Get Notifications via email AND text message?

wisjanine

I created an email alias I use for gc.com, and that forwards emails to my personal email account and my phone's email service. So while I don't get full email content in SMS messages, I at least get a new email notification from Rogers, including the sender address (so I know if it's from geocaching.com, Groundspeak.com, etc).

If you're a good programmer, you could set up a script that could send you a txt msg after checking and parsing any incoming emails automatically :) but that's a bit of work...

at least with this notification method, I know to open my email app and check for new email.

Now, different providers may send different email notification content, so I'd say just play around with it, see if you can get email to your phone - that should happen immediately.

You can have the notifications sent to as many different email addresses as you like.

A text on your phone is similar to email, and is usually something like:

(your phone number)@mail.(your cell provider)

Different providers have different set-ups, so you need to check with your provider for the details. Also, there are websites that give this info for the various providers.

You can have the notifications sent to as many different email addresses as you like.

Yep. Just set up one forwarding email address which forwards to whatever addresses you want to receive emails, then use that as your account email here. Include your phone's email address in the list of forwards.

Another nice trick if you use gmail is that you can append text to the pre-domain recipient, and still receive it to the same account. eg, if my email were mypersonalemail@gmail.com, you could set up mypersonalemail+geocaching@gmail.com, and you would still get the email. You'd then be able to set up filtering for that recipient, and even forwarding (where you'd enter your mobile phone email).

Lots of little tricks out there.

But again, as described above, the easiest route:

* set geocaching.com account = mycachingemail@wherever.com -> setup forwarding to: mypersonalemail@wherever.com,mymobilenumber@myprovider.com