1st International EarthCache Event

geoaware

Hi Folks

Just an update on the planning of this wonderful Event.

As of today (20 June) we have 453 folks registered to attend....so MEGA status is looking very promising indeed.

We still have some of the special Commemorative Event geocoins available - to get one you need to register in the first 500 at a level that includes a coin!

We have a full program of sessions including one by very senior staff of Groundspeak! Other sessions cover topics like how a GPS works, using EarthCaches in the classroom, understanding the EarthCache guidelines, how to find geologic information and so much more.

Activities for the geokids are also planned. Signal the Frog will be at the Event!

The very special VIP Reception for Platinum EarthCache Masters who are registered for the Event is planned on the evening of Saturday 1 September. However, you have to register soon to be sent an invitation (it's an 'invitation only' event)

Other events are developing around the main Event - including a CITO, Flash Mob etc

So don't delay - get registered! www.earthcacheevent.org

Geoaware

PS Please note that you can register on the day at the event, but only at the lower levels. Non-registrants can sign the log book, but can't enter any of the sessions, vendor area etc.

Sigh, I really wish I could go to this, but as it's sort of far from Arkansas, and well, I'm a school teacher, I can't make it.

You know...Arkansas IS called the Natural State...maybe the next event can be down here?

;)

I seem to recall in one of the posts about this event, that it would count towards professional development credits (or whatever you call them) for teachers. Not that that helps you to finance the trip, but it might give you some added incentive.

I am fortunate enough to live within driving distance. Ok, so it's a good 7 hour drive or so, but still doable. I'm looking forward to it.

From yesterday's EarthCache Event e-mail update:

"Teachers - come join the event!

Any teacher that attends the Event and participates in 2 or more sessions will be eligible to receive a certificate for the hours they spent undertaking professional development. They will also receive a free copy of the EarthCache Educators Guide!"

Although we know that for many teachers, that's the weekend they're prepping to go back to school (or they've gone back the previous week)...

I guess we'll just have to plan a future event that is a little bit closer to you all... :)

Yiha! I suggest the Jurassic Coast in England. Lovely villages and towns, many ECs, good transport connections and some marvelous geology! (and even the weather might be ok)

Woohoo! Congratulations! Just a shame it's so far from here :(

Just out of curiosity: Why does not make a difference whether one attends an event with 499 participants or with 501?

Actually, I thought that it should be the location and the program and the chance to meet other people with similar interests that counts and not the status of an event,

but apparently I'm wrong.

Cezanne

Woohoo! Congratulations! Just a shame it's so far from here :(

Just out of curiosity: Why does not make a difference whether one attends an event with 499 participants or with 501?

Actually, I thought that it should be the location and the program and the chance to meet other people with similar interests that counts and not the status of an event,

but apparently I'm wrong.

Cezanne

It is just what Groundspeak set for a minimum. There are people all over that feel that they deserve to be a mega. Groundspeak just set the rules and the process. The basis is 500 people.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=86

It is just what Groundspeak set for a minimum. There are people all over that feel that they deserve to be a mega. Groundspeak just set the rules and the process. The basis is 500 people.

For a megavent, yes. I know the rules and that's why I used 499 and 501 in my example. My question maybe should have been phrased "Why does it make any difference to anyone whether or not the EC event has mega status"? Why is this seen like an award? A great event is a great event.

Cezanne

For a megavent, yes. I know the rules and that's why I used 499 and 501 in my example. My question maybe should have been phrased "Why does it make any difference to anyone whether or not the EC event has mega status"? Why is this seen like an award? A great event is a great event.

In a way - it makes no difference. I anxiously awaited for registration to open so I could sign up for this event - Mega or not. However, it's still cool that it revieved Mega status. For one thing, it shows that it's successful and could encourage future events like this. For another thing, my stats show that I have attended over 200 events, but only 5 Mega events. I like going for the rarer icons (webcams, virtuals, etc.) whenever possible. It just adds another dimension to this game.

