Front yard cache

up to you...I would mark in the description saying its your property, I also believe there is an attribute saying private property or something like that.

There are many folks who would probably skip a cache that seems to be at a residence, so if you want to try and lessen the # of folks who do so, the note that its on your property may help alleviate any fears a cacher has.

Is there any rules about caches on a cacher's property?

Nothing in the guidelines prohibit placing an otherwise guidelines-compliant cache on your own property.

Not everyone is comfortable entering private property if it looks like private property, so depending on the specific appearance of the location you might want to make it very clear on the cache description that the cache is placed on your own property.

up to you...I would mark in the description saying its your property, I also believe there is an attribute saying private property or something like that.

There are many folks who would probably skip a cache that seems to be at a residence, so if you want to try and lessen the # of folks who do so, the note that its on your property may help alleviate any fears a cacher has.

I'd even go as far as putting the house number in the description so there's no mistake. I've done a few yard caches and it would have been nice to know that I was clearly welcome to search a yard at a certain, verifiable address.

It is about 100ft off the sidewalk into our property, it will be attached to our fence.

There is no other houses on the road, so angry neighbors will not be a problem.

I would think long and hard about doing such a thing, no other houses in your area and asking strangers onto your property is tempting fate...Some cachers might see an opportunity to score some of your swag...Or even worse you might let your guard down thinking its a cacher when its not....I am paranoid though ever since I was broken in on, I too lived on a street with no neighbors in sight.

As long as you don't mind people combing and possibly destroying your property at odd times of the day and night, then by all means place one there.

If you enjoy being roused from a good sleep by your barking pet then definately do so.

If you enjoy people suing you because they slipped on your property in the Winter time then most definately place one there.

Then you have those cachers who will CONTINUE to try and find it after its been long archived.

Lol. Many things to consider. So many things can go oh so terribly wrong.

If someone wants to create a cache on their own property, they're welcome to do it. Using the Front Yard (Private Residence) attribute is pretty much a given... and if you don't want strangers coming onto your property 24/7, I suggest using three more attributes: Not a Night Cache, Not Available at Night, and Not Available 24/7. Sure, that's a lot of attributes, but we get 12 now... but also keep in mind that some people ignore attributes...

I've had a large cache on my front porch(es) (two different residences) since 2004.

Never been sued by clumsy geocachers.

Never had an issue with too much noise at night (many night visits, mind you).

No property destruction, ever.

Only one attempted visit to the first one after it was archived. (Since I had moved, I wouldn't have cared anyway! :lol: )

I have:

Met a lot of friendly cachers from all over the world who came to visit.

A convenient place to drop trackables when I can't drop them elsewhere as soon as I would have liked.

Do it, you won't be sorry.

I've had a large cache on my front porch(es) (two different residences) since 2004.

Never been sued by clumsy geocachers.

Never had an issue with too much noise at night (many night visits, mind you).

No property destruction, ever.

Only one attempted visit to the first one after it was archived. (Since I had moved, I wouldn't have cared anyway! :lol: )

I have:

A convenient place to drop trackables when I can't drop them elsewhere as soon as I would have liked.

Do it, you won't be sorry.

Glad to hear it. I just do not trust people, how many threads on here and posts can you find about how a geocacher destroyed an area looking for a cache, or those who are purposely causing harm...

But again I am bias because at one point my home was broken into..

I remember finding Mine's Bigger! on your front porch in July of 2004. Cache was huge - probably the biggest I've ever found. The swag was huge, too, like giant bobbleheads and clocks and furniture and stuff. :lol:

I also remember being scared witless that somebody was going to jump out of the cache or come storming out of the house as I arrived on the porch. :laughing:

I have:

I don't think you were home the day I logged that cache, but it would have been great to meet you. We did exchange a couple of emails within a day or two afterwards when I needed a hint on one of your other caches.

