Trackable missing from cache is all too common

MinnBrewer

I don't have many finds under my belt as of yet, only 15 at the time of this writing, however, I have landed at several caches which indicate there is a trackable item inside; usually a geocoin. Today, I found a cache that I discovered was supposed to have two geocoins in it. When I arrived, there was no sign of either of them although there was plenty of swag. In fact, I have never found a trackable item in any cache where it is listed as being there. Looking back, all have gone missing between 6 months to 18 months previously.

Is this so common that I am less likely to find a trackable than I am likely to find one when it is in inventory of the cache that I am visiting?

I don't want to believe that people take them and hoard them, but I am having a difficult time understanding how this is happening so often. I am dropping a few in myself at this point, but I am worried that it is a rather fruitless endeavor (I guess I will find out rolleyes.gif).

Edited by MinnBrewer

It happens a lot.

It's a good idea to look at the home page of any trackable listed in a cache inventory to see when it was dropped off. Then look at how many cachers have found the cache since the drop-off. If there have been several Finders then it's likely the trackables has already been taken by one of them.

Why does it happen?

Because more and more people are joining the game and many of them start off "blindly". They get an application on their phone and start caching. They've only skimmed the basic instructions about finding and logging caches - Very often they pick up trackables without really understanding what they are, or how they should be logged correctly. Very often they know nothing of these forums and other helpful places. Very often they don't know any other cachers who they can ask for guidance.

So a lot of trackables get picked up and dropped off in other caches but not logged from one to the other. Some poor, unfortunate trackables miss out on two, or three (or maybe more!) placements. Then they turn up a couple of hundred miles away when they get found by a cacher who does know what they're doing and logs them correctly.

They're the lucky trackables.

The unlucky ones end up in the hands/pockets/rucksacks of cachers who find 5 caches then get bored with the whole idea and never cache again.

I believe a few of them are deliberately stolen - this mostly applies to geocoins. (I can't believe that anybody would want to deliberately steal most of the crumby, tatty objects that are used as TBs!)

Anyway... That's just my opinion. I still enjoy releasing them but I accept it's a gamble every time I drop one off in a cache.

MrsB :)

While I have heard third/fourth/fifteenth-hand tales about trackables going into someone's pocket, never to see the light of day again, there are other possibilities:

- The person who picked it up isn't aware of the process by which trackables should be logged (I've seen this one a lot recently)

- The person who last found it may not have correctly opened the cache, thereby causing the item to be lost

- The person may have intended to put it back, but neglected to do so

There are other scenarios to imagine something less malevolent, of course, but who really knows what goes on when that lid is popped.

In my own experiences, with approximately a hundred trackable-capable finds, I'm about 50/50 on present versus not-present.

This was especially disappointing prior to my trip to Vegas, as I'd been hoping to find some West-Coast-bound items.

And even moreso when it's a trackable of a type I've never seen, and I just want to see something new.

In my own experiences, with approximately a hundred trackable-capable finds, I'm about 50/50 on present versus not-present.

Yeah, I'd say about 50/50, too. More missing in tourist areas.

I've run into a few cases where I suspect muggles (kids mostly, I would guess) have learned about a cache and regularly go look to see what's in it and take what's pretty. I'm guessing they have no idea what geocaching is, just that they found a box in the woods that people seem to visit and leave different stuff in. I'm not sure how many missing travelers can be attributed to that.

Another failure involving cachers: I ran into a guy that typically goes caching with his kids and lets them take care of the swag. From what he explained, he sometimes discovers months later that they took a traveler. I was stunned that anyone would let that happen, but from the way he talked about it, it happens to him all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if this was another common cause of missing TBs.

I had one TB go missing while on holiday.

I am convined (due to the cache location) that my TB was hurled into the Sea.

It was then eaten by some sea creature..

Who was eaten by a larger sea creature..

Who was eaten by a Whale.

Then that Whale then died (hopefully not due to my TB) and has sunk to the bottom of the sea.

I figure if my TB is boyant enough, I may just see it again some day.

Shaun

Not saying that you should not send geocoins out into the world, but they have a far better chance of survival in your collection.

I found another cache over lunch today and again, a trackable was not present when it should be. To be fair, there was a log entry on June 10th for this location that was not logged on the website, so perhaps it will show up eventually. I think that I may avoid dropping any Geocoin tackables into a cache unless I can find a sign that such bounty has successfully traveled about via that cache. I'll take a slight dose of cynicism with "Geocoins gone missing" for the time being laughing.gif.

Because TB's seem to go missing more out of urban/"touristy" caches, I tend to leave them in out of the way caches. They may not travel as fast, but at least I have the feeling that a cacher who knows what to do with a trackable is going to be the one to grab the trackable. As opposed to a newbie with a smartphone urban caching, and thinking it was swag.

Edited for spelling

Edited by gustav129

I've run into a few cases where I suspect muggles (kids mostly, I would guess) have learned about a cache and regularly go look to see what's in it and take what's pretty. I'm guessing they have no idea what geocaching is, just that they found a box in the woods that people seem to visit and leave different stuff in. I'm not sure how many missing travelers can be attributed to that.

