or two ago. There is no specific category for dragons, sad to say. I did consider proposing such a category, but thought that it might be considered a tad flippant. Then again, we do have a category for lions, which are lazy creatures, who do nothing more than sleep 18 hours a day and have sex, while their women folk do all the work ... ummm. Anyway.

I love Dragons also. They are wonderful creatures: Proud, Colourful and Brave. I have seen many dragons in south east Asia, in fact I posted a picture of one just a day or two ago. There is no specific category for dragons, sad to say. I did consider proposing such a category, but thought that it might be considered a tad flippant. Then again, we do have a category for lions, which are lazy creatures, who do nothing more than sleep 18 hours a day and have sex, while their women folk do all the work ... ummm. Anyway.

Wish I was a lion...

I kind of would like to start a category for them but it seems like some people are a bit worried about the overlap. Let me stew on it and I'll get back to you in a bit. I see we already have an officer core. Also, even though I am an officer in the figurative statue category, something about it has never sat right with me. I think it should be a category ti include anything which is not able to go somewhere else, like the Signs of History category. With this in mind, if I did start this, then the dragons would no longer be eligible for the figurative category.

So, after I deliberate a bit I will let you know. At any rate, by my count we have N!tro (rock solid waymarker), Ian@Large (love the pictures), lumbricus (whose name I still cannot pronounce!) and me.

Stay tuned....

I am not worried about overlaps. There are always overlaps and cross-posting is part of the game.

But a complete subset is something else than an overlap. Some categories are broad enough to allow a specific category for something that would be covered in the original one, Figurative Sculptures is such a case. But Epic Beings and Creatures is not a very broad category and Dragons fit perfectly.

I found Waymarking recently, i have been reading everything I encounter in the forum to learn more about the Waymarking.

Today I decided to participate for the first time. I read an old topic in the archives on the creation of new Category about animals and was the general opinion that it was not a good category. I understood it because you could fit it in the Figurative Public Sculpture and by what I have read above being a mythical animal it can also be placed in Epic Beings and Creatures.

Help me because I got confused? What has changed? Why is everybody now supporting it? Can I create a category on statues of Eagles?

Thank you for thr help.

Turkeys are better than eagles:

Franklin's Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

I searched waymarks for "drak" (Czech for Dragon) and except of few local species (dragons of Brno and Trutnov), most of our dragons are being killed by St. George. There are also some plastic ones guarding the entrances of Chinese restaurants.

If some member of Epic Beings and Creatures should be singled out, I would prefer Vodnik (Vodanoy, Wasserman, Water Sprite) :)

620b0953-1c8f-4436-a867-6c7be90970d1.jpg

(picture taken from Dorcadion's WMAK0R).

I searched waymarks for "drak" (Czech for Dragon) and except of few local species (dragons of Brno and Trutnov), most of our dragons are being killed by St. George. There are also some plastic ones guarding the entrances of Chinese restaurants.

If some member of Epic Beings and Creatures should be singled out, I would prefer Vodnik (Vodanoy, Wasserman, Water Sprite) :)

I have no problem with this as a category but I do want to mention that not everyone lives in an area where things like this are common at all, I can't think of a single one within 50 miles of my home.

Not sure which category it should go into, but the photo sure demonstrates the perils of smoking !