Cezanne

For me it doesn't matter if it's got a Mega icon or not. It's too far away for me anyway. What is important for me is that there are so many people out there who'd like to go to an Earthcache event. I love Earthcaches, and I know many don't. This bit of EC-love just feels good B)

Mrs. terratin

For me it doesn't matter if it's got a Mega icon or not. It's too far away for me anyway. What is important for me is that there are so many people out there who'd like to go to an Earthcache event. I love Earthcaches, and I know many don't. This bit of EC-love just feels good B)

I like (good) ECs, too, but I think that the love for ECs out there will not be different depending on whether 499 or 501 people attend the event. To me it seems important that those who attend the event enjoy it and that it becomes a success. Apparently, icons contribute, however, to the fun or enjoyment for some. That's what is really hard to understand for me.

Cezanne

Humans like to collect things, and will go to various lengths to add to their collections. Some will pay top dollar for a stamp, others will travel the world collecting handmade jewelry. Some collect photos, others collect "likes" on Facebook. And then others collect icons. And if a new icon can be collected while having fun at an event in a neat place, even better.

And well, it just sounds COOL to say "I was at a MEGA Event!" ;)

Humans like to collect things, and will go to various lengths to add to their collections. Some will pay top dollar for a stamp, others will travel the world collecting handmade jewelry. Some collect photos, others collect "likes" on Facebook. And then others collect icons. And if a new icon can be collected while having fun at an event in a neat place, even better.

And well, it just sounds COOL to say "I was at a MEGA Event!" ;)

Okay. I'm a map ho, and an NPS junkie! (Off to PEI and NL after the event! We shall learn what a drumlin is, and watch the tidal bore.) Yup. Some of us collect strange things. We're going because it's an EarthCache Event (and, of course, my sister lives nearby.) But, thanks. We'll take the MegaEvent icon as well! Hope there's lots of parking.

I hope we are going to get some good reporting from the event! I wish upon wish upon with I could be there. Just no money for the travel.

I am REAL excited about my two newest earthcaches getting published! Wanted to be there to chat with other earth geeks like myself.

Mark Case

Educaton Forum Moderator

The Event is almost upon us! Its is "1st International EarthCache Mega Event Eve"!

I would like to send out a huge thank you to everyone who has been involved:

The wonderful folks at Groundspeak.

The great team of folks in Maine

The fantastic team of geoawares!

The dedicated and highly supportive GSA E&O Staff

..and the folks who have supported EarthCaches and this Event!

I will try my hardest to say hi and thank you to you all at the Event (but I am sorry if I miss folks in the 700+ crowd)

...and yes, you can still attend. You can register on site or at the pre-Event registration at Delorme (2 Delorme Drive, Yarmouth Maine from 1pm till 5pm).

See you all soon...and again...THANKS!

Gary

Wow, what a time we had today at pre-reg! Thanks to everyone who came out to pick up packets, pre-register, attend the VIP Reception, participate in the Flash Mob, and volunteer with us. It was an awesome day and we can't wait till tomorrow. It's been great meeting so many awesome EarthCachers. Looking forward to meeting some more!

You can still register on-site tomorrow!

Best wishes,

GeoawareHQ

Were the sessions recorded for viewing by non-attendees? How about the power-point slides?

They were not recorded.

It is a thought though to consider for the future. The upside is the info will be made available in a wider forum. The downside, some may not attend if they can get the info online, plus having to get them online.

I attended a few. The one given by the National Park Service was my favorite. Giving their side of the story, and ways to work with parks.

Were the sessions recorded for viewing by non-attendees? How about the power-point slides?

They were not recorded.

It is a thought though to consider for the future. The upside is the info will be made available in a wider forum. The downside, some may not attend if they can get the info online, plus having to get them online.

I attended a few. The one given by the National Park Service was my favorite. Giving their side of the story, and ways to work with parks.