We've seen a lot of caches where this scenario fits. Caches placed near houses, where kids would play, are favourite locations of cachers, too.

Caches placed near playgrounds or close to houses are ones I would never leave trackables.

Mrs B has an excellent suggestion in the Features & Suggestions forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284690

B.

I totally agree, about trackable saying they are still in caches. Owners of the TB or the cache owner should be marking this as "missing" However this really is not happening. There should be a function that people can "flag" an item missing like on craiglist. After so many "flags" it would go into a missing status.

I totally agree, about trackable saying they are still in caches. Owners of the TB or the cache owner should be marking this as "missing" However this really is not happening. There should be a function that people can "flag" an item missing like on craiglist. After so many "flags" it would go into a missing status.

That would make the situation a whole lot worse for the OP. The Trackables are still gone, but that information becomes hidden.

It's not the TB owner's fault that it's not in its listed cache. Let the TO decide what to do. Allowing other people to vote it away is... kind of obnoxious.

Edited by kunarion

I notice that this cache http://coord.info/GC256FW has been visited multiple times since I found it and dropped a travel bug in it. Two were supposed to be in it and were not there when I got there. Nobody seems to be picking up mine, so I suspect it may also be gone. Time will tell, but I have yet to find a trackable even though I should have found many.

From what I see, it has been logged online one time since you placed your TB two days ago.

Your expectations may be a little steep, I think.

Sit back, relax and enjoy a homebrew, I have a wonderful Spruce Beer (if my neighbor hasn't raided it again).

I notice that this cache http://coord.info/GC256FW has been visited multiple times since I found it and dropped a travel bug in it. Two were supposed to be in it and were not there when I got there. Nobody seems to be picking up mine, so I suspect it may also be gone. Time will tell, but I have yet to find a trackable even though I should have found many.

From what I see, it has been logged online one time since you placed your TB two days ago.

Your expectations may be a little steep, I think.

Sit back, relax and enjoy a homebrew, I have a wonderful Spruce Beer (if my neighbor hasn't raided it again).

TB4XGT1? It still shows as located in Tree Fiddy,

When I wrote the last sentence, it was true, but a finder has come along and reported it :) The bug itself seems to have suffered for the ride, but it's dog tag survives.

Edited by MinnBrewer
Two were supposed to be in it and were not there when I got there. Nobody seems to be picking up mine, so I suspect it may also be gone.

If a cache has Trackables listed, but they're gone, there's some kind of a black hole there. Often it's due to cachers who can't seem to log the Trackables correctly, but there's a ton of other reasons. I use ghost Trackables as convenient red flags when deciding where to place nice things or more Trackables. For those, I specify what's missing, and leave nothing new.

Cachers don't type decent logs, again there are a lot of reasons for this. Some important info is exactly which Trackables are in there, and anything you take from the container. I usually don't get specific about Swag I place, since there's kind of a problem with people taking everything nice all the time (and them not mentioning that).

Edited by kunarion

I'm still fairly new a caching, but really enjoy picking up TBs and moving them along.

When at home and I see the TB symbol in the cache list, I check the logs to see if people indicate whether or not it's actually there.

When out in the field and I locate some caches I hadn't planned on looking for and see there is supposed to be a trackable in it, it is disappointing to not find it.

I have yet to find a geocoin in a cache.

I've found 43 over the 10 years, but the percentage stolen is amazingly high.

I released 3 coins over the years. All are goners.

- one lasted 24 months til nov-07, 32 drops, 865 miles

- one lasted 27 months til oct-08, 36 drops, 24300 miles (West Coast, Hawaii, Japan, East Coast)

- one lasted 6 months til apr-06, 17 drops, 3500 miles

I quit releasing coins when the local Seattle/Tacoma theft problem got beyond ridiculous. When I find them these days unless I'm planning on traveling someplace 'far' away and can get them some miles, I tend to just 'discover' them rather than move them (figuring they're safer where I find them if I actually find one around here), but occasionally I'll move one if it's very cool and I can bring it home to show the family.

In general, I try to log "the TB or coin is not in the last reported cache" when I notice one supposedly there is missing so the owner at least knows it's possibly a goner.

I have a PQ for local caches containing trackables and once in a while I'll check one if an interesting coin is allegedly there. It's probably been a few years since any actually were present. Sigh.

Edited by vds

We actually found our first last week. I'd say the ratio of caches that say they have a geocoin to caches that actually have them have been about 15 to 1 (for me personally). We're trying to drop it off on vacation next week :)

After dropping my wife off at work this morning, I went to a location I did not originally plan on going to and found a geocoin in a cache :D

Travel bugs never die,

Rescued the star from a filthy cache, took it home, cleaned it up, placed it in a somewhat remote cache where it was "retrieved" a month later:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=70967736-f625-4367-863f-28b2bbc7c8e7

Cute little orange critter, placed in a seemingly remote mountain cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=1ea984b1-d765-40d7-a6d8-836baff095f6

"Retrieved" two years ago...it's a spark plug! Gone.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=05581335-288a-43e1-bcd4-d5992f9c6830

Previous finder made note "no trackables" in the cache it was last placed in:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d6caa8a0-ec77-4647-bdb0-c3cc9d66c1d0

Cache is "gone"? Well, so are the trackables, including this ape:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=bcb59cd5-fecd-4e6a-9a56-c7716f16f174

Large truck-shaped bank, last "retrieved" in 2009:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=70102b25-c7c0-42f2-8c75-8f1bd2cc2815

B.