Slightly off topic I once toyed with the idea of creating a mailbox cache at the end of my drive way and putting the name Geoffrey Cash. The idea would be too weld the lid shut and have the mailbox on a hinge and hide the actual cache in the post...Sorta like a giant pez dispenser...but from what I understand it would have made to many people uncomfortable.

how many threads on here and posts can you find about how a geocacher destroyed an area looking for a cache, or those who are purposely causing harm...

A lot more than the number of caches I've found where the area was destroyed by geocachers. Other than a geotrail to some caches, I can only think of one instance in the the +1100 caches I've found where there was actual damage to the area.

I have found 6 caches that were in front yards or on the porch of the cache owner. I knocked on the door and spent some time chatting with the CO on four of then. For one of the other ones the CO came out to chat when they saw me searching for it. A month or so later I went caching with that person and had one of my all time favorite days of caching.

Slightly off topic I once toyed with the idea of creating a mailbox cache at the end of my drive way and putting the name Geoffrey Cash.

We have one something like that near me. Its a real mailbox outside of an abandoned home. The name on the mailbox is Geo. Cash, and the cache is listed as a letterbox hybrid! :lol:

It is one of the most highly favorited caches in my area.

how many threads on here and posts can you find about how a geocacher destroyed an area looking for a cache, or those who are purposely causing harm...

A lot more than the number of caches I've found where the area was destroyed by geocachers. Other than a geotrail to some caches, I can only think of one instance in the the +1100 caches I've found where there was actual damage to the area.

I have found 6 caches that were in front yards or on the porch of the cache owner. I knocked on the door and spent some time chatting with the CO on four of then. For one of the other ones the CO came out to chat when they saw me searching for it. A month or so later I went caching with that person and had one of my all time favorite days of caching.

I am hoping those people that I mentioned are still rare but we all know they are still some out there that want to ruin everyones fun.

It is about 100ft off the sidewalk into our property, it will be attached to our fence.

Attached to a fence? It's not a micro, is it? That leads me towards thinking it might be, but I could be totally wrong.

Many, many people don't like front yard caches, and don't do them. Some who know me might be surprised, I've probably done over a dozen, including I think 4 on one road trip when I had two 11 year olds with me, who weren't too interested in going on hikes in 90 degree heat.

Back to my first little mini-paragraph, every single one of the dozen or so I've found have been easy to find regulars, or even Large's. If I see a micro in someone's yard, immediate plonking on the ignore list. I'm not going to walk back and forth in someone's yard looking like an idiot looking for a micro with a scrap of paper to sign. The only possible exception would be extremely rural, as in the closest house is so far away, they couldn't even see me. :huh:

front yard caches, can be fun both for the CO and for the visitors

if made correctly to fit all !

I did try to find a few, both the good ones and the bad ones,

so I am very carefull to pick them from now on

rather not go if in any doublt it is not made correctly.

you know people will show up 24/7

and they will look until they find it,

they use large flashlights during night,

and they talk and yell and bring kids too,

some dont put stuff back correctly all the time,

you dont own a dog, right ?!?!

Edited by OZ2CPU

Attached to a fence? It's not a micro, is it? That leads me towards thinking it might be, but I could be totally wrong.

Many, many people don't like front yard caches, and don't do them. Some who know me might be surprised, I've probably done over a dozen, including I think 4 on one road trip when I had two 11 year olds with me, who weren't too interested in going on hikes in 90 degree heat.

Back to my first little mini-paragraph, every single one of the dozen or so I've found have been easy to find regulars, or even Large's. If I see a micro in someone's yard, immediate plonking on the ignore list. I'm not going to walk back and forth in someone's yard looking like an idiot looking for a micro with a scrap of paper to sign. The only possible exception would be extremely rural, as in the closest house is so far away, they couldn't even see me. :huh:

I decided to place one there. It is a micro, but it is something that isn't seen a lot. I promise it isn't just a film container sitting on top of a post.

I placed it in my yard so there would be less of a change that it would become detatched and make it pointless :D

One person has found it, didn't even know they were there.

front yard caches, can be fun both for the CO and for the visitors

if made correctly to fit all !

I did try to find a few, both the good ones and the bad ones,

so I am very carefull to pick them from now on

rather not go if in any doublt it is not made correctly.

you know people will show up 24/7

and they will look until they find it,

they use large flashlights during night,

and they talk and yell and bring kids too,

some dont put stuff back correctly all the time,

you dont own a dog, right ?!?!

I would rather people not show up at 3AM, but if it happens the cache is far enough away from my house that it won't bother me. Yelling would go with the constant sirens of the police station down the road a bit.

I wanted it there so I could check it frequently. If it doesn't get replaced correctly I can go out to fix it. We own many dogs, when they are not in the house they are usually in a pen or on a chain.

I decided to place one there. It is a micro, but it is something that isn't seen a lot. I promise it isn't just a film container sitting on top of a post.

I placed it in my yard so there would be less of a change that it would become detatched and make it pointless :D

One person has found it, didn't even know they were there.

OK, I might be the only one saying so, but I don't think I'm alone in saying micro vs. large would be a deciding factor on going for a front yard cache. Yes, I have seen people put film canisters in their trees, or hang bisons off their fence.

However, in your case, I would read the cache page, you say it's easy to find, and give your street address. Good one giving your street address. People definitely do end up in the wrong yard sometimes. Did myself once. Oh, also, since I had to find it from the list of your hides, I see you have boatloads of favorites points on your caches. I'd be there in a second!! (although I might not have looked at all your hides if it was just a cache I was looking at on a road trip).

So sounds good to me, I'd try it. But keep in mind you definitely won't get as much traffic as the local parking lot micro, or quick cache in a small park. There's just a sizeaable number of people out there who won't do yard caches. EDIT: Oh, I finally see you say there are no other houses in view of yours. The rural location thing might help traffic a little.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Heh, I just checked back in time and it looks like yours is on my list of my found front yard (porch) caches. I did that one about a year ago with my sister. We couldn't figure out how to get the thing open till a lady came by on her way in to bail us out. Good times.

As an aside though, we did, at first, take a peek into your old, beat up SUV with the Geocaching sticker on the back door thinking that, that HAD to be the macro cache.

I have arrived at GZ to three caches that were in a front yard. One was a fake cable TV monument with a fake robin sitting on it with a worm in its mouth. The second was a mailbox turned around backwards with a geocaching sticker on it. The third was in the yard in front of a picture window with a grandma sitting in a rocking chair (a real person) I passed on all 3. Most likely each was placed by the CO on their own property. Just not my thing. If I can't answer the question "what are you doing here" I move along.

I have arrived at GZ to three caches that were in a front yard. One was a fake cable TV monument with a fake robin sitting on it with a worm in its mouth. The second was a mailbox turned around backwards with a geocaching sticker on it. The third was in the yard in front of a picture window with a grandma sitting in a rocking chair (a real person) I passed on all 3. Most likely each was placed by the CO on their own property. Just not my thing. If I can't answer the question "what are you doing here" I move along.

+ 1

+ 1

+2

Depending on how detailed your description and hint is you need to be aware of the potential search area.

Being a micro people may look places that you may not intend for them to look or go. A good rule of thumb is 60ft for GPS users and up to 120ft for smart phone users.

Expect planter to be thoroughly checks and sometimes, accidentally dumped. Expect any nearby trees to be climbed and branches broken. Expect nearby storage containers, including trash cans, to be opened and left that way. If you have a porch in the vicinity expect the underside to be visited. Expect any garden gnome or similar garden statues to be molested on a regular basis. They will need to be sturdy enough to stand up to the foundlings. I know you mentioned that the cache wasn't going to be a film can in the top of a fence post but if you have metal fence posts I'd buy a couple extra caps for when ones you have don't find their way back on the fence post.

Expect any garden gnome or similar garden statues to be molested on a regular basis.

heheheh put up a webcam fo rthat :) lol and a motion light for night cachers! :lol:

Depending on how detailed your description and hint is you need to be aware of the potential search area.

Being a micro people may look places that you may not intend for them to look or go. A good rule of thumb is 60ft for GPS users and up to 120ft for smart phone users.

Expect planter to be thoroughly checks and sometimes, accidentally dumped. Expect any nearby trees to be climbed and branches broken. Expect nearby storage containers, including trash cans, to be opened and left that way. If you have a porch in the vicinity expect the underside to be visited. Expect any garden gnome or similar garden statues to be molested on a regular basis. They will need to be sturdy enough to stand up to the foundlings. I know you mentioned that the cache wasn't going to be a film can in the top of a fence post but if you have metal fence posts I'd buy a couple extra caps for when ones you have don't find their way back on the fence post.

Our driveway cache has been in place for over seven years and we have never experienced any of the issues you describe. We have met quite a few cachers and our neighbors get a kick out of the game.

Our driveway cache has been in place for over seven years and we have never experienced any of the issues you describe. We have met quite a few cachers and our neighbors get a kick out of the game.

I took a look at your driveway cache. First thing I noticed is that it is listed a regular sized cache. The OP's cache is going to be a micro. There are a lot more potential hiding spots for a micro than there is for a regular cache.

Another thing to your advantage is that your cache is in your own words "is ridiculously easy". However the OP said that his will be "something that isn't seen a lot". Which to me means that there will be some searching going on. It is wise to let people know what is off limits to being search or it will be searched. Like you did when you put "There’s no need to search vegetation." in the description to keep your vegetation from being molested searched.

I took a look at your driveway cache. First thing I noticed is that it is listed a regular sized cache. The OP's cache is going to be a micro. There are a lot more potential hiding spots for a micro than there is for a regular cache.

Another thing to your advantage is that your cache is in your own words "is ridiculously easy". However the OP said that his will be "something that isn't seen a lot". Which to me means that there will be some searching going on. It is wise to let people know what is off limits to being search or it will be searched. Like you did when you put "There's no need to search vegetation." in the description to keep your vegetation from being molested searched.

No argument with anything you say here. Set up the cache correctly. Set up expectations correctly. Everyone can have fun and nothing needs to be molested. :P

I use both a gps and smartphone if I have never had that big a gap with finding a cache worst was I forgot my gps and had to use my phone in some deep wooded areas and was 35 feet off

I use both a gps and smartphone if I have never had that big a gap with finding a cache worst was I forgot my gps and had to use my phone in some deep wooded areas and was 35 feet off

I am talking worse case and in a suburban or urban environment. The multipath interference can actually be worse between two houses or apartment buildings than in a forest. Also some smart phones will use WiFi to supplement and sometimes instead of the GPS signals. You have a better chance of getting a WiFi signal near a bunch of houses than near a bunch of trees. You just have to read the forums to find examples of this.

I am talking worse case and in a suburban or urban environment. The multipath interference can actually be worse between two houses or apartment buildings than in a forest. Also some smart phones will use WiFi to supplement and sometimes instead of the GPS signals. You have a better chance of getting a WiFi signal near a bunch of houses than near a bunch of trees. You just have to read the forums to find examples of this.

Our neighbor gets our wifi signal clearly in his house, but only when he plugs his phone in. :unsure: That said, our houses are like 15 to 20 feet apart (we have very narrow lots).

I've found a few caches in a few yards.

My great fear is that somehow the coords are off and I'm in the wrong yard. For that reason I hate yard caches.

Now if there is something so I can be sure I'm in the right place, like there's one cache on the front porch of a business. I was about to leave when I realized the clue was the address of the place. So then I searched.

I know people who will NOT do yard caches.

One house I was standing on the side walk looking at GZ and ready to turn and leave when the owner came out and told me to come on up.

I am most comfortable when there is some indication I'm at the right place. Otherwise, I am not likely to walk in someone's front yard.

I get very uncomfortable with dogs in the garden,

they are often barking and jumping up a fence looking for a way to get access to eat me,

whyle I try to find a front yard cache.

also when someone show up at 3AM your dog will wake you up and drive you nuts too..

so if you own a dog, and plan a front yard cache... DONT DO IT !!

or at least write a note about your dog in the cache page.