How can we raise logging importance?

beartooth72

I'm relatively new to caching, but I enjoy moving bugs and coins from place to place. My muggle friend and I recently took a road trip from Denver down to the 4 Corners and Farmington, New Mexico just to drop a bug near home. We've got another trip planned to Texas soon. What I want to know is why it is so hard for people to log bugs and coins when they pick them up. I've visited at least 10 caches this week that were supposed to have a trackable in it, and there was nothing :(. How can we raise awareness of the importance of logging them, or how can we make it easier and more intuitive so that people don't miss logging things when they find them? I know I'd be frustrated if I had something out there that disappeared for a year only to show up on another continent with no explanation or story of how its journey is going. Any ideas folks?

It'll be a miracle to get all the TB's logged properly.

There's a variety of reasons why they don't get logged. You gotta remember, a lot of people can't log them in the field and/or can't log them until they are at the computer and have time. Someone could have dropped off a TB the same day you picked it up but they can't log it until the next day (but you already picked it up). And similar situations like that.

Amoung other things, some folks aren't as dedicated to the game, forgetfulness, lost it, kids kept it, thought it was swag,

or plain don't know how??

Yeah, it is frustrating, but you'll get over it and move on to enjoy the game instead of worrying about what others can't seem to accomplish.

How about this:

When you go to the "log your find" page, if the cache has trackables listed in it, the trackable names are listed in big font with "Did you TAKE/DISCOVER/NOT SEE this trackable?" Users could choose to ignore this question, it wouldn't make a difference to them logging the cache, but the list might help them jog their memory.

If they did choose a trackable, another text window could open so they could say a few words about that trackable right on the cache page. The system already "auto-logs" that you dropped or visited a trackable to the trackable page. I find it a little annoying (but not angst-level annoying :lol: ) that I have to then go to the trackable's page and edit my log to write something or add a picture.

I have actually started putting a note on all of my cache pages directing people to a link on how to log trackables. I'm hoping this catches on, and we can educate people on the go. This is what I put on the page. Copy and paste it if you like, but make sure you click the html box above the description when building the page. Cheers!

<br />

<br />

If you have found a trackable item and are not sure how to log it, follow this link and read the information on how this works. Please make an effort to properly log travel bugs or geocoins.<br />

<center><strong><em><a href="http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=151" target="_blank"><font face="script mt bold" size="4" color="dark blue">Logging Trackables</font></a></em></strong></center>

you could start a Facebook page about trackables.

i'll be the first to join.

actually there is already at least one, but it's kind of inactive.

you could also join existing FB groups there are TONS of them.

i've personally joined about 100.

they're very open to ANY geocaching related topic..

i'll help if i can

EXMAN

My solution may be an over simplification but here it is. It's my belief that most TB's disappear because some cachers don't know what they are. For instance, somebody signs up on geocaching.com (not a premium member), finds 8 or 10 caches along with a TB or two and then quits the game. I personally never put a TB into a cache unless it's a premium member cache. This way only paying members will have access to the TB. If everyone would do that, I'm sure the number of missing TB would drop.

Edited by scottshuntingfamily

I think there should be a alpha/number in the cache so that the finder uses this number to prove they found the cache. Similar to the number on trackables. Logs get abused, wet, torn, scribbled on, incredibly small such as in nanos, and honestly they mean diddly squat to me. What is important to me is what is logged on line and what each cacher said. I HATE GSAK caches who use Nice Hide or TNLN or TFTC. What the heck does that mean. Nada to me for sure. I know I will get flack from all you purists but this is a forum to speak your mind. That is what I am doing.

I have a cache where the cacher visited 12 of my caches in one day and who knows how many more. Two days before his visit I got a notice from another cacher that the machinery that had the magnetic cache was gone from it's location. Yet one of these numbers guys posted that he found it. BS. I could care one way or another except he was happy to log another find even when the cache no longer exists. Make me wonder what his thousand of numbers logged represent. Just so many bragging rights which that and a buck will get you a cup of cheap coffee.

Put the TB in a ziplock bag along with a short notice that explains what the TB is and what a cacher should do with it.

Although it is a step in the right direction, putting a TB in a baggie isn't as good a thing as it initially appears that it would be.

A number of reasons why:

1. The bag ALWAYS contribute to making a TB larger -- especially when sealed full of mostly air;

2. Folding a bag ACROSS the zipper seal invariably makes it fail -- and it will happen, either this cacher or the next;

3. A bag, is destined to fail sooner that most any other device;

4. A failed bag ultimately causes loss or destruction of the mission sheet that it was meant to hold.

ATTACHING a card or tag (as Blue Deuce suggested) is the better method. Make it a part of the TB, not a loose item in a bag.

As an additional piece of advice, save the accompanying bead-chain for something else. Use a large split-ring or a cable fixed with crushable ferrule to attach the TB tag and the mission card to the traveler. Those junky bead-chains are slightly better than a baggie.

My solution may be an over simplification but here it is. It's my belief that most TB's disappear because some cachers don't know what they are. For instance, somebody signs up on geocaching.com (not a premium member), finds 8 or 10 caches along with a TB or two and then quits the game. I personally never put a TB into a cache unless it's a premium member cache. This way only paying members will have access to the TB. If everyone would do that, I'm sure the number of missing TB would drop.

That is a very good idea, I believe I will start doing that as well. I am very frustrated with the TB's I have out which turn up missing.

Personally, I can't believe it could be a lack of awareness.....I always include the "This is not ordinary SWAG" message attached to my TB's. I also explain how to log the find, and how to release the TB once they place it in another cache.

You can explain until you are blue in the face but if someone wants to keep it, they are going to keep it. There is a cache near my house where trackables appear to go to die...each one that is placed mysteriously goes missing. I have half-wondered if the CO is taking them! ;)

I think there should be a rule that you cannot TAKE a trackable unless you are LEAVING a trackable. At least then there will be some assurance that the person is of reasonable intelligence and understands the concept of trackables.

Really? A rule is gonna fix the problem? Who is gonna enforce the rule?

Unsolicited animosity....lovely.

I would imagine the same people who "enforce" the other geocaching rules....it would at least be a guideline which one would hope would make people think twice before taking a trackable item if their intentions were less than honorable.

Have a nice day!

I think there should be a rule that you cannot TAKE a trackable unless you are LEAVING a trackable.

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

You might like to do a search for "prison" in the trackables forums. (Hint: your idea is the perfect definition of one.)

This is exactly the type of incorrect idea that many people have been trying to counteract for some time now.

At least then there will be some assurance that the person is of reasonable intelligence and understands the concept of trackables.

How insulting is that? There's many reasons why trackables go missing, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to start throwing insults around at people you don't know.

B.