I agree that finding TB's in caches is about a 50/50 proposition. I did find a geocoin last month that had been placed in a cache in 2008 and the cache had been marked as missing. It really was still there but well hidden for 4 years and after time got archived and replaced with a newer cache but as an LPC. So there is always hope. I have had some of mine disappear for 6 months then reappear. Sometimes they reappeared because I sent some emails out. One thing that would help is more cachers including remarks in their logs like T-2TB, L-1GC or similar. Also great is when it says there are trackables, and there really are none, is for cachers to say that in the log.

I have learned not to spend very much or any money on the hitchhikers. Dollar Tree items work good or swag you get from caching. Four cardboard items for $1.00 are still out there with over 10,000 miles each on them. I bought a simple $1 Pepe Le Pew Locket as a hitchhiker and it didn't go past initial placement. A Darth Sidious action figure from Mickey D's got the same result. You don't pays your money, you don't take any chances.

Travel bugs never die,

Rescued the star from a filthy cache, took it home, cleaned it up, placed it in a somewhat remote cache where it was "retrieved" a month later:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=70967736-f625-4367-863f-28b2bbc7c8e7

Cute little orange critter, placed in a seemingly remote mountain cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=1ea984b1-d765-40d7-a6d8-836baff095f6

"Retrieved" two years ago...it's a spark plug! Gone.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=05581335-288a-43e1-bcd4-d5992f9c6830

Previous finder made note "no trackables" in the cache it was last placed in:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d6caa8a0-ec77-4647-bdb0-c3cc9d66c1d0

Cache is "gone"? Well, so are the trackables, including this ape:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=bcb59cd5-fecd-4e6a-9a56-c7716f16f174

Large truck-shaped bank, last "retrieved" in 2009:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=70102b25-c7c0-42f2-8c75-8f1bd2cc2815

B.

So what's your point? I've released the same TB three times. People still enjoy it and never consider it a proxy.

I have just this week adopted a couple of nearby caches plus a few TB's. On looking at the TB's at least one appears to be MIA but it is great to hear and read of other TB's that reappear after months/years. So fingers crossed for my (new) adopted ones also reappear. :D

I've released only three, but all are "in the hands of" someone for 8 months or more now. One is a cacher with two finds and no recent activity; that one's surely a goner. The other two might resurface - what the accepted practice around sending the holder a message (politely of course) saying basically hey, do you still have this guy somewhere, or should I mark it missing?

I've released only three, but all are "in the hands of" someone for 8 months or more now. One is a cacher with two finds and no recent activity; that one's surely a goner. The other two might resurface - what the accepted practice around sending the holder a message (politely of course) saying basically hey, do you still have this guy somewhere, or should I mark it missing?

It's fine to send an email to ask whether they still have your trackable - Sometimes a bit of a nudge is all that's required to get them moving again. On the other hand, you can beat some cachers over the head with a 20lb sledge hammer and they still won't get the message that you'd like them to move your trackable into another cache.

Yeah... Try an email or two before resorting to anything else...

MrsB ;)

Disclaimer: I wish it to be known that I don't condone any form of physical violence used on cachers who hold on to trackables for weeks/months/years on end. (But may their caches all be wet nanos <_< )

Edited by The Blorenges

I have one instance of dropping a coin and a fellow cache-er of some note in his log stated that he found the coin and found it to be beautiful but he n ever log the coin found. he stated that he would at a later date. to my knowledge it has never returned to circulation. and this is a long time cache-er. really changed my feelings toward him. we have never met face to face it might be a good thing. <_<:unsure::blink::huh::anibad:

I have one instance of dropping a coin and a fellow cache-er of some note in his log stated that he found the coin and found it to be beautiful but he n ever log the coin found. he stated that he would at a later date. to my knowledge it has never returned to circulation. and this is a long time cache-er.

Sometimes cachers pick up a coin, then misplace it accidentally, and are too embarassed to say so. The logs from that point on, tend to be a little vague :rolleyes:. A few months later, the Trackable gets "grabbed" and placed into a cache, like magic, by a different cacher in a different region.

I don't know if that's what happened to your coin, but a couple of mine faded away, then were "grabbed" later, and I'd bet it those were interesting stories. Stories that will never be told.

When you find that a trackable listed in the inventory is not in the cache, it's helpful if you can put a note on the trackable's page to let the owner know it's not there. Similarly mention its absence in your cache log using either the trackable's name or its public reference number.

MrsB

We have started doing this. That way the TB owner knows that thier bug is missing in action. We've received some thank yous in return.