Is this a Scam?

Lloyd77

Neither the 'supposed girl-friend' nor the person who e-mailed the OP are geocachers. That seems pretty strange to start with. Reminds me of the thread "I gave the TB to my brother to drop in a cache in NYC, but he couldn't find the cache, so he left it hanging on a bench in Central Park. Can someone rescue it?" Yeah. That probably stayed there for five minutes! Goodbye TB.

Spam... Working for the same company for 25 years, I get about 100 spam messages a day. Usually from the same five groups. xxxxxx.threewords.net. or threewords.net &c. Oh. Those are the ones that make it through the spam filter! Same ads over and over and over. They change their url every day, and begin spamming again!

I used to have acustomer who shipped equipment to the Nigerian oil fields. Yup. Every message went into the spam filter. Sometimes I didn't get them for days! Well, yeah, That was the fault of the person in the office managing the spam filters. Not that she ever learned. Lost that customer...

I asked him to elaborate.

Dear Mark,

it´s actualy good that people share opinions when hearing about something unusual, it can prevent the community from the real scamers. However, I have nothing to hide. The whole idea of my request (and I´ve already found a nice person in Plymouth to help me) was, that i want to surprise a girl i fell in love with. We are both from Slovakia, but she is currently staying in Plymouth and I live and work in Bratislava. We´re not in relationship, I just fell deeply in love and want to show my feelings to her. I´ve already sent her a present to her address and I´d like to send another one, but do it in a bit more creative way. So I decided to find somebody in Plymouth to send a pair of earrings to, who would then go and hide it somewhere in the city, then take a picture of the hiding place and send it to me. I would then send the pic to the girl and ask her to find the place and the present. I´ve told my friend about the idea and he immediately described me the system of Geocaching, which I found hillarious and a great idea. So I´ve combined my idea with geocache and decided to use the GPS coordinates. Then I joined Geocache (which I´m looking forward to start playing) and started to check on some communities or individuals in Plymouth, who would be willing to help me with this exciting experiment.

Well, that´s pretty much the story. I hope it will calm those who´re afraid of scamers. Please forward this to those concerned, because I´m not shure which forum to look for to join and post this.

Best wishes to you and UK geocachers!

Kundycka

At the worst it could be considered unwanted attention. Since he lives a few thousand miles away, I don't anticipate any problem.

Dear Mark,

it´s actualy good that people share opinions when hearing about something unusual, it can prevent the community from the real scamers. However, I have nothing to hide. The whole idea of my request (and I´ve already found a nice person in Plymouth to help me) was, that i want to surprise a girl i fell in love with. We are both from Slovakia, but she is currently staying in Plymouth and I live and work in Bratislava. We´re not in relationship, I just fell deeply in love and want to show my feelings to her. I´ve already sent her a present to her address and I´d like to send another one, but do it in a bit more creative way. So I decided to find somebody in Plymouth to send a pair of earrings to, who would then go and hide it somewhere in the city, then take a picture of the hiding place and send it to me. I would then send the pic to the girl and ask her to find the place and the present. I´ve told my friend about the idea and he immediately described me the system of Geocaching, which I found hillarious and a great idea. So I´ve combined my idea with geocache and decided to use the GPS coordinates. Then I joined Geocache (which I´m looking forward to start playing) and started to check on some communities or individuals in Plymouth, who would be willing to help me with this exciting experiment.

Well, that´s pretty much the story. I hope it will calm those who´re afraid of scamers. Please forward this to those concerned, because I´m not shure which forum to look for to join and post this.

Kundycka

At the worst it could be considered unwanted attention. Since he lives a few thousand miles away, I don't anticipate any problem.

Yeah, well... we're talking about scammers, and he's talking about scamers. That's the way they work. You think they are agreeing with you, and simply have poor spelling skills, but the truth is... they deliberately misspell the words so they can pass lie detector tests and honestly say that they never claimed that they weren't scammers... they only said they weren't scamers. You have to watch out for this sort of thing.

Dear Mark,

Kundycka

Yeah, well... we're talking about scammers, and he's talking about scamers. That's the way they work. You think they are agreeing with you, and simply have poor spelling skills, but the truth is... they deliberately misspell the words so they can pass lie detector tests and honestly say that they never claimed that they weren't scammers... they only said they weren't scamers. You have to watch out for this sort of thing